Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
TheO-LineMatters Mock Draft version 2.0

(04-10-2021, 09:26 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 04:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Thanks. Like I said, it's not what I would do, It's what I believe the team will do. I'm not really a fan of what I have predicted in round 2, especially. Without hesitation, I'd take Jamin Davis and Spencer Brown in those slots. That way I could keep Collins on the outside, have Davis on the inside and pickup a RT in Brown, that I have rated much higher than Mayfield. Davis in particular, is a player I like more and more as the draft approaches. 

I would also take Dyami Brown at the top of round 3. He would give us another deep threat, along with Chark. 

I take Safety Jamar Johnson and stick with Kenny Yeboah for our 4th round picks. I really like Johnson and Yeboah is the kind of TE that plays more like a WR. He has great hands and can stretch plays. 

I'm also a fan of Gainwell at the top of round 5. He has excellent speed and hands and would be the ideal compliment to Robinson for the run game, but I would take OT Josh Ball with our next pick. He's a little raw, but I really liked what I saw from him last season and I see a lot of potential as a Swing Tackle. 

Finally, with the last pick, I would take a guy I see flying under the radar. P.J. Burkhalter of Nicholls State. He was an FCS All-American in 2019 and has played both OG and Center. What little I can find of him was impressive. You pretty much have to find Nicholls State video and just focus on where he lines up. He was dominant against the guys he faced. As a 7th rounder, I think he's definitely worth a look. 

As for Cincinnati, I agree. Sewell has to be the choice. Jonah Williams is solid, but Reiff is only a one year rental and they already have two good receivers in Boyd and Higgins. Sewell makes too much sense. You plug him in at LT, move Williams to LG, Reiff plays RT and when Reiff is gone, Williams moves to RT. The Bengals get Bateman in round 2, to stretch the field and they still have the #1 OT. In round 3, I get the more O-Line help with Leatherwood. I see him as an OG. He plugs right into the RG position and now, all they need to find is a halfway competent Center and the O-Line is complete.

To be clear, my preference would be a mostly offensive draft, but it would not surprise me at all to see a predominantly defensive draft.  I suspect Meyer is more of a defensive guy than I may have initially thought.  It also wouldn't surprise me that in executing that primarily defensive draft, that OLB/edge rusher would be an early target.  I have not been shy about how I like Collins.  But the Collins/Ossai combination at 25 and 33 is too much.  Though I think Collins has all of the attributes needed to play ILB well, he considers himself an OLB, and ultimately I am unsure how that mindset would impact his play.   Then to follow that up with Ossai at 33 would be way too much at that position-3 first round picks and the highest possible 2nd rounder since 2019.  That with no other expenditures on offense would be too much.  I would probably rant against that for a while.  If we went offense at either 25 or 33, and took Collins at one or the other positions, then came back with an edge in the 4th-5th round, that would be less of a shock to the system.  Hopefully Cullen and Orr will help identify viable candidates.

Davis seems to have come out of nowhere (insert Kentucky joke here), scarcely being mentioned at all by anybody to being on the tips of everyone's tongues the closer we get to the draft. Not knocking you or anyone else.  It's just what happens this time of year.  But it speaks well of the current state of the Kentucky program that it could produce guys like Allen and him in two of the last three drafts.

I really like Dyami Brown.  I think he could be a huge asset for this team.  Heck I even said he reminded me of Jimmy Smith in his style of play.  But my own gut feeling is that UM is looking for more of a Jack of all trades type.  If he takes Dyami Brown, that solidifies Shenault and Marvin Jones as the slot WRs.

I would prefer Sermon to Gainwell, but I like Gainwell and agree with your take here.

As far as the Bengals are concerned my questioning of the Leatherwood pick isn't based on any bad value.  I think he is good value there.  But given Williams, Reiff and Sewell, I think their OL is plenty good at that point.  In a worst case scenario, you plug Reiff in at G.  Even if you consider him a temporary patch at the position, Reiff and Sewell combined buy the Bengals time.  But as I type this, I realize this may be a touch of jealousy on my part because it represents the kind of investment in the OL I hope the Jaguars would make.

Admittedly I have no clue about Burkhalter.

One last point of clrification:  I commented that I think less and less of Gettlemen the more I think about his stint with the Giants.  But I made the comment at the Smith pick from Tennessee.  I would love that pick and would like him here.  He is a dominant player.

The interior of the Bengals O-Line was every bit as bad, if not worse than the RT position was last year. There is not a single O-Lineman from last year's Bengals team, other than Williams that I would even think about starting on that O-Line in 2021. They were atrocious and as much as I gripe about our own O-Line, our interior is pretty decent. In fact, our interior looks like a bunch of pro-bowlers compared to the Bengals. I wouldn't even call any of their interior guys "serviceable" at this point. They are more like turnstiles. Something has to be done.

Messages In This Thread
RE: TheO-LineMatters Mock Draft version 2.0 - by TheO-LineMatters - 04-10-2021, 10:02 PM