Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marrone: ‘I’ve been criticized even within the organization’

(11-27-2019, 11:46 AM)Corriewf Wrote: Sometimes I wonder how bad of a coach Marrone is. I’m your stereotypical fan that gets pissed and wants him gone, but sometimes when I dig a bit deeper...I wonder.

So, he doesn’t pick the scheme on offense and defense, that’s the coordinators. He may have his hands tied on coordinators as Tom and company tell him who those will be and decide on their continuing employment. Dave/Tom obtain the players with probably little regard for Marrone’s input. Then you have all the individual area coaches like QB coach and WR coach...etc etc..

We have a weird set up here with Tom running things. I wonder just how much Marrone has influence in.

Even benching Minshew was probably a call from the FO to Marrone saying get it done...

IDK how much input Tom and Dave have on coordinators... but as an HC he has control over his staff. He even put it on himself that they didn't run enough in the clots game. 
The players however... fully behind this notion that Doug and his staff could be handicapped by running a scheme and then having front office guys draft and sign guys that don't fit into it.
But then as a coach, positional or otherwise, you have to adapt to what you have.

I'm 50/50 on Tom making him put Foles in simply because Minshew had a rough game vs the Saints and then another one in London and that probably would have swayed the coaching decision anyway.
Had Minshew played better and we had won (or even played better in a loss) and they benched him anyway, then I'd be fully on board with the idea that the front office made him do it.

Either way... they drafted a running back that needs to run from the I and play QBs that need to play from shotgun (Bortles and Foles)
they draft and sign DBs good at man coverage and play more zone than most teams.
They draft a certain style of LB and play a scheme that obviously doesn't work for them.
The personnel selection doesn't and hasn't really meshed with most of the coaches and no one is adjusting one way or the other.

All evidence pointing to a complete house cleaning. The front office got a band aid in Coughlin when it wasn't doing well. The coach staff is headed by a guy who was on Bradley's staff that has gone through a couple different coordinators with mixed results.
It's a mess.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Marrone: ‘I’ve been criticized even within the organization’ - by Kane - 11-27-2019, 11:54 AM