Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Marrone will make Minshew-Foles choice during bye

(11-03-2019, 05:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 03:53 PM)NoShoes Wrote: Repetitive screens and short routes is the definition of conservative

(11-03-2019, 04:03 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: You my sir, know nothing about football.

It's interesting to me how so many people think the play-calling was devoid of routes downfield.  

There are conservative elements to this offense to be certain. No doubt. We discussed at length this offseason the ways that DeFilippo would use quick hit plays to suit Foles strengths and many of us knew  that RB/TE passes and WR screens shy of the sticks were going to be part of the deal. In recent weeks those plays have produced YAC and no one complained about them.  Today they were defended well and it resulted in some frustration with the calls. 

Now, the downfield stuff:
I look forward to checking out the all 22 to know for sure, but I'm rewatching the broadcast now and I've already seen three plays in two possessions when there were guys going deep.  Cole was open downfield on one and Chark on another. The third play the camera didn't show the downfield guys, but they went deep and Gardner improvised the throw to Armstead for a big gain while being flushed.   The one for Cole was spoiled by QB pressure (blitz) and on the other to Chark -Minshew bought time but chose the checkdown which was incomplete to 27.

I think folks may not realize how many times they look deep but the trigger isn't pulled due to pressure, QB error, or simply good coverage. 

I'm also seeing a solid number of routes going intermediate beyond the sticks in the fourth and final possession of the first half I'm watching now. I'd be cool with a bit more play action on first or second down than what they dialed up in the first half, but I'm not really getting "ultra-conservative" here. Hell, they ran the ball 5 times in the half.

The second half featured plenty of looks downfield as they were playing catch up and had no choice. So that wasn't an issue. 

I think these conservative complaints may not be taking into consideration this playbook being modeled after what worked well for Foles in Philly  - and are clearly not considering the number of times receivers are not being thrown to downfield for various reasons.

One thing I noticed and the commentary team mentioned, Romeo Cornell was using a lot of disguises to help that secondary. They did a good job knowing where Minshew wanted to go. He got caught a few times waiting for his receiver to get open when he had others open. There was one pass where Cole had come underneath and was wide open.

I think he felt the Foles pressure today, all on this game and he tried to force a few things and got a bit too locked on but its Minshew trying to make something happen. I'm not going to criticize him for that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: NFL.com - Marrone will make Minshew-Foles choice during bye - by JagFan81 - 11-03-2019, 06:16 PM