Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So where do we go in the first round/draft plan?

I think we had a great free agent class. I think we plugged every hole except tight end. Of course ANY position can be upgraded, but the discomfort of “dire need” has vanished. Now it seems like we don’t have to draft for need anymore. But truly BPA. I think we’ll have a tight end solution before the draft (Zach Ertz). But if I were the Jaguars, I still work the D-Line. If Jaelan Phillips is available at 25, I think we snag him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2021, 01:53 AM by iHaunting Raven.)

(03-21-2021, 12:53 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: I think we had a great free agent class. I think we plugged every hole except tight end. Of course ANY position can be upgraded, but the discomfort of “dire need” has vanished. Now it seems like we don’t have to draft for need anymore. But truly BPA. I think we’ll have a tight end solution before the draft (Zach Ertz). But if I were the Jaguars, I still work the D-Line. If Jaelan Phillips is available at 25, I think we snag him.

Laughing Laughing

Oh yeah this team is stacked! playoffs for sure!

This team needs:

OT
TE
RB - after Robinson there is nothing but an old and average Hyde
Pass rusher - Allen was average at best and Chaisson has proven nothing, besides what do we have if one of them goes down?
S

Not to mention all the positions we can upgrade.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2021, 02:10 AM by Black and Teal.)

It’s like you didn’t even read. I mention tight end multiple times. “Not to mention all the positions we can upgrade.” I also mention this. Literally in back to back sentences. I’m saying we aren’t forced to draft for need outside. We aren’t stacked. I know this. But you’re saying junk like “what happens if Josh Allen goes down” and my last sentence is literally “if Jaelan Phillips is there at 25, we should snag him.” This team can upgrade ALL OVER the board. Just want to talk football and you’re pulling one sentence out of context.

I'm kinda hoping we don't go for Ertz. I guess we got our blocking TE, I'm willing to wait for the move tight end to pick up in the draft this year or next or in FA next year. And just use O'Shaughnessy in the meantime. It would be nice if the Penn State TE is really good and that our TE coach loves him. I'd also like that to be in 2nd round not first.

I don't know if the fact Davis from last years draft is still around is significant while Oliver is gone.

I'd also like to grab an offensive lineman with one of those 1st or 2nd round picks. I'm hoping someone like Alex Leatherwood falls.

I think 1st round with the 25th pick has to be either OLB/DE to support Allen/Chaisson, or OT to challenge Robinson/Taylor for a starting place.

Post the the first round it has to be, TE, S, RB and a nickel CB.

However this being said, having done a bunch reading up on Ward I think he is there as the support to Allen/Chaisson so I am
Not sure the management will see this the same way. This is the same for the OL. With what they are saying I reckon it’s more likely they address that with a 4th rounder.

I reckon it will be similarly to TLaw, Moehrig, Freiermuth, Bolton.

^I’m with you, I’d much rather address tight end in the draft but I’m not opposed to the Jags going after Ertz. I think he could be better than anyone we’d draft in the 5th—which is what I see him being traded for.

(03-21-2021, 12:53 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: I think we had a great free agent class. I think we plugged every hole except tight end. Of course ANY position can be upgraded, but the discomfort of “dire need” has vanished. Now it seems like we don’t have to draft for need anymore. But truly BPA. I think we’ll have a tight end solution before the draft (Zach Ertz). But if I were the Jaguars, I still work the D-Line. If Jaelan Phillips is available at 25, I think we snag him.

We still have a dire need at OT. Anyone who has seen any significant amount of Jaguars' games and watched Cam Robinson and Jawaan Taylor play, knows this. That was our biggest need before free agency and it looks like it will be our biggest need going into the draft. We must protect Trevor Lawrence.

Black And Teal, I am not sure where i stand on the TE now. It’s a real need. I think our back office may have really missed in FA. Letting Smith and Henry slip from our grasp. But I am not sure Freiermuth has value at 33 which is where we will have to take him to prevent him going before 45.

O-Line, OT is by far our biggest need after QB. Really listening to interviews with Meyer, Baalke and other staff I don’t think the office view this as such a need - I highly disagree. I don’t think this is some tactic either to discourage other teams about our plans. There is always that trade off between hiding plans and keeping current players happy, they have swayed to much towards the latter that picking OL will create a bad atmosphere in that room which is exactly what Meyer doesn’t want.

(03-21-2021, 05:15 AM)BristolianJaguar Wrote: Black And Teal, I am not sure where i stand on the TE now. It’s a real need. I think our back office may have really missed in FA. Letting Smith and Henry slip from our grasp. But I am not sure Freiermuth has value at 33 which is where we will have to take him to prevent him going before 45.

O-Line, OT is by far our biggest need after QB. Really listening to interviews with Meyer, Baalke and other staff I don’t think the office view this as such a need - I highly disagree. I don’t think this is some tactic either to discourage other teams about our plans. There is always that trade off between hiding plans and keeping current players happy, they have swayed to much towards the latter that picking OL will create a bad atmosphere in that room which is exactly what Meyer doesn’t want.

I fear you are right and it makes me have zero confidence in this front office and coaching staff. If they cannot see the obvious, we don't stand a chance. This is a very good draft class for OT's. Next year may not be the same and I don't wanna reach for an OT in 2022 that would only be a slight upgrade over the crappy OT's we have now. We had a perfect chance to bring in Riley Reiff, who would've been a solid upgrade over Robinson and a HUGE upgrade over Taylor. Instead, we let the Bengals steal him for 1 year $7.5 million and we'll end up paying Robinson in the neighborhood of $14 million on that franchise tag in 2021 to be a significantly worse player.

Or it could be a smoke screen. I'm sure they are aware of the OT play. First two rounds, in no particular order after QB, should be getting an OT and TE. They could even trade for another team's OT or TE during the draft if they couldn't get their guy.

(03-21-2021, 09:12 AM)Jagulars Wrote: Or it could be a smoke screen. I'm sure they are aware of the OT play. First two rounds, in no particular order after QB, should be getting an OT and TE.  They could even trade for another team's OT or TE during the draft if they couldn't get their guy.

I don't think it's a smokescreen, unless they intend to trade up. So many teams ahead of us need OT's. Currently, I see.....

5. Cincinnati- Penei Sewell, Oregon
13. L.A. Chargers- Rashawn Slater, Northwestern
14. Minnesota- Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech
19. Washington- Teven Jenkins, Oklahoma State
24. Pittsburgh- Samuel Cosmi, Texas
31. Kansas City- Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame

If we wait until pick #33, there's not gonna be much left and this is if teams follow this guesstimate. Teams like Indianapolis, Las Vegas, Miami, Chicago, Tennessee and New York Jets could all take an OT in round 1 as well, depending on who is on the board. They should go quick. IMO, a trade up is the only way we are gonna be able to secure a really good one.

The TE class outside of Pitts isn’t very good this year. I would go best available between S and OL.

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2021, 11:11 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

If we are indeed transitioning to a 3-4, we need a LB to fill the Poz role (e.g. 100+ tackles).  The Steelers used to use James Farrior, Larry Foote and later on Lawrence Timmons in the 2 inside LB roles.  None of them would have been significant on other teams but they played a key role in each making 100+ tackles per year.  We need that guy who's going to be here the next 10 years and play that Poz-type role as we let our OLBs blitz and guard the TEs coming across the middle.

That said, I'd consider a LB at #25.  Either Zaven Collins (Tulsa) @ ILB  or it may be too tough to pass up on Koramoah (ND) @ OLB with all his speed and agility as I think Urban will want to build a fast team.

All that is BS, your opinion or just speculation.

(03-21-2021, 02:08 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: It’s like you didn’t even read. I mention tight end multiple times. “Not to mention all the positions we can upgrade.” I also mention this. Literally in back to back sentences. I’m saying we aren’t forced to draft for need outside. We aren’t stacked. I know this. But you’re saying junk like “what happens if Josh Allen goes down” and my last sentence is literally “if Jaelan Phillips is there at 25, we should snag him.” This team can upgrade ALL OVER the board. Just want to talk football and you’re pulling one sentence out of context.

Maybe because half of your post is complete nonsense.

You say TE but at the same time you say but the discomfort of “dire need” has vanished when we have nothing at the position.
On Jaelan Phillips, that is your opinion on who we should take but you never said it was a need because according to you we don't have needs, except TE, but then again we don't have needs  Laughing
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(03-21-2021, 02:08 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: It’s like you didn’t even read. I mention tight end multiple times. “Not to mention all the positions we can upgrade.” I also mention this. Literally in back to back sentences. I’m saying we aren’t forced to draft for need outside. We aren’t stacked. I know this. But you’re saying junk like “what happens if Josh Allen goes down” and my last sentence is literally “if Jaelan Phillips is there at 25, we should snag him.” This team can upgrade ALL OVER the board. Just want to talk football and you’re pulling one sentence out of context.

TLDR: flashcards please...
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(03-21-2021, 04:10 AM)newporttom Wrote: I'm kinda hoping we don't go for Ertz. I guess we got our blocking TE, I'm willing to wait for the move tight end to pick up in the draft this year or next or in FA next year. And just use O'Shaughnessy in the meantime. It would be nice if the Penn State TE is really good and that our TE coach loves him. I'd also like that to be in 2nd round not first.

I don't know if the fact Davis from last years draft is still around is significant while Oliver is gone.

I'd also like to grab an offensive lineman with one of those 1st or 2nd round picks. I'm hoping someone like Alex Leatherwood falls.

(03-21-2021, 11:28 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:

All that is BS, your opinion or just speculation.

Maybe because half of your post is complete nonsense.

You say TE but at the same time you say but the discomfort of “dire need” has vanished when we have nothing at the position.
On Jaelan Phillips, that is your opinion on who we should take but you never said it was a need because according to you we don't have needs, except TE, but then again we don't have needs  Laughing

“You say tight end” yes, I did. That’s really where it begins and ends. I’m talking dire needs, not back up roles, depth position, or upgradeable positions. I’m talking Cowboys in dire need of a CB, Bengals in dire need of an OT, Eagles in dire need of a WR. Titans in dire need of a pass rush. You are correct—my opinion. I just feel differently than you, man. That’s all and that’s ok. When I say dire I mean we have to identify this position and hole. Again, we can upgrade *everywhere* and yet I still feel like we addressed a lot. And I said Tight End, which was my one caveat. If you want to go tight end in the first all you got to do is say that. Then you go on to mention *back up running back* when our best player last year was a running back. I have mentioned many times that we have needs. You’re being obtuse and arguing for the sake of arguing. It’s like you’re trying to play this “got’cha” game and I just want to talk football.

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2021, 05:36 PM by TheDuke007.)

Let's look at the various positions and whether they would fit at the #25 overall pick:

Offensive Tackle - I think it is a huge need, but does Meyer/Baalke?  I don't think so.  The evidence just keeps pointing away from it.  They kept the same offensive line coach.  They franchised Cam Robinson which I know some will say is insurance, but it was a very expensive insurance policy.  Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Meyer/Baalke even made a single call to Trent Williams, Riley Reiff (who was very affordable), or any other tackle in free agency.  In a question regarding whether he would be open to signing Robinson to a long term deal before the season, Meyer basically said "sure".  When I listen to that interview, it just doesn't sound like coach speak to me.  I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think they are planning to take a tackle.

Tight End - This is a huge need, but does value meet need at this spot?  Kyle Pitts will be long gone and most consider Freiermuth a reach at this spot.  Most mocks have Freiermuth available at our #33 spot and it's not uncommon to find two round mocks that still have him available at #45.

Safety - We got Jenkins for one starting spot, but I think Jarrod Wilson at the other spot could easily be upgraded.  The best safety may still be available at #25.  I could easily see us going safety.

OLB - We already have first rounders invested in Chaisson and Allen, but we don't know how well they will transition to the 3-4, particularly Chaisson who struggled in the 4-3 last year.  This is a spot where you can rotate and we currently have no depth.  OLB is a possibility at #25.

Defensive End - We signed a bunch in free agency which makes me think we'll go elsewhere in the draft.  However, if there was a star quality player here, it could make sense.

Wide Receiver - I hear some people wanting to take a receiver high in the draft.  However, I'm not one of them.  I think we have a strong trio of Chark, Jones, and Shenault with Johnson/Dorsett for fourth/fifth duties.  It's true that Jones is older so you could start drafting his replacement, but I think we should prioritize today's problems over tomorrow's problems.  You never know whether Colliin Johnson develops or we find a diamond in the rough somewhere else over the next two years.  

Center/Guard - It fees like our starters for 2021 are set here.  Even if they wanted to get a player for next year and clear some salary cap space in the off-season, the #25 spot doesn't feel like the place.  Interior offensive linemen often drop in the draft.

Running Back - James Robinson arguably played at a pro-bowl level last year as a rookie.  Many want us to get a speedy complimentary back, but you don't do that at #25.  Running backs routinely fall in the draft.

ILB - We have too much money invested in Jack and Shobert.  In 2021, it would cost us more to cut them.  I don't see ILB at #25.  

CB - Our most expensive free agent was at cornerback and we already have a top 10 pick on the roster.  We even have Sidney Jones for a #3 guy.  I can't see us going CB here.

Nose Tackle - We added Brown and we already had Hamilton.  There's no need here.

Quarterback - Big need, but we're a lock to take it at #1.  No way we take a backup quarterback at #25.

Special Teams - Obviously not.

What puzzles me is we've needed help on the O line for quite some time. For some reason even Caldwell and Marrone would not address it. I don't get it. It's like some kind of weird taboo subject:

'The O line problem which must not be mentioned!' 

If you listened to Meyer on GMFB he said we had to sign Cam with emphasis added. 

I don't have to agree with it but the one thing he said was left to fix was the TE room. The rest appears to be BPA. They must not like what they saw in FA and/or not believe they can get someone good in the draft.

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2021, 06:13 PM by TheDuke007.)

(03-21-2021, 04:53 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: What puzzles me is we've needed help on the O line for quite some time. For some reason even Caldwell and Marrone would not address it. I don't get it. It's like some kind of weird taboo subject:

'The O line problem which must not be mentioned!' 

Caldwell did put resources into the offensive line.  He just mostly didn't get the desired value out of it.  

2013:  1st rounder (2nd overall) in Luke Joeckel
2014:  3rd rounder (93rd overall) in Brandon Linder plus a 6th rounder (205th overall) in Luke Bowanko
2015:  3rd rounder (67th overall) in A.J. Cann
2017:  2nd rounder (34th overall) in Cam Robinson
2018:  Signed Andrew Norwell to a 5 year, $66.5 million contract ($30 million guaranteed.).  Also 4th rounder (129th overall) in Will Richardson
2019:  2nd rounder (35th overall) in Jawaan Taylor
2020:  4th rounder (116th overall) in Ben Bartch

That's one early 1st rounder, two early 2nd rounders, two 3rd rounders, two 4th rounders, a 6th rounder and a very major free agent signing.

In regards to Robinson, he had his rookie season.  He was hurt early in his second season and didn't return.  He then had a season where he was recovering from an injury.  I think last year was seen as a prove it year, but he failed to prove it.  However, the decision to keep him for a fifth year isn't Caldwell.  That's Meyer/Baalke.

In regards to Jawaan Taylor, he was a rookie in 2019.  Rarely do teams give up on early 2nd round picks after one year, and they brought him back for a second year.  From a salary cap perspective, he also would have cost more to cut than to keep.  If you don't like bringing Taylor back for a third season, that falls to Meyer/Baalke.