Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Marrone will make Minshew-Foles choice during bye

Marrone will make Minshew-Foles choice during bye

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...during-bye

Following Sunday's loss, Doug Marrone told reporters he would likely make a decision between Nick Foles and Gardner Minshew by next Sunday.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Bye bye Minshew. This seriously makes me bummed for the rest of the season.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

[BLEEP] Marrone and the conservative play calling this week. I feel bad for Minshew.

I'm pretty sure that decision was made today.

(11-03-2019, 03:07 PM)Nikowho Wrote: [BLEEP] Marrone and the conservative play calling this week. I feel bad for Minshew.

It wasn't conservative.  He just didnt take the shots.

Stick with Minshew please. This season is over, we need all the evaluation of the rookie we can get.

(11-03-2019, 10:27 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: $88,000,000

It's difficult to ignore.

(11-03-2019, 03:40 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 03:07 PM)Nikowho Wrote: [BLEEP] Marrone and the conservative play calling this week. I feel bad for Minshew.

Repetitive screens and short routes is the definition of conservative

(11-03-2019, 03:40 PM)jj82284 Wrote:

You my sir, know nothing about football.

Who cares what decision he makes, him and the rest of the coaches are terrible.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019, 04:43 PM by Bullseye.)

(11-03-2019, 03:46 PM)Upper Wrote: Stick with Minshew please. This season is over, we need all the evaluation of the rookie we can get.

While there are arguments to be made for and against sticking with Minshew, I disagree with the notion the season is over.

Jacksonville may not be a playoff caliber team, but right now at 4-5, we're not officially out of it yet.

Considering we still have two games left against the Colts, at least a wildcard is a possibility.

(11-03-2019, 03:53 PM)NoShoes Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 10:27 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: $88,000,000

It's difficult to ignore.

(11-03-2019, 03:40 PM)jj82284 Wrote: It wasn't conservative.  He just didnt take the shots.

Agreed those were conservative calls.

We didn't run the ball very often.

What we don't know is what were called all those times Minshew held onto the ball and decided to finally dump it off or scramble.

I suspect the truth lies somewhere in those plays.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(11-03-2019, 04:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 03:46 PM)Upper Wrote: Stick with Minshew please. This season is over, we need all the evaluation of the rookie we can get.

While there are arguments to be made for and against sticking with Minshew, I disagree with the notion the season is over.

Jacksonville may not be a playoff caliber team, but right now at 4-5, we're not officially out of it yet.

Considering we still have two games left against the Colts, at least a wildcard is a possibility.

Yes, mathematically we still have a small chance of making the playoffs. No one is kidding themselves into thinking we are actually a good football team though.

We have 4 1st round draft picks in the next two seasons. That is ample ammo to make sure we get another whack at finding a real franchise QB.

The rest of this season should be spent evaluating whether we need to do that or not.

I'd say start Foles. Don't let Minshew develop bad habits under Marrone. We're probably not drafting a QB in 2020 -- not sure there's one we SHOULD take. Let Minshew develop, then the next coach can decide in preseason which QB to go with. Just my opinion.

(11-03-2019, 04:46 PM)Upper Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 04:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote: While there are arguments to be made for and against sticking with Minshew, I disagree with the notion the season is over.

Yes, mathematically we still have a small chance of making the playoffs. No one is kidding themselves into thinking we are actually a good football team though.

We have 4 1st round draft picks in the next two seasons. That is ample ammo to make sure we get another whack at finding a real franchise QB.

The rest of this season should be spent evaluating whether we need to do that or not.

I'm thinking the rest of this year and all of next year will be used to evaluate the QB position.

If the coaching staff is retained after this season, the first round picks will likely be used on more "immediate needs" positions like OL, TE, DT, maybe CB.  Due to his contract, Foles will be the presumed starter going into training camp, but if Minshew clearly beats him out, Minshew starts.  This way, the Jaguars will still have two first round picks in 2021 to be able to maneuver to trade up to get a QB if necessary.

If Khan cleans house, he will defer to the new brass in determining whether to pursue a QB.  Most likely, a new coaching staff and or GM are going to want their own new QB.

The best case scenario is that Foles or Minshew proves to be a franchise QB for us, no matter who the coach will be.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019, 05:12 PM by Upper.)

I just saw someone make a good point, this is the first time Minshew has faced a team for the second time. As the old adage goes in baseball, nothing matters the first time through the league. Once a team has seen you and made their adjustments, then you can start counting stuff for real. Hopefully there is a counter adjustment, because the round 2 victory emphatically went to the scouting report.

I'm unsure why this is even an argument. Minshew's stats have steadily declined as the league gets more film on him, and opposing DCs have started to exploit his weaknesses.He has guided the Jags to a losing record and had his worst game of the year in the biggest game of the year.

Nick Foles is a Super Bowl MVP who has experienced success at the highest level. At 30, he's just entering his prime as a QB, and the offense was designed around him. Minshew did a credible job and has cemented himself as Foles backup going forward. But this is Nick Foles' team, and it's time to hand the keys to the car back over to your 120 million dollar QB.

Vic said it best. When you have a vet and a rookie that are about the same, you always go with the younger guy.

They better not put Minshew on the bench. The kid is a gamer. There’s so many plays that he’s made that Foles can’t. Foles struck it rich with a run to the super bowl on a good team.

Heck, without Minshew we might not be where we are today. Stick with Minshew. Think long term.

(11-03-2019, 03:53 PM)NoShoes Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 03:40 PM)jj82284 Wrote: It wasn't conservative.  He just didnt take the shots.

(11-03-2019, 04:03 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:

You my sir, know nothing about football.

It's interesting to me how so many people think the play-calling was devoid of routes downfield.  

There are conservative elements to this offense to be certain. No doubt. We discussed at length this offseason the ways that DeFilippo would use quick hit plays to suit Foles strengths and many of us knew  that RB/TE passes and WR screens shy of the sticks were going to be part of the deal. In recent weeks those plays have produced YAC and no one complained about them.  Today they were defended well and it resulted in some frustration with the calls. 

Now, the downfield stuff:
I look forward to checking out the all 22 to know for sure, but I'm rewatching the broadcast now and I've already seen three plays in two possessions when there were guys going deep.  Cole was open downfield on one and Chark on another. The third play the camera didn't show the downfield guys, but they went deep and Gardner improvised the throw to Armstead for a big gain while being flushed.   The one for Cole was spoiled by QB pressure (blitz) and on the other to Chark -Minshew bought time but chose the checkdown which was incomplete to 27.

I think folks may not realize how many times they look deep but the trigger isn't pulled due to pressure, QB error, or simply good coverage. 

I'm also seeing a solid number of routes going intermediate beyond the sticks in the fourth and final possession of the first half I'm watching now. I'd be cool with a bit more play action on first or second down than what they dialed up in the first half, but I'm not really getting "ultra-conservative" here. Hell, they ran the ball 5 times in the half.

The second half featured plenty of looks downfield as they were playing catch up and had no choice. So that wasn't an issue. 

I think these conservative complaints may not be taking into consideration this playbook being modeled after what worked well for Foles in Philly  - and are clearly not considering the number of times receivers are not being thrown to downfield for various reasons.

Foles. He’s brought the philly team back from the dead last year to make a wild card. We still have a bit of a shot especially with the weak AFC.

5 running plays in the first half. That’s just nuts. Heck even in Madden you have to run the ball to keep your opponent honest.

Flip needs to utilize play action more often in early downs. It keeps them guessing.

(11-03-2019, 05:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 03:53 PM)NoShoes Wrote: Repetitive screens and short routes is the definition of conservative

(11-03-2019, 04:03 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: You my sir, know nothing about football.

It's interesting to me how so many people think the play-calling was devoid of routes downfield.  

There are conservative elements to this offense to be certain. No doubt. We discussed at length this offseason the ways that DeFilippo would use quick hit plays to suit Foles strengths and many of us knew  that RB/TE passes and WR screens shy of the sticks were going to be part of the deal. In recent weeks those plays have produced YAC and no one complained about them.  Today they were defended well and it resulted in some frustration with the calls. 

Now, the downfield stuff:
I look forward to checking out the all 22 to know for sure, but I'm rewatching the broadcast now and I've already seen three plays in two possessions when there were guys going deep.  Cole was open downfield on one and Chark on another. The third play the camera didn't show the downfield guys, but they went deep and Gardner improvised the throw to Armstead for a big gain while being flushed.   The one for Cole was spoiled by QB pressure (blitz) and on the other to Chark -Minshew bought time but chose the checkdown which was incomplete to 27.

I think folks may not realize how many times they look deep but the trigger isn't pulled due to pressure, QB error, or simply good coverage. 

I'm also seeing a solid number of routes going intermediate beyond the sticks in the fourth and final possession of the first half I'm watching now. I'd be cool with a bit more play action on first or second down than what they dialed up in the first half, but I'm not really getting "ultra-conservative" here. Hell, they ran the ball 5 times in the half.

The second half featured plenty of looks downfield as they were playing catch up and had no choice. So that wasn't an issue. 

I think these conservative complaints may not be taking into consideration this playbook being modeled after what worked well for Foles in Philly  - and are clearly not considering the number of times receivers are not being thrown to downfield for various reasons.

One thing I noticed and the commentary team mentioned, Romeo Cornell was using a lot of disguises to help that secondary. They did a good job knowing where Minshew wanted to go. He got caught a few times waiting for his receiver to get open when he had others open. There was one pass where Cole had come underneath and was wide open.

I think he felt the Foles pressure today, all on this game and he tried to force a few things and got a bit too locked on but its Minshew trying to make something happen. I'm not going to criticize him for that.