Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Now That We Have the Extra 3rd...

(11-02-2018, 04:23 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 02:44 PM)Kane Wrote: Winston and Mariota were followed by Wentz and Goff
and were preceded by Bortles and Manziel (iirc) (Teddy was the greatest thing to ever come out of college this year, he went 32nd)

The previous class has nothing to do with the future class and no one should ever compare them as if it matters.
Do you need a QB? Yes or no.
Yes? Get one... there are about 2-3 legit first rounders (guys with enough talent to succeed at the NFL level) every year and a handful of other guys (2nd and 3rd rd) worth diddlying around with in every draft
Now whether your coach staff can develop the kid or design an offense around him and whether the GM can give him the proper weapons and protection....
well... who knows lol

Did you really help your argument here?  My point was that I don't see a Wentz or a Goff in the coming draft, yet.  And as far as reliability and QBing, not one of the rest of the guys you mention is better than Bortles.  Some have better physical gifts, but not one is better at playing QB and winning than him.  I don't think you can spend a first round pick on a QB that is only "meh" because you'll be tied to him for the next five years.

I'm not sitting here pretending to be a talent evaluator.  But if there are good players out there, we start hearing about them early and consistently.  I watch mainly SEC games and a few Big Ten games.  No one has jumped off the screen at me.  Plus, everything I'm reading in the media by people who should know indicates that this is a shallow QB draft.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/inside...king-picks

1.  Justin Herbert, Oregon.  The only QB with a first round grade.
2.  Will Grier, WV.  Second day grade.
3.  Dwayne Haskins, OS.  Second day grade.  I've watched him.  Nothing special, especially in terms of accuracy.
4.  K.J. Costello, Stanford.  Second day grade.  Red shirt sophomore.
5.  Daniel Jones, Duke.  Third day grade.
6.  Drew Lock, Missouri.  Third day grade.  No, no, no.  Doesn't process information on the field well.  Accuracy problems.
7.  Ryan Finley, NC State.  Third day grade.  Lack of arm strength.
8.  Brett Rypien, Boise State.  Third day grade.  

There are a few more mentioned.  But they are all third day graded.

I'm not sure you can spend your first rounder on any of these qbs available at picks 9-20 (because I think we end up somewhere between 6-10 and 9-7).  If you can get them in the 2nd or 3rd, then by all means do.  I'm of a mind to draft a qb every year until we hit on one.  But we've got to have a staff than can develop a quarterback.  And I don't see Andy Reid or Kyle Shanahan walking through the door.  But I've been wrong before.

You don't always hear about the better QBs this early.  Mahomes was a 2nd round pick on many boards all the way up to March last year. Garappolo remained a 2nd round grade. 

I just looked at a board that has Herbert and Finley going in round one and Jarrett Stidham and Jake Browning as round two quarterbacks. This stuff is all over the map right now and the draft is a long way away. 

What the media is saying about these QBs will be a whole lot different come March and April. A few of them always move up boards. 

I have not "evaluated" any of these guys. But I'm hopeful the front office can identify one of them as an upgrade to Bortles.

Messages In This Thread
Now That We Have the Extra 3rd... - by Bullseye - 10-30-2018, 07:06 PM
RE: Now That We Have the Extra 3rd... - by Kane - 09-01-2020, 03:14 PM
RE: Now That We Have the Extra 3rd... - by Kane - 11-02-2018, 02:44 PM
RE: Now That We Have the Extra 3rd... - by NYC4jags - 11-03-2018, 09:12 AM
RE: Now That We Have the Extra 3rd... - by Upper - 10-30-2018, 08:17 PM
RE: Now That We Have the Extra 3rd... - by FBT - 11-01-2018, 08:52 AM