Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marrone: ‘I’ve been criticized even within the organization’

(This post was last modified: 11-27-2019, 09:30 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2019/11/26...ganization

He gone

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This quote is also telling, when asked about Foles going on about building culture...

“You really have to ask him; you know what I’m saying?” Marrone said. “There are a lot of buzzwords and everyone has different definitions of it. I always look at it in this profession: winning. If you win, you have pretty good culture.

“If you’re losing, then either you don’t have a good culture, or you’re not good enough putting the players in the best position or you don’t have talent. Really, that’s kind of how I look at it.”

He's not exactly on the same message as Foles, is he? It's pretty much the point of saying "I don't really give a damn about culture anymore, I'm not gonna be around to be a part of it.

(This post was last modified: 11-27-2019, 10:39 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(11-27-2019, 10:33 AM)JagJohn Wrote: This quote is also telling, when asked about Foles going on about building culture...

“You really have to ask him; you know what I’m saying?” Marrone said. “There are a lot of buzzwords and everyone has different definitions of it. I always look at it in this profession: winning. If you win, you have pretty good culture.

“If you’re losing, then either you don’t have a good culture, or you’re not good enough putting the players in the best position or you don’t have talent. Really, that’s kind of how I look at it.”

He's not exactly on the same message as Foles, is he? It's pretty much the point of saying "I don't really give a damn about culture anymore, I'm not gonna be around to be a part of it.
To be fair to Marrone, we can probably count on one hand how many people are on the same page as Foles.  Maybe one OL, one WR, the OC, and Foles himself.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 11-27-2019, 10:40 AM by TrivialPursuit.)

(11-27-2019, 10:37 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 10:33 AM)JagJohn Wrote: This quote is also telling, when asked about Foles going on about building culture...

To be fair to Marrone, we can probably count on one hand how many people are on the same page as Foles.  Maybe one OL, one WR, and the OC, and Foles himself.

Foles: "Rainbows, Love and Unicorns.. hooray!"

Minshew: "This loss is unacceptable for me, my teammates and the fans of this great city. I will do all that's in my power to correct my own mistakes and play better for myself, my teammates and the fans"

That's how I imagine Minshew would have been after the tacks blowout.... compared to Foles sounding like a kindergarten student

(This post was last modified: 11-27-2019, 10:41 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(11-27-2019, 10:39 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 10:37 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: To be fair to Marrone, we can probably count on one hand how many people are on the same page as Foles.  Maybe one OL, one WR, and the OC, and Foles himself.

Minshew: "This loss is unacceptable for me, my teammates and the fans of this great city. I will do all that's in my power to correct my own mistakes and play better for myself, my teammates and the fans"

Thats also not fair.  Minshew isnt a 30 year old SB MVP that just got an 88 million dollar contract with like 50 guaranteed.  He actually is playing to earn his keep.  Foles is saving to break ground on his church.
Season Tix, Section 409

Jesus saves

Just not our season

(11-27-2019, 10:39 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 10:37 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: To be fair to Marrone, we can probably count on one hand how many people are on the same page as Foles.  Maybe one OL, one WR, and the OC, and Foles himself.

That's how I imagine Minshew would have been after the tacks blowout.... compared to Foles sounding like a kindergarten student

To be fair, Minshew probably wouldn't have let us get blown out that way, London game notwithstanding.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-27-2019, 10:49 AM)Kane Wrote: Jesus saves

Just not our season

[Image: tenor.gif]
Season Tix, Section 409

(11-27-2019, 10:58 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 10:39 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Foles: "Rainbows, Love and Unicorns.. hooray!"

To be fair, Minshew probably wouldn't have let us get blown out that way, London game notwithstanding.

He probably learned a few things in that game, and besides that, it was his first time playing overseas... in London.. not exactly a normal situation for a rookie. I give him a pass. I don't give a 30 year old QB a pass for the tacks blowout.

(11-27-2019, 09:30 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2019/11/26...ganization

He gone

RIP Marrone's tenure as head coach in Jacksonville.

Gone but forgotten

(11-27-2019, 11:02 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 10:58 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: To be fair, Minshew probably wouldn't have let us get blown out that way, London game notwithstanding.

He probably learned a few things in that game, and besides that, it was his first time playing overseas... in London.. not exactly a normal situation for a rookie. I give him a pass. I don't give a 30 year old QB a pass for the tacks blowout.

I absolutely agree, benching GM15 is the decision that killed Marrone's tenure here.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 11-27-2019, 11:47 AM by Corriewf.)

Sometimes I wonder how bad of a coach Marrone is. I’m your stereotypical fan that gets pissed and wants him gone, but sometimes when I dig a bit deeper...I wonder.

So, he doesn’t pick the scheme on offense and defense, that’s the coordinators. He may have his hands tied on coordinators as Tom and company tell him who those will be and decide on their continuing employment. Dave/Tom obtain the players with probably little regard for Marrone’s input. Then you have all the individual area coaches like QB coach and WR coach...etc etc..

We have a weird set up here with Tom running things. I wonder just how much Marrone has influence in.

Even benching Minshew was probably a call from the FO to Marrone saying get it done...

(11-27-2019, 11:46 AM)Corriewf Wrote: Sometimes I wonder how bad of a coach Marrone is. I’m your stereotypical fan that gets pissed and wants him gone, but sometimes when I dig a bit deeper...I wonder.

So, he doesn’t pick the scheme on offense and defense, that’s the coordinators. He may have his hands tied on coordinators as Tom and company tell him who those will be and decide on their continuing employment. Dave/Tom obtain the players with probably little regard for Marrone’s input. Then you have all the individual area coaches like QB coach and WR coach...etc etc..

We have a weird set up here with Tom running things. I wonder just how much Marrone has influence in.

Even benching Minshew was probably a call from the FO to Marrone saying get it done...

IDK how much input Tom and Dave have on coordinators... but as an HC he has control over his staff. He even put it on himself that they didn't run enough in the clots game. 
The players however... fully behind this notion that Doug and his staff could be handicapped by running a scheme and then having front office guys draft and sign guys that don't fit into it.
But then as a coach, positional or otherwise, you have to adapt to what you have.

I'm 50/50 on Tom making him put Foles in simply because Minshew had a rough game vs the Saints and then another one in London and that probably would have swayed the coaching decision anyway.
Had Minshew played better and we had won (or even played better in a loss) and they benched him anyway, then I'd be fully on board with the idea that the front office made him do it.

Either way... they drafted a running back that needs to run from the I and play QBs that need to play from shotgun (Bortles and Foles)
they draft and sign DBs good at man coverage and play more zone than most teams.
They draft a certain style of LB and play a scheme that obviously doesn't work for them.
The personnel selection doesn't and hasn't really meshed with most of the coaches and no one is adjusting one way or the other.

All evidence pointing to a complete house cleaning. The front office got a band aid in Coughlin when it wasn't doing well. The coach staff is headed by a guy who was on Bradley's staff that has gone through a couple different coordinators with mixed results.
It's a mess.

I guess the plan is to just ride out the season with this guy and let him go at the end? I hope so. I personally don't dislike Marrone. he's the type of dude you could probably have a few beers with and enjoy talking about football as fans. But as a coach he's not appearing to be that much different from Bradley at this point. I just don't get how a team can look so unprepared week after week when there is talent on the team. Even with the injuries and departures, it's just kind of insane.

Then again McVay is getting some ominous looks thrown his way right now too, so what do I know? I'm not smart enough to be a football coach.

(11-27-2019, 11:56 AM)Nikowho Wrote: I guess the plan is to just ride out the season with this guy and let him go at the end? I hope so. I personally don't dislike Marrone. he's the type of dude you could probably have a few beers with and enjoy talking about football as fans. But as a coach he's not appearing to be that much different from Bradley at this point. I just don't get how a team can look so unprepared week after week when there is talent on the team. Even with the injuries and departures, it's just kind of insane.

Then again McVay is getting some ominous looks thrown his way right now too, so what do I know? I'm not smart enough to be a football coach.

To be fair... neither is Marrone. lol

(11-27-2019, 11:46 AM)Corriewf Wrote: Sometimes I wonder how bad of a coach Marrone is. I’m your stereotypical fan that gets pissed and wants him gone, but sometimes when I dig a bit deeper...I wonder.

Nah.

It has been clearly established that Marrone hires his coaches in the conventional method. He has talked about it with much transparency.  He consults TC when he feels he wants his input as he values it greatly. He is not beholden to the FO with his staffing. Not at all. 

It's not a weird set up.
 Several teams around the league have a 'football czar" executive position similar to Coughlin's here. It's been around the league for decades now. 

The only weird element is that Coughlin carries with him this odd and polarizing aura to our fanbase because he represents winning, SB appearances/victories, and hard nosed coaching. But he also represents stubborness, antiquated thinking, salary cap mismanagement and player alienation. 

Just depends which of those things weigh heavier with individual fans in their perception of him.

(11-27-2019, 11:19 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 11:02 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: He probably learned a few things in that game, and besides that, it was his first time playing overseas... in London.. not exactly a normal situation for a rookie. I give him a pass. I don't give a 30 year old QB a pass for the tacks blowout.

I absolutely agree, benching GM15 is the decision that killed Marrone's tenure here.
Yup, at least he would have had that out...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Just for a little perspective here - a HC being criticized in the building during a losing season isn't unusual.
Why would it be?

Marrone said as much during the presser quoted here.

(11-27-2019, 12:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Nah.

It has been clearly established that Marrone hires his coaches in the conventional method. He has talked about it with much transparency.  He consults TC when he feels he wants his input as he values it greatly. He is not beholden to the FO with his staffing. Not at all. 

It's not a weird set up.
 Several teams around the league have a 'football czar" executive position similar to Coughlin's here. It's been around the league for decades now. 

The only weird element is that Coughlin carries with him this odd and polarizing aura to our fanbase because he represents winning, SB appearances/victories, and hard nosed coaching. But he also represents stubborness, antiquated thinking, salary cap mismanagement and player alienation. 

Just depends which of those things weigh heavier with individual fans in their perception of him.

Fair enough.. 

I just find it so hard to believe all these coaches through the years just suck? How can so many fail to produce? There always seems to be a disconnect between the front office and our coach as Kane suggested. Why? 

Maybe the problem has always been poor choices in the front office. I find that easier to accept than all of these coaches failing over and over...

(11-27-2019, 12:17 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Just for a little perspective here - a HC being criticized in the building during a losing season isn't unusual.
Why would it be?

Marrone said as much during the presser quoted here.

More so the specific of the critique, which highlights why our set up is a bit unusual. Especially when you view it in the context of Tom and his relationship + Tom as a whole throughout his career