Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The left is getting really, really stupid

NW Film Center Has Canceled an Outdoor Screening of “Kindergarten Cop” Following Complaints

“It’s true Kindergarten Cop is only a movie. So are Birth of a Nation and Gone With the Wind, but we recognize films like those are not ‘good family fun.’”

Duval School Board To Consider Renaming Jackson, Ribault High Schools, Ribault Middle

The Duval County School Board will launch the process to consider renaming three additional schools, the namesakes of which are tied to the marginalization of Native Americans.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Honestly that author would be better off just shutting herself in a cabin on top of a mountain rather than filling that kind of hate-filled rhetoric to kids and parents.

If they decide to rename Andrew Jackson high school does that mean we should also rename the city ?

The Left GETTING Stupid........., They have been stupid for as Long as I remember
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(08-05-2020, 11:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If they decide to rename Andrew Jackson high school does that mean we should also rename the city ?

I can't help but believe that's part of the long game.

(This post was last modified: 08-05-2020, 12:42 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Rename Jacksonville to Brownsville after Corrine Brown

Go Gata

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgbBP9Em00A

(This post was last modified: 08-05-2020, 02:12 PM by mikesez.)

I get worked up about a lot of stuff
Renaming schools... not one of them. Obviously changing Forrest High to westside high is a positive change, but I wasn't worked up about it either way. Forrest had no connection to Jacksonville when he was alive. There might be better names than Ribault out there, but at least Jean Ribault had a connection to Jacksonville.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Rename Ribault to Sunshine Academy or something like that to get all the kids feeling really happy as they enter the facilities. I bet that change alone would improve their D minus minus rating.

how about they spend the name change money on actually educating the kids

I didn’t even know Ribault was a person? But yea how long until Jacksonville isn’t acceptable as a city name?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 08-05-2020, 10:21 PM by mikesez.)

(08-05-2020, 10:06 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I didn’t even know Ribault was a person? But yea how long until Jacksonville isn’t acceptable as a city name?

He was a real person.
He was killed by Pedro Menendez
So today in Duval County you have Jean Ribault High School, and in neighboring St Johns County you have Pedro Menendez High School.
If they ever have a football game against each other, hopefully no one tries to reenact the history...
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

people still triggered by name changes I see

(08-06-2020, 09:01 AM)JackCity Wrote: people still triggered by name changes I see

DCSB wasted a million tax dollars on name changes last year. That's my trigger.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-06-2020, 09:01 AM)JackCity Wrote: people still triggered by name changes I see

People have a right to reject change. Triggered is such an inappropriate word.

(08-05-2020, 11:09 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Title:  The left is getting really, really stupid

The Left and Right have already gone well beyond stupidity.

Not at equal rates. I used to understand leftist positions. Now the crazies have a complete stranglehold on the narrative. I think Dems are still trying to hold, but not for long.

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2020, 10:08 AM by homebiscuit.)

(08-06-2020, 09:13 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote:

People have a right to reject change. Triggered is such an inappropriate word.

Rejecting change and rejecting change for legitimate reasons is the distinction.

(08-06-2020, 09:53 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 11:09 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Title:  The left is getting really, really stupid

The Left and Right have already gone well beyond stupidity.

I have to agree with Lucky2Last on this. The left has gone off the deep end and there seems to be no one at the wheel.

(08-06-2020, 10:06 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 09:13 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: People have a right to reject change. Triggered is such an inappropriate word.

Rejecting change and rejecting change for legitimate reasons is the distinction.

(08-06-2020, 09:53 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: The Left and Right have already gone well beyond stupidity.

I have to agree with Lucky2Last on this. The left has gone off the deep end and there seems to be no one at the wheel.

Legitimacy being in the eye of the beholder of course

(08-06-2020, 10:23 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 10:06 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Rejecting change and rejecting change for legitimate reasons is the distinction.

The social effect as compared to the financial cost of the change lends to the legitimacy. It’s petty and only serves to cater to the unrealistic purity tests attributed to historical figures.

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2020, 12:07 PM by Lucky2Last.)

(08-06-2020, 10:23 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 10:06 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Rejecting change and rejecting change for legitimate reasons is the distinction.

I can understand how people on the left think the liberty/tea party conservatives are extreme. Even I think that radical libertarians are mistakenly trying to create their own type of "utopia." I am speaking directly to the type of libertarian that is almost an anarchist. All conservatives should recognize state power, or they are moving away from the founding documents. However, even this warped view is at least in the spirit of founders (in that it relies on individualism). One also needs to take into account whether the extremes are legitimized in the mainstream, which I don't feel is the case with the right (or shrinking), but the same can not be said on the left (which is growing rapidly).

So, I believe legitimacy for the right does, in fact, hold more water than legitimacy for the left. I can see how someone who isn't from this country and didn't grow up with these values might not agree with those principles, but that is different from legitimacy. To clarify, I am using this definition of legitimacy: accordant with law or with established legal forms and requirements. The progressive left in this country isn't even in the ballpark.