Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ngakoue announces he wants to leave Jaguars

(03-03-2020, 09:36 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 09:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: It doesn't grant him anything immediately, but if he has another big season of sacks, pressures, and forced fumbles and his team goes on to the postseason -  the publicity he will gain will translate into endorsements FAR easier and more abundantly than it would playing in Jacksonville

The stability thing is about 2021. Do you have any confidence the Jags will have the same coaching staff next year?  Do you even want that?  

I'm not trying to advocate Yannick's side of this thing as righteous. I'm merely trying to identify what I imagine to be his reasoning. I've hoped all along the two sides would iron out a deal and Yan is one of my favorite players. I'm dismayed at his imminent departure. But players have historically opted for larger markets when afforded the opportunity for good reason, and I'm sure those reasons factor into Yan's decision making process as well.

I saw a discussion by Brunell and Pepper on the news yesterday and they did not buy that argument.  And I kind of tend to agree.  He might get some local endorsements, but unless you are JJ Watt or Michael Strahan, how many big money national endorsements are there going to be?  Generally a DE is not going to be the face of the franchise for any major endorsement deals unless he is a perennial All-Pro.  And I just don't see that happening.  If he thinks this, I think it is just another example of him overvaluing himself.

It doesn't have to be some high profile national TV ad for him to profit. 

It could be the difference in free shoes from company X while in Jax to free shoes plus a $300K check for wearing that brand exclusively playing in a larger market with a greater % of TV broadcast.  The more exposure, the more ammo his agent has to wheel and deal with, and I'd wager his agent is in his ear about this stuff. Every small opportunity adds up and these guys and their agents covet the added exposure whether they are able to parlay it or not. 

When it comes down to it, I firmly believe the primary motivation in all of this is simply Ngakoue wanting out of what he views as a dysfunctional organization. (not endorsement opportunity) 
I wish we were privy to all the details that have resulted in him feeling that way. I have a feeling these threads would be a lot more open and shut in nature.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Messages In This Thread
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 03-02-2020, 09:39 AM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 03-02-2020, 10:55 AM
RE: homebiscuit - by NYC4jags - 03-02-2020, 11:16 AM
RE: Ngakoue announces he wants to leave Jaguars - by NYC4jags - 03-03-2020, 10:00 AM