Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So where do we go in the first round/draft plan?

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2021, 05:36 PM by TheDuke007.)

Let's look at the various positions and whether they would fit at the #25 overall pick:

Offensive Tackle - I think it is a huge need, but does Meyer/Baalke?  I don't think so.  The evidence just keeps pointing away from it.  They kept the same offensive line coach.  They franchised Cam Robinson which I know some will say is insurance, but it was a very expensive insurance policy.  Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Meyer/Baalke even made a single call to Trent Williams, Riley Reiff (who was very affordable), or any other tackle in free agency.  In a question regarding whether he would be open to signing Robinson to a long term deal before the season, Meyer basically said "sure".  When I listen to that interview, it just doesn't sound like coach speak to me.  I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think they are planning to take a tackle.

Tight End - This is a huge need, but does value meet need at this spot?  Kyle Pitts will be long gone and most consider Freiermuth a reach at this spot.  Most mocks have Freiermuth available at our #33 spot and it's not uncommon to find two round mocks that still have him available at #45.

Safety - We got Jenkins for one starting spot, but I think Jarrod Wilson at the other spot could easily be upgraded.  The best safety may still be available at #25.  I could easily see us going safety.

OLB - We already have first rounders invested in Chaisson and Allen, but we don't know how well they will transition to the 3-4, particularly Chaisson who struggled in the 4-3 last year.  This is a spot where you can rotate and we currently have no depth.  OLB is a possibility at #25.

Defensive End - We signed a bunch in free agency which makes me think we'll go elsewhere in the draft.  However, if there was a star quality player here, it could make sense.

Wide Receiver - I hear some people wanting to take a receiver high in the draft.  However, I'm not one of them.  I think we have a strong trio of Chark, Jones, and Shenault with Johnson/Dorsett for fourth/fifth duties.  It's true that Jones is older so you could start drafting his replacement, but I think we should prioritize today's problems over tomorrow's problems.  You never know whether Colliin Johnson develops or we find a diamond in the rough somewhere else over the next two years.  

Center/Guard - It fees like our starters for 2021 are set here.  Even if they wanted to get a player for next year and clear some salary cap space in the off-season, the #25 spot doesn't feel like the place.  Interior offensive linemen often drop in the draft.

Running Back - James Robinson arguably played at a pro-bowl level last year as a rookie.  Many want us to get a speedy complimentary back, but you don't do that at #25.  Running backs routinely fall in the draft.

ILB - We have too much money invested in Jack and Shobert.  In 2021, it would cost us more to cut them.  I don't see ILB at #25.  

CB - Our most expensive free agent was at cornerback and we already have a top 10 pick on the roster.  We even have Sidney Jones for a #3 guy.  I can't see us going CB here.

Nose Tackle - We added Brown and we already had Hamilton.  There's no need here.

Quarterback - Big need, but we're a lock to take it at #1.  No way we take a backup quarterback at #25.

Special Teams - Obviously not.

Messages In This Thread
Black and Teal - by Black and Teal - 03-21-2021, 04:57 AM
RE: So where do we go in the first round/draft plan? - by TheDuke007 - 03-21-2021, 04:25 PM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 04-05-2021, 12:06 PM
RE: homebiscuit - by Bullseye - 04-05-2021, 12:27 PM
RE: homebiscuit - by flgatorsandjags - 04-05-2021, 04:17 PM
RE: homebiscuit - by Bullseye - 04-05-2021, 06:36 PM
RE: homebiscuit - by jaguarmvp - 04-05-2021, 08:36 PM
Jags32250 - by Jags32250 - 04-07-2021, 12:55 PM