Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The left is getting really, really stupid

(08-07-2020, 12:37 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 10:27 AM)Kane Wrote: Just as much as people triggered by NAMES?
Jacksonville, Jackson Mississippi, Jackson Hole Wyoming... It isn't just schools we're talking about people trying to erase history via schools, roads, statues, libraries, city and town names.
There is a lot of Jackson and Lee stuff out there.
And setting the precedent leaves the door open for removing every Washington, Lincoln, Adams....

1984 here we come.

City names are not history.  Neither are statues.  Taking down statues does not erase history.  

Personally, I am in favor of re-naming things that are named after Confederate generals.  Those people do not deserve statues or names on high schools.  

As for Andrew Jackson?  That's probably going too far.  Although I am no admirer of that guy.  And Washington?  No way.  Washington was the greatest man that ever walked on this continent.  That's where I come down.

City names are frequently historical in nature and statues are monuments to people or events considered significant, occasionally currently, more often at a previous point in time.  Taking down a statue does not erase history, but it does eliminate a specific memory of it.  For some, a marker representing the country's darkest hour is far more important than one celebrating the best of times.  Memories of adverse times and events in our nation's history need not be eliminated, instead they can serve to illustrate our progression and remind us to continue. 

I don't necessarily disagree with renaming schools, but that is not my decision to make and there is no objective way to measure "deserving".

While you may believe targeting Andrew Jackson is going to far, other may feel that's not far enough and therein lies the real problem........if you start, where do you stop?  There is a group on the left that will never be satisfied.  If we give in to a statue today, what happens tomorrow when they demand the twenty dollar bill?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Messages In This Thread
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 08-06-2020, 10:32 AM
RE: The left is getting really, really stupid - by Sneakers - 08-08-2020, 01:38 PM
Copycat - by copycat - 08-09-2020, 05:55 PM
Copycat - by copycat - 08-09-2020, 06:57 PM