Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
USA provokes War by killing Iran second in command

(01-03-2020, 08:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 07:59 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Of course they won’t be protesting their government, Marty. They were mowed down with machine gun fire the last time they did. Are these the protesters you believe will take up your banner of ‘Orange Man Bad’ and storm the ramparts against Trump’s imperialist aggression? Help me understand.

There's nothing in my post that is hard to understand.  

Yes, this was a bad guy.  But...

Assassinating a foreign leader means open season on foreign leaders, including American leaders.  This is a major escalation, and Iran cannot and will not back down.  Killing this guy makes him a martyr, and I don't think Iranians will be celebrating it any more than I would celebrate the killing of an American leader, no matter how much I detested said American leader.  The natural reaction is going to be uniting the people of Iran against the United States.  Even moderates in Iran, of which there are apparently many, will say it is not up to the United States to pick Iran's leaders.  

Would you tolerate the assassination of an American general by a foreign government?  

This is the kind of action that will reverberate for the next 30 years among middle easterners.  It's not something we can take back.  It's done.  The toothpaste is out of the tube.  

Trump came into office decrying the endless wars in the Middle East.  What he did yesterday could very possibly get us involved in a bigger, wider Middle Eastern war than we have ever been involved in.   

The only way this is not a blunder is if Iran backs down, and that won't happen.  

Again, this is my opinion at the moment, as always subject to change.

(01-03-2020, 08:41 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: The US took out the foreign military leader who led an attack against the US outside his own country. It was a measured proportional response that avoided killing Iranian citizens. This is exactly what should be done. It was perfectly in the purview of the President to respond to an attack on the US, and such a response doesn't need congressional approval like the idiot who JackCity quoted implied. I would have applauded Obama had he done something similar in Libya. Do you hate Trump so much that you will resort to defending Sulaimani?

As far as your question, if Iran initiates a further attack on the US then the entire Iranian navy is turned into artificial reefs.

Hey Iran, want to try another attack on the US? Make my day!

That's how you see it, but the more relevant questions are, how do the Iranians see it, what are they going to do about it, and is that what we want them to do?  And what happens then?  

Have we really thought this through?

In the run-up to the 2016 election, Trump was asking, why are we even over there?  Now it looks like he has flipped from isolationist to war hawk, and is willing to spend another trillion dollars just like he criticized past administrations for doing.  We've already blown several trillion dollars over there in these endless wars.  Now we're going to do it again?  

I'm not defending the guy who got killed.  He was a bad guy.  But the relevant question is, does this action advance our national interest?  Or does it send us down another rabbit hole with trillions of dollars down the drain?

Except that's the difference with Trump, at least so far. Responding to an act of war by another country does not make him a "war hawk." And make no mistake, the Iranian led attack on the US embassy in Baghdad was an act of war against the US. How would you have responded, by sending more pallets of money to Iran?

There was no need to spend trillions on the response to 9/11. Most of that was spent rebuilding Iraq and Afghanistan after they fell. The US could have (and should have in my opinion) just carpet-bombed Kabul into a wasteland after the Taliban refused to turn over Bin Laden and said "next time Islamic terrorists attack the US it's Mecca." That would have saved the trillions of dollars and a lot of American lives. Let the Middle East dictators hate us as long as they fear us to the point that they're afraid to attack again or give shelter to the terrorists. It worked with Libya, until Obama helped them overthrow Qaddafi, so we have actual historical evidence that this would indeed advance our national interest.

And killing an opposing military leader in a military action is not an "assassination" in any normal sense of the word, so you are just parroting the spin of the hate-filled Left. If an American general was killed by a military response in (say) Afghanistan then I would mourn him, but consider it a normal part of the war.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Messages In This Thread
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 01-03-2020, 07:59 AM
RE: homebiscuit - by The Real Marty - 01-03-2020, 08:50 AM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 01-03-2020, 09:20 AM
RE: homebiscuit - by The Real Marty - 01-03-2020, 09:44 AM
RE: homebiscuit - by TrivialPursuit - 01-03-2020, 09:54 AM
RE: homebiscuit - by MalabarJag - 01-03-2020, 10:36 AM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 01-03-2020, 12:03 PM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 01-10-2020, 07:08 AM
RE: homebiscuit - by Gabe - 01-10-2020, 10:35 AM
RE: homebiscuit - by flsprtsgod - 01-10-2020, 01:29 PM
RE: homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 01-13-2020, 08:24 PM