Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A Cautionary Tale From a Champion

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021, 10:21 AM by Bullseye.)

(04-06-2021, 10:04 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I bet Gene Smith ignored the scouts when he drafted a punter in the third round.

I think Gene Smith was using the force-or was seduced by the dark side of the force-in picking his players.

(04-06-2021, 09:26 AM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 09:12 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: Every method will have hits and misses. The professional scouts are definitely a great resource and shouldn't be completely disregarded, but close relationships throughout the college ranks will is really also part of scouting as well.

The biggest thing the Belicheck-Harry situation seemed to show was overvaluing the ceiling based on his personal connections instead of mapping out the likelihood of all possibly outcomes. If the current FO/UM cannot navigate that, they will fail.

Obviously teams should try to acquire as much information as possible in order to make an informed decision.  If there's a character question for the player, a close relationship with the coach might provide good insight.  However, in general, I wouldn't put too much into the coach's assessment.  I think many coaches are going to pump up their own player.  Even if they think they are being honest, they probably see the player through rose colored glasses.  For me, I would rely on game film and my scout's assessments to do most of the talking.

I think it would depend on the coach and how strong my relationship with him is.

If it's a guy that Meyer knows well and is close with, then he should give his opinion more weight than he would with a guy he barely knows.

Still, I agree game film and scouting assesments should govern his decisions, especially as he gets further away from his college experiences.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Messages In This Thread
A Cautionary Tale From a Champion - by Bullseye - 04-06-2021, 08:19 AM
RE: A Cautionary Tale From a Champion - by ATLjag - 04-06-2021, 08:52 AM
RE: A Cautionary Tale From a Champion - by Mikey - 04-07-2021, 09:13 AM
RE: A Cautionary Tale From a Champion - by Bullseye - 04-06-2021, 10:17 AM
RE: A Cautionary Tale From a Champion - by Dimson - 04-06-2021, 12:55 PM
RE: A Cautionary Tale From a Champion - by Mikey - 04-07-2021, 09:18 AM
RE: A Cautionary Tale From a Champion - by Mikey - 04-07-2021, 09:27 AM
RE: A Cautionary Tale From a Champion - by Jag149 - 04-07-2021, 12:23 PM