Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why does Todd Wash still have a job?

(01-20-2020, 08:22 AM)FsuClark08 Wrote: Wash is terrible,  I dont know why we kept ANY remnants of the Bradley era around, but keeping Wash is inexcusable. Teams know how to attack us. Same thing every week, no adjustments, barely blitzes, runs the same zone AND worst of all we have Ngakoue and Allen and he cant keep them on the field at the same time? Once Wash is gone he will be lucky to get a D2 gig

Fundamentally, I don't disagree. Though not everything here is accurate. 

Wash, to his credit, did blitz more in 2019. He went from a 19% blitz rate in 2018 to a 28% rate in 2019. That 28% is better than 17 other teams and more than double the rate of Bradley's defense in LA.  (speaking of Bradley remnants, I think we all wish we'd have kept Robert Saleh around, no?) 

I've also seen Wash make some good adjustments at times to shore up a problem.  There were even a few games this year that his defense had a much better second half than the first. 
Unfortunately, this doesn't happen often enough and we've seen him have little to no answers or adjustment for things like crossing routes vs zone, changing coverages  to  end TE vs LB mismatches, and constant misfits from his linebackers. The players' lack of preparedness to fix or defend this stuff and Wash's inability to counter in-game at times is indicting. 

I don't like his zone scheme or how (when) he employs it , and teams absolutely know how to attack the scheme.

Lastly, he did actually have Ngakoue and Allen rushing together on third down a fair amount this season if you watched closely for it and it stands to reason that we'll see that more and more. 

Wash is a very good D-Line coach and will likely find an NFL job doing that VERY easily when he is finally done here.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why does Todd Wash still have a job? - by NYC4jags - 01-20-2020, 11:02 AM