Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Odds and Ends

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2021, 11:05 AM by Bullseye.)

(05-30-2021, 08:43 AM)NH3 Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 12:37 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Various thoughts this Memorial day weekend...

1.  Reports came out that Trevor Lawrence struggled some in red zone drills.  While positive reviews for highly drafted players are typically the norm for this time of year, his struggles in the red zone drill are not of concern at this stage.  This is one of the first times working with these  receivers, and red zone is typically more difficult than normal passing, whether in practice or in games.  There will be plenty of time for all to grasp the offense, for the receivers to learn how TL likes to throw the ball, for TL to learn how receivers like the ball to be thrown in those scenarios, and for them to get the timing down.  I expect days like that to happen at least periodically throughout training camp.  It's part of the process of a rookie QB adjusting to the NFL game and the whole team adjusting to the new offense.

2.  Speaking of receivers, there has been some speculation about Laviska Shenault and a second round pick being offered up in exchange for Falcons' WR Julio Jones.  Understanding most trade speculation of this sort is the equivalent of throwing stuff against a wall to see what sticks.  To the extent there is any substance capable of sticking, I would strongly argue against such a trade.  From the Julio Jones perspective, he has been a great player over the years and will likely get strong consideration for the Hall of Fame, even though he is not on one of the NFL's premiere franchises.  But his best days have passed.  He is 32 years old and is coming off an injury shortened season.  At 32, that's when nagging injuries start to happen more frequently to previously durable players.  Even if he remains healthy, it won't be long until he loses a step and will no longer be the player we all admire.  Then there's the contract.  If it's unpalatable for the Falcons, it can't be too much better for the Jaguars, even with all of the cap room.  Considering we have key players to re-sign, other players to add, and even start planning now to re-sign Trevor Lawrence, there's not enough short term or longer term benefit to making such a deal.  In terms of getting rid of Shenault, I'm not exactly thrilled with the prospect.  I am unsure exactly how fast he is.  He supposedly had a hamstring issue when he ran the 40 last year.  I am unsure what Meyer thinks about him...whether he considers him a fit for the offense or what.  But based upon what I have seen of him over the last year, Shenault has some big play potential and the versatility Meyer seems to like in his offensive skill players.  Furthermore, he's young and can grow with Trevor Lawrence, which is what TL needs.  Giving him and a 2nd round pick next year (which would be 2 2nd round picks in 3 years the team will have traded away with this deal) is not the way to build a young and ascending nucleus.  The Jaguars should not even entertain the thought of this deal for Julio Jones.

3.  Admittedly this view is unfair to the team and to the player, but of all the draft picks in the first 3-4 rounds, perhaps the one I am the least enthusiastic about is second round pick Tyson Campbell.  It's not as though I was initially opposed to the pick like I was Chaisson last year.  I'm not necessarily hostile to him as a player.  But for reasons I cannot fully explain, my attitude towards his selection borders on ambivalence or indifference.  On a lot of levels, I should be excited we got him.  Considering the talent purge we had on that side of the ball, the need for a big, fast athletic nickel corner or safety was certainly there.  Just a few years back in 2017, I advocated a heavy early investment in the secondary when we already had Ramsey and Bouye and pushed for the team to take either Marshon Lattimore, Jamal Adams, or even Malik Hooker in the first round.  While it doesn't exactly fit the scenario I detailed above, it meets the spirit of that argument.  If the team hit on his selection, the secondary and defense as a whole should be much better, whether he plays nickel, safety, or one of the outside corners.  But as of this moment, I have been unable to muster much enthusiasm for this pick. I sincerely hope his level of play makes me look back at this post and laugh.

4.  Though I am opposed to acquiring Julio Jones, especially under the terms of that speculated trade, next week offers the possibiity of more fruitful post June 1 acquisitions, either by trade or from the June 1 cuts.  While the Tebow signing has dominated the discusson, there is still room on the roster for one more addition, and the need at TE is still considerable.  I think we could see guys like Zach Ertz and David NjokuUnverifiaI selves available,and bothe could improve the TE position considerably.  While Ertz is older than I would prefer, whie Njoku hasn't had the overall productivity, both bring enough to the table at ostensibly a much lower price in terms of contracts and trade compensation required to hrlp this team.  It's been a while since I have looked with such anticipation to June 1 cuts, but more than many years, there is real opportunity for the team to help itself, at least at TE.

5.  In looking at our schedule, I'm thinking the best chance Etienne has of having impact is against Houston and Cincinnati.  I don't see their LBs being particularly athletic or particularly good fits for the Tampa 2 Houston is going to employ.   I think Denver, Arizona and Tennessee have reasonably athletic LB-Arizona especially with Simmons from last year and Collins from this year to hold up decently if somehow isolated on Etienne.

6.  I know it's unlikely for too many reasons, but I'd still like the team to take a chance on Damon Snacks Harrison.

7.  I am really feeling football withdrawal, and we haven't hit June.  Don't know what the hell I'm gonna do until June, considering we only won one game last year.  Maybe I'll re-watch some of the Clemson games I've recorded over the past three years.

I Concur on your No Trade clause, he's expected to be traded to Tampa anyway. I also have the very same sentiments w/respect to T. Campbell. He's supposedly penalty prone and we already had a stacked CB group. I believe that he was selected because of his speed. I too hope and pray that he sincerely pans out.

Time Will Tell.

NH3.. 

Regarding Campbell, I don't even know him to be penalty prone.  Perhaps that is part of my issue.  I didn't have CB anywhere on my surprise second round bingo card, and I didn't do what UM calls a "deep dive" into Campbell or any of the other 2nd round CBs aside from what I may have seen watching Georgia last season.  But not even that fully explains it because  I didn't know anything about Ngakoue when we took him in 2016.  I had a wait and see attitude with him but was at least hopeful.  With Campbell...there is simply nothing there other than a token amount of hope.

Is there some sort of football fan specific therapy or something?!?  I mean besides alcohol.   Laughing

(05-30-2021, 08:47 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: On point #7, go fishing!

Like golfers, avid fishermen swear by it, but I haven't the patience for it.

Perhaps I may immerse myself in some video games I need to beat.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Messages In This Thread
Odds and Ends - by Bullseye - 05-30-2021, 12:37 AM
RE: Odds and Ends - by WingerDinger - 05-30-2021, 05:50 AM
RE: Odds and Ends - by NH3 - 05-30-2021, 08:43 AM
RE: Odds and Ends - by Bullseye - 05-30-2021, 11:02 AM
RE: Odds and Ends - by Jags32250 - 05-30-2021, 08:47 AM
RE: Odds and Ends - by NYC4jags - 05-30-2021, 09:54 AM
RE: Odds and Ends - by Bullseye - 05-30-2021, 11:28 AM
RE: Odds and Ends - by JagFan81 - 05-30-2021, 10:05 AM
RE: Odds and Ends - by Bullseye - 05-30-2021, 11:35 AM
RE: Odds and Ends - by I am Yoda - 05-30-2021, 12:06 PM