Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Your WORST prediction/reaction on a draft pick

(04-17-2021, 04:55 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(04-17-2021, 04:51 PM)Dimson Wrote: Coughlin didn't want Fred either.

I guess you didn't see his reaction when watching Fred run the 40 during his workout prior to the draft. I'd like to play poker with him, sometime.

Yeah well it was widely reported that TC was interested in trading up for Curtis Enis.  Enis fit the mold of a TC power back. 

That year, I wanted them to trade up for Charles Woodson, but the Chargers paying so much to move up one spot for Ryan Leaf all but made that impossible.

In either event, I'm glad no trade ever materialized.  Had we moved up for Enis, we would have been saddled with a huge bust and missed out on Taylor and DD.  Even trading up for Woodson may have been a mistake.  Sure we may have gotten a HOF caliber player at a premium position, but that draft was very deep at CB, and there was a glut of CBs in the second round that were good, including Samari Rolle and Dre Bly.  If anything, we should have traded up in the second round to land one of those guys.  We could have had FT, DD, and one of those good second round CBs.  Instead, we wound up with Cordell Taylor, a forced CB pick at the bottom of the second round that year. and one of the worst picks in team history.  

As for my wrong predictions, I have had so many over the years, it's difficult to rank.  I would have to say two of my most disappointing predictions were for Leftwich and for Justin Blackmon.  Never thought BL would be so universally hated, nor did I think he would have so many health issues.  As for Justin Blackmon, I don't think abyne outside of Oklahoma City knew how much of a problem he had with alcohol.  I knew he had the DUI driving back from a Cowboys game, but that was the only one I knew about.  Just as a football player, he was an absolutely outstanding talent.  Had he been able to control his drinking, he could have been an all time great, and could have owned this town since we had gone so long without a stud at the position. 

On the other side of the miss category is a player I didn't think would be THAT good or a system fit was J.J. Watt.  OMG did he turn out to be absolutely dominant!  I remember reading a guy on the board touting him, but I disagreed and didn't see him as a 4-3 end.  I can't remember who it was, but I wish I could give him credit for that.

I feel comfortable sharing those embarrassing revelations, because even those who work in the NFL have spectacular misses.  Bill Walsh had to be convinced to draft Joe Montana over his college QB Steve Dils.  I also know those weren't the first picks I got wrong, and they won't be the last.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your WORST prediction/reaction on a draft pick - by Bullseye - 04-17-2021, 05:24 PM