Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Odds and Ends

Various thoughts this Memorial day weekend...

1.  Reports came out that Trevor Lawrence struggled some in red zone drills.  While positive reviews for highly drafted players are typically the norm for this time of year, his struggles in the red zone drill are not of concern at this stage.  This is one of the first times working with these  receivers, and red zone is typically more difficult than normal passing, whether in practice or in games.  There will be plenty of time for all to grasp the offense, for the receivers to learn how TL likes to throw the ball, for TL to learn how receivers like the ball to be thrown in those scenarios, and for them to get the timing down.  I expect days like that to happen at least periodically throughout training camp.  It's part of the process of a rookie QB adjusting to the NFL game and the whole team adjusting to the new offense.

2.  Speaking of receivers, there has been some speculation about Laviska Shenault and a second round pick being offered up in exchange for Falcons' WR Julio Jones.  Understanding most trade speculation of this sort is the equivalent of throwing stuff against a wall to see what sticks.  To the extent there is any substance capable of sticking, I would strongly argue against such a trade.  From the Julio Jones perspective, he has been a great player over the years and will likely get strong consideration for the Hall of Fame, even though he is not on one of the NFL's premiere franchises.  But his best days have passed.  He is 32 years old and is coming off an injury shortened season.  At 32, that's when nagging injuries start to happen more frequently to previously durable players.  Even if he remains healthy, it won't be long until he loses a step and will no longer be the player we all admire.  Then there's the contract.  If it's unpalatable for the Falcons, it can't be too much better for the Jaguars, even with all of the cap room.  Considering we have key players to re-sign, other players to add, and even start planning now to re-sign Trevor Lawrence, there's not enough short term or longer term benefit to making such a deal.  In terms of getting rid of Shenault, I'm not exactly thrilled with the prospect.  I am unsure exactly how fast he is.  He supposedly had a hamstring issue when he ran the 40 last year.  I am unsure what Meyer thinks about him...whether he considers him a fit for the offense or what.  But based upon what I have seen of him over the last year, Shenault has some big play potential and the versatility Meyer seems to like in his offensive skill players.  Furthermore, he's young and can grow with Trevor Lawrence, which is what TL needs.  Giving him and a 2nd round pick next year (which would be 2 2nd round picks in 3 years the team will have traded away with this deal) is not the way to build a young and ascending nucleus.  The Jaguars should not even entertain the thought of this deal for Julio Jones.

3.  Admittedly this view is unfair to the team and to the player, but of all the draft picks in the first 3-4 rounds, perhaps the one I am the least enthusiastic about is second round pick Tyson Campbell.  It's not as though I was initially opposed to the pick like I was Chaisson last year.  I'm not necessarily hostile to him as a player.  But for reasons I cannot fully explain, my attitude towards his selection borders on ambivalence or indifference.  On a lot of levels, I should be excited we got him.  Considering the talent purge we had on that side of the ball, the need for a big, fast athletic nickel corner or safety was certainly there.  Just a few years back in 2017, I advocated a heavy early investment in the secondary when we already had Ramsey and Bouye and pushed for the team to take either Marshon Lattimore, Jamal Adams, or even Malik Hooker in the first round.  While it doesn't exactly fit the scenario I detailed above, it meets the spirit of that argument.  If the team hit on his selection, the secondary and defense as a whole should be much better, whether he plays nickel, safety, or one of the outside corners.  But as of this moment, I have been unable to muster much enthusiasm for this pick. I sincerely hope his level of play makes me look back at this post and laugh.

4.  Though I am opposed to acquiring Julio Jones, especially under the terms of that speculated trade, next week offers the possibiity of more fruitful post June 1 acquisitions, either by trade or from the June 1 cuts.  While the Tebow signing has dominated the discusson, there is still room on the roster for one more addition, and the need at TE is still considerable.  I think we could see guys like Zach Ertz and David Njoku find themselves available,and bothe could improve the TE position considerably.  While Ertz is older than I would prefer, whie Njoku hasn't had the overall productivity, both bring enough to the table at ostensibly a much lower price in terms of contracts and trade compensation required to hrlp this team.  It's been a while since I have looked with such anticipation to June 1 cuts, but more than many years, there is real opportunity for the team to help itself, at least at TE.

5.  In looking at our schedule, I'm thinking the best chance Etienne has of having impact is against Houston and Cincinnati.  I don't see their LBs being particularly athletic or particularly good fits for the Tampa 2 Houston is going to employ.   I think Denver, Arizona and Tennessee have reasonably athletic LB-Arizona especially with Simmons from last year and Collins from this year to hold up decently if somehow isolated on Etienne.

6.  I know it's unlikely for too many reasons, but I'd still like the team to take a chance on Damon Snacks Harrison.

7.  I am really feeling football withdrawal, and we haven't hit June.  Don't know what the hell I'm gonna do until June, considering we only won one game last year.  Maybe I'll re-watch some of the Clemson games I've recorded over the past three years.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

No way in hell I get rid of LS for JJ..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I Concur on your No Trade clause, he's expected to be traded to Tampa anyway. I also have the very same sentiments w/respect to T. Campbell. He's supposedly penalty prone and we already had a stacked CB group. I believe that he was selected because of his speed. I too hope and pray that he sincerely pans out.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

On point #7, go fishing!

(05-30-2021, 12:37 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Various thoughts this Memorial day weekend...

1.  Reports came out that Trevor Lawrence struggled some in red zone drills.  While positive reviews for highly drafted players are typically the norm for this time of year, his struggles in the red zone drill are not of concern at this stage.  This is one of the first times working ...

2.  Speaking of receivers, there has been some speculation about Laviska Shenault and a second round pick being offered up in exchange for Falcons' WR Julio Jones.  ...

3.  Admittedly this view is unfair to the team and to the player, but of all the draft picks in the first 3-4 rounds, perhaps the one I am the least enthusiastic about is second round pick Tyson Campbell.  It's not as though I was initially opposed to the pick like I was Chaisson last year.  I'm not necessarily hostile to him as a player.  But for reasons I cannot fully explain, my attitude towards his selection borders on ambivalence or indifference.  On a lot of levels, I should be excited we got him  ...

4.  Though I am opposed to acquiring Julio Jones, especially under the terms of that speculated trade, next week offers the possibiity of more fruitful post June 1 acquisitions, either by trade or from the June 1 cuts.  While the Tebow signing has dominated the discusson, there is still room on the roster for one more addition, and the need at TE is still considerable.  I think we could see guys like Zach Ertz and David Njoku find themselves available,and bothe could improve the TE position considerably.  ...

5.  In looking at our schedule, I'm thinking the best chance Etienne has of having impact is against Houston and Cincinnati.  I don't see their LBs being particularly athletic or particularly good fits for the Tampa 2 Houston is going to employ.   I think Denver, Arizona and Tennessee have reasonably athletic LB-Arizona especially with Simmons from last year and Collins from this year to hold up decently if somehow isolated on Etienne.

6.  I know it's unlikely for too many reasons, but I'd still like the team to take a chance on Damon Snacks Harrison.

7.  I am really feeling football withdrawal, and we haven't hit June.  Don't know what the hell I'm gonna do until June, considering we only won one game last year.  Maybe I'll re-watch some of the Clemson games I've recorded over the past three years.

1. Yes, it's way too early to read deeply into any camp or OTA reports. Lots of acclimating and install await these young men. 

2. I agree - that trade suggestion is ... um... not good. 

3. I liked the Campbell pick quite a bit. I think nickel may be his short term future here, but CB2 opposite Henderson may be where he ends up by 2023. (assuming CJ lives up to his draft position at least moderately) 
Lots of upside on Campbell if he is able to adapt and improve a few things. 

4. I feel an additional TE will definitely be added.  If not one of the obvious upper tier guys, at least a cut player from a squad wealthy in talent at the TE position. 

5. I have not analyzed Etienne's play or projected impact enough to comment. I am very hopeful that the new offense and playcalling is replete with plays designed  to create mismatches for him as well as for Shenault. 

6. Harrison makes a lot of sense for the Jags new defense. I do actually like the Brown/Hamilton rotation shaping up at nose tackle for the Jags -  but Harrison may be more dynamic when firing on all cylinders. 

7. I'm mostly too busy these days to have withdrawal, but I'm very anxious to see how this new regime and roster perform in the Fall!

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2021, 10:05 AM by JagFan81.)

Great as usual Bullseye. Will give a more full response later but did see an interesting video on YouTube by a Jags fan. He was talking about the 'way too early' mock drafts that people do (like trying to predict next years draft now) and was looking at their predictions from last summer for the draft just gone.

Interestingly it had Lawrence to us at #1 but also Little, Campbell and Tufele all going in the 1st round to different teams. Having no combine this year, I'm hoping a few teams messed up their evaluations.

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2021, 11:05 AM by Bullseye.)

(05-30-2021, 08:43 AM)NH3 Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 12:37 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Various thoughts this Memorial day weekend...

1.  Reports came out that Trevor Lawrence struggled some in red zone drills.  While positive reviews for highly drafted players are typically the norm for this time of year, his struggles in the red zone drill are not of concern at this stage.  This is one of the first times working with these  receivers, and red zone is typically more difficult than normal passing, whether in practice or in games.  There will be plenty of time for all to grasp the offense, for the receivers to learn how TL likes to throw the ball, for TL to learn how receivers like the ball to be thrown in those scenarios, and for them to get the timing down.  I expect days like that to happen at least periodically throughout training camp.  It's part of the process of a rookie QB adjusting to the NFL game and the whole team adjusting to the new offense.

2.  Speaking of receivers, there has been some speculation about Laviska Shenault and a second round pick being offered up in exchange for Falcons' WR Julio Jones.  Understanding most trade speculation of this sort is the equivalent of throwing stuff against a wall to see what sticks.  To the extent there is any substance capable of sticking, I would strongly argue against such a trade.  From the Julio Jones perspective, he has been a great player over the years and will likely get strong consideration for the Hall of Fame, even though he is not on one of the NFL's premiere franchises.  But his best days have passed.  He is 32 years old and is coming off an injury shortened season.  At 32, that's when nagging injuries start to happen more frequently to previously durable players.  Even if he remains healthy, it won't be long until he loses a step and will no longer be the player we all admire.  Then there's the contract.  If it's unpalatable for the Falcons, it can't be too much better for the Jaguars, even with all of the cap room.  Considering we have key players to re-sign, other players to add, and even start planning now to re-sign Trevor Lawrence, there's not enough short term or longer term benefit to making such a deal.  In terms of getting rid of Shenault, I'm not exactly thrilled with the prospect.  I am unsure exactly how fast he is.  He supposedly had a hamstring issue when he ran the 40 last year.  I am unsure what Meyer thinks about him...whether he considers him a fit for the offense or what.  But based upon what I have seen of him over the last year, Shenault has some big play potential and the versatility Meyer seems to like in his offensive skill players.  Furthermore, he's young and can grow with Trevor Lawrence, which is what TL needs.  Giving him and a 2nd round pick next year (which would be 2 2nd round picks in 3 years the team will have traded away with this deal) is not the way to build a young and ascending nucleus.  The Jaguars should not even entertain the thought of this deal for Julio Jones.

3.  Admittedly this view is unfair to the team and to the player, but of all the draft picks in the first 3-4 rounds, perhaps the one I am the least enthusiastic about is second round pick Tyson Campbell.  It's not as though I was initially opposed to the pick like I was Chaisson last year.  I'm not necessarily hostile to him as a player.  But for reasons I cannot fully explain, my attitude towards his selection borders on ambivalence or indifference.  On a lot of levels, I should be excited we got him.  Considering the talent purge we had on that side of the ball, the need for a big, fast athletic nickel corner or safety was certainly there.  Just a few years back in 2017, I advocated a heavy early investment in the secondary when we already had Ramsey and Bouye and pushed for the team to take either Marshon Lattimore, Jamal Adams, or even Malik Hooker in the first round.  While it doesn't exactly fit the scenario I detailed above, it meets the spirit of that argument.  If the team hit on his selection, the secondary and defense as a whole should be much better, whether he plays nickel, safety, or one of the outside corners.  But as of this moment, I have been unable to muster much enthusiasm for this pick. I sincerely hope his level of play makes me look back at this post and laugh.

4.  Though I am opposed to acquiring Julio Jones, especially under the terms of that speculated trade, next week offers the possibiity of more fruitful post June 1 acquisitions, either by trade or from the June 1 cuts.  While the Tebow signing has dominated the discusson, there is still room on the roster for one more addition, and the need at TE is still considerable.  I think we could see guys like Zach Ertz and David NjokuUnverifiaI selves available,and bothe could improve the TE position considerably.  While Ertz is older than I would prefer, whie Njoku hasn't had the overall productivity, both bring enough to the table at ostensibly a much lower price in terms of contracts and trade compensation required to hrlp this team.  It's been a while since I have looked with such anticipation to June 1 cuts, but more than many years, there is real opportunity for the team to help itself, at least at TE.

I Concur on your No Trade clause, he's expected to be traded to Tampa anyway. I also have the very same sentiments w/respect to T. Campbell. He's supposedly penalty prone and we already had a stacked CB group. I believe that he was selected because of his speed. I too hope and pray that he sincerely pans out.

Time Will Tell.

NH3.. 

Regarding Campbell, I don't even know him to be penalty prone.  Perhaps that is part of my issue.  I didn't have CB anywhere on my surprise second round bingo card, and I didn't do what UM calls a "deep dive" into Campbell or any of the other 2nd round CBs aside from what I may have seen watching Georgia last season.  But not even that fully explains it because  I didn't know anything about Ngakoue when we took him in 2016.  I had a wait and see attitude with him but was at least hopeful.  With Campbell...there is simply nothing there other than a token amount of hope.

Is there some sort of football fan specific therapy or something?!?  I mean besides alcohol.   Laughing

(05-30-2021, 08:47 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: On point #7, go fishing!

Like golfers, avid fishermen swear by it, but I haven't the patience for it.

Perhaps I may immerse myself in some video games I need to beat.

(05-30-2021, 09:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

1.  Reports came out that Trevor Lawrence struggled some in red zone drills.  While positive reviews for highly drafted players are typically the norm for this time of year, his struggles in the red zone drill are not of concern at this stage.  This is one of the first times working ...

2.  Speaking of receivers, there has been some speculation about Laviska Shenault and a second round pick being offered up in exchange for Falcons' WR Julio Jones.  ...

3.  Admittedly this view is unfair to the team and to the player, but of all the draft picks in the first 3-4 rounds, perhaps the one I am the least enthusiastic about is second round pick Tyson Campbell.  It's not as though I was initially opposed to the pick like I was Chaisson last year.  I'm not necessarily hostile to him as a player.  But for reasons I cannot fully explain, my attitude towards his selection borders on ambivalence or indifference.  On a lot of levels, I should be excited we got him  ...

4.  Though I am opposed to acquiring Julio Jones, especially under the terms of that speculated trade, next week offers the possibiity of more fruitful post June 1 acquisitions, either by trade or from the June 1 cuts.  While the Tebow signing has dominated the discusson, there is still room on the roster for one more addition, and the need at TE is still considerable.  I think we could see guys like Zach Ertz and David Njoku find themselves available,and bothe could improve the TE position considerably.  ...

3. I liked the Campbell pick quite a bit. I think nickel may be his short term future here, but CB2 opposite Henderson may be where he ends up by 2023. (assuming CJ lives up to his draft position at least moderately) 
Lots of upside on Campbell if he is able to adapt and improve a few things. 

4. I feel an additional TE will definitely be added.  If not one of the obvious upper tier guys, at least a cut player from a squad wealthy in talent at the TE position. 

5. I have not analyzed Etienne's play or projected impact enough to comment. I am very hopeful that the new offense and playcalling is replete with plays designed  to create mismatches for him as well as for Shenault. 

3.  The criticism I hear the most regarding Campbell is that he does not play the ball particularly well.  He is capable of blanketing a receiver for most of his route, but when the ball is in the air, he somehow misplays the ball with either bad angles or mistimed jumps.  I've heard that is coachable, but I wonder how such a deficiency in his game (assuming it exists and is not exaggerated) has persisted so long given all his time playing defensive back. 

4.  New England immediately came to mind.  They drafted two mid round TEs last year, then signed two big name free agents this year.  I understand Belichick has a history of heavy TE utilization, and they may compensate for the lack of a competent WR by using more 2 TE sets.  But It's hard to imagine a team keeping 4 TEs active on a 53 man roster unless there is a long snapper in there.

5.  In discussing Etienne, I left out one important caveat.  You will notice I restricted the analysis to the LBs he'll face.  He would likely face only LBs if he lined up conventionally as a RB.  That is where the coverage mismatches are most likely to occur..with Etienne running traditional running back routes (flairs, circle routes and variations, wheel routes) against LBs.  But he is an offensive hybrid...and according to Meyer, he will be utilized often being lined up at WR.  So utilized, it stands to reason that if he's lined up unconventionally (for a RB) then defenses would adjust accordingly.  Assuming he's lined up wide, he should expect to see a fair amount of DBs covering him, not LBs.  I think this could open things up for James Robinson running the ball, but also possibly reduce Etienne's big play effectiveness.

(05-30-2021, 10:05 AM)JagFan81 Wrote:

4.  Though I am opposed to acquiring Julio Jones, especially under the terms of that speculated trade, next week offers the possibiity of more fruitful post June 1 acquisitions, either by trade or from the June 1 cuts.  While the Tebow signing has dominated the discusson, there is still room on the roster for one more addition, and the need at TE is still considerable.  I think we could see guys like Zach Ertz and David Njoku find themselves available,and bothe could improve the TE position considerably.  While Ertz is older than I would prefer, whie Njoku hasn't had the overall productivity, both bring enough to the table at ostensibly a much lower price in terms of contracts and trade compensation required to hrlp this team.  It's been a while since I have looked with such anticipation to June 1 cuts, but more than many years, there is real opportunity for the team to help itself, at least at TE.

Great as usual Bullseye. Will give a more full response later but did see an interesting video on YouTube by a Jags fan. He was talking about the 'way too early' mock drafts that people do (like trying to predict next years draft now) and was looking at their predictions from last summer for the draft just gone.

Interestingly it had Lawrence to us at #1 but also Little, Campbell and Tufele all going in the 1st round to different teams. Having no combine this year, I'm hoping a few teams messed up their evaluations.

Thanks.

I look forward to your more detailed response.

I think I just watched that same video last night.  Hopefully we got some steals with those picks (along with UDFA Dylan Moses and DJ Daniel).  Given the unusual circumstances surrounding last season, the draft-this year's anyway- is more of a crapshoot than ever.  Maybe some teams missed.  My sense is we missed out on Tennessee's Smith, who went to KC in the 6th round.  Hopefully that same dynamic will work for us in the cases of these players.

I don't disagree with any of that.  It's well stated.  I'm especially in agreement with the comments about Campbell.  To me, it's so much meh.  But it doesn't hurt to have a starting quality talent added to the roster.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2021, 02:19 PM by Jag149.)

1. No matter what TL does it will be criticized as too little by some people just to get reactions and clicks.
  Ignore them ... if he had already somehow won the Super Bowl before the season begins they would say the point spread was too little ...
2. Atlanta is in cap hell make no mistake and are desperate to trade this 20 million dollar liability to someone. They naturally want to get something for him, but most teams know they are faced with a difficult choice. Keep Jones and run the risk of another injury shortened season (what do they really know?) and cut a a number of younger developing talent guys. They obviously want to keep the younger guys and move on from Jones. I say they are in a corner and any writer that will write articles saying any team is interested in Jones will get an atta boy and a chit to turn in for inside info later. I say call their bluff and wait and see what they have to do. Remember how crazy it seemed when we left Boselli unprotected and the Texans snatched him up? How many games did he play for them....Wink
3. No comment on this one as I'll wait to see what the guy has inside him on the field, but yea ????
4. This is a different year as the cap lowering blindsided some teams. I look for two more waves of cuts that will provide us real opportunities to enhance our lineup.
5. see #3
6.Anyone with a middle name of "Snacks" is worth taking a flier on!
7. OH NO !! you mean those games I am watching on TV now are REPEATS! Next you'll be telling kids there is no Santa!!
A new broom always sweeps clean.

1- Yeah I saw the media label Lawrence a 'rookie QB' as he missed 2 RZ throws. I think this is something we are going to have to get used to, anytime the 'best prospect since Manning' makes the slightest mistake ite going to get massively overblown. Thats what practise is for! In a way I like that that's all theyve got to criticize him on.

2- I've got big hopes for Shenault but Julio is a beast and a vet WR. I wouldnt take that trade and you make some solid reasons why, especially with injuries. I know the Falcons are looking at cap down the road but his contract is only like $11m and it makes me wonder why they seem to determined to move him. Their O looks pretty damn good after adding Pitts. 
I do wonder how many WR's we will keep on the roster and I keep forgetting about Collin Johnson and we signed Dorsett. And you usually get that UDFA that's all heart that you fall in love with. Still miss you Hurns!

3-I always felt the secondary allowed the 2017 D line to look so impressive. Bouye and Ramsey could keep coverage and made QB's hold the ball that extra half second. Looking at it on paper, we look pretty solid at CB. Henderson had some flashes but hopefully takes that 2nd year step, I liked Griffin at Seattle and was arguably their best DB on a horrible D. Sidney Jones took his chances last year and I havent seen a lot of Campbell, but from what I've read he should be a good addition without having to walk in as a day one starter and key player. Still a bit worried about safety depth and no idea if we will be 3-4 or 4-3 or a mix of both.

4- June 1st could be an interesting tipping point day. A few player contracts become more team friendly with cap hits and such and I'm looking at how we view our roster. There are plenty of areas to improve and we have plenty of cap space or do the new staff want to see what they have this season and build from there. I noticed Rodgers cap hit drops from $38m to $21m after June 1st aswell.

5-Week 1 looks the perfect chance to snap this L streak, get Lawrence and Meyer off to a good start, division win against a new staff. I think losing Watt will hurt Houston more off the field than on. I'm also interested to see how Meyer approaches pre season games. Everyone plays a vanilla playbook but you can get ideas of where they like guys and sets to line up in. There are no grand expectations like SB or playoffs for this year and I hope we just go out and give it everything and see where we end up. Etienne is another one I have big hope for and should also help Robinson too.

6-Snacks is still a monster and cant have enough big guys in the middle. Dont know how many more times I can see Taven getting pushed back!

7- Yep, so excited for thos season but feels sofar away and had enough of talking about....him. Got the Olympics in a month or so hopefully which is where I suddenly become an expert in everything from volleyball to weightlifting  Big Grin

Always enjoy your takes Bullseye.

(05-30-2021, 02:13 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
1. No matter what TL does it will be criticized as too little by some people just to get reactions and clicks.
  Ignore them ... if he had already somehow won the Super Bowl before the season begins they would say the point spread was too little ...
2. Atlanta is in cap hell make no mistake and are desperate to trade this 20 million dollar liability to someone. They naturally want to get something for him, but most teams know they are faced with a difficult choice. Keep Jones and run the risk of another injury shortened season (what do they really know?) and cut a a number of younger developing talent guys. They obviously want to keep the younger guys and move on from Jones. I say they are in a corner and any writer that will write articles saying any team is interested in Jones will get an atta boy and a chit to turn in for inside info later. I say call their bluff and wait and see what they have to do. Remember how crazy it seemed when we left Boselli unprotected and the Texans snatched him up? How many games did he play for them....Wink
3. No comment on this one as I'll wait to see what the guy has inside him on the field, but yea ????
4. This is a different year as the cap lowering blindsided some teams. I look for two more waves of cuts that will provide us real opportunities to enhance our lineup.
5. see #3
6.Anyone with a middle name of "Snacks" is worth taking a flier on!
7. OH NO !! you mean those games I am watching on TV now are REPEATS! Next you'll be telling kids there is no Santa!!

1.  Kinda comes with the territory.  But I'm not sure it's people being hypercritical as much as it is the propensity for tome to react and panic, especially since we've been down for so long.  No big deal either way, especially at this stage.

2.  I'm no cap guy, but everything I've seen indicates what you said...that the Falcons are indeed in serious cap straits.  Under normal circumstances, especially since they took Pitts at 4, I would think Hurst would be a candidate for release.  But since they named Arthur Smith as their coach and he uses a lot of two TE sets, I think Hurst stays.  But I think between Ertz and Njoku, or perhaps someone lesser will become available after tomorrow that will enable the Jaguars to upgrade TE.

7.   Laughing

(05-30-2021, 08:46 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:

1- Yeah I saw the media label Lawrence a 'rookie QB' as he missed 2 RZ throws. I think this is something we are going to have to get used to, anytime the 'best prospect since Manning' makes the slightest mistake ite going to get massively overblown. Thats what practise is for! In a way I like that that's all theyve got to criticize him on.

2- I've got big hopes for Shenault but Julio is a beast and a vet WR. I wouldnt take that trade and you make some solid reasons why, especially with injuries. I know the Falcons are looking at cap down the road but his contract is only like $11m and it makes me wonder why they seem to determined to move him. Their O looks pretty damn good after adding Pitts. 
I do wonder how many WR's we will keep on the roster and I keep forgetting about Collin Johnson and we signed Dorsett. And you usually get that UDFA that's all heart that you fall in love with. Still miss you Hurns!

3-I always felt the secondary allowed the 2017 D line to look so impressive. Bouye and Ramsey could keep coverage and made QB's hold the ball that extra half second. Looking at it on paper, we look pretty solid at CB. Henderson had some flashes but hopefully takes that 2nd year step, I liked Griffin at Seattle and was arguably their best DB on a horrible D. Sidney Jones took his chances last year and I havent seen a lot of Campbell, but from what I've read he should be a good addition without having to walk in as a day one starter and key player. Still a bit worried about safety depth and no idea if we will be 3-4 or 4-3 or a mix of both.

4- June 1st could be an interesting tipping point day. A few player contracts become more team friendly with cap hits and such and I'm looking at how we view our roster. There are plenty of areas to improve and we have plenty of cap space or do the new staff want to see what they have this season and build from there. I noticed Rodgers cap hit drops from $38m to $21m after June 1st aswell.

5-Week 1 looks the perfect chance to snap this L streak, get Lawrence and Meyer off to a good start, division win against a new staff. I think losing Watt will hurt Houston more off the field than on. I'm also interested to see how Meyer approaches pre season games. Everyone plays a vanilla playbook but you can get ideas of where they like guys and sets to line up in. There are no grand expectations like SB or playoffs for this year and I hope we just go out and give it everything and see where we end up. Etienne is another one I have big hope for and should also help Robinson too.

6-Snacks is still a monster and cant have enough big guys in the middle. Dont know how many more times I can see Taven getting pushed back!

7- Yep, so excited for thos season but feels sofar away and had enough of talking about....him. Got the Olympics in a month or so hopefully which is where I suddenly become an expert in everything from volleyball to weightlifting  Big Grin

1.  Yep.  Although some of it is borne from a Jaguars' QB reasonably held to higher expectations, there will almost always be some overreaction and panic to a report of this nature.  That said, I'd rather have this because we have Trevor Lawrence, than the deafening silence of indifference because we have someone inferior at QB.

2.  If we were talking a 27 year old Julio Jones, I wouldn't be opposed to dealing for him.  It still likely would not happen, but I'd know that TL would still get Julio Jones in some of his prime years.  I think if the Falcons could keep Julio Jones, they could still get a good year or so out of him, but I would expect the decline and the injuries to become more evident.  I think because ETN will be utilized as a WR, that would lend itself to keeping at most 5 "pure" WRs on the roster.  The question is who will be on the bottom?  I like what I saw of Collin Johnson last year and I am encouraged by what Jimmy Smith had to say about him this year.  But as I've often said, I am unsure whether he matches UM's WR paradigm.  I am not a huge fan of Phillip Dorsett, but I think he fits UMs WR paradigm more.  It would not be a total shock if Dorsett is kept over Collin Johnson, but I believe it will be a mistake if he is.  I would really like a healthy in his rime Hurns for TL.  Don't see it happening this year considering we only brought in six UDFAs.

3.  You raise a fundamental chicken vs. egg type debate that has existed in football.  Most people think (myself included) that I'd rather have a dominant D-Line and live with substandrd DBs than vice versa.  But that belief system may be slowly changing.  There seems to be a school of thought developing that because offenses are so effective in getting the ball out more quickly now, having quality DBs becomes more paramount.  UM may well be on the edge of that approach, considering how many DBs he brought in this offseason.  I was initially not too crazy about the Henderson pick last year, but his first game was nothing short of brilliant.  I've been looking for him to repeat that performance ever since.  I hope he can play the entire season at that level.  If Henderson, Griffin and Campbell can all play at a high level, our pass defense will be nice to see.

5.  It's really strange considering we are coming off of a 1-15 season and have a rookie QB and rookie coach, but I seem like I am bordering on overconfidence going into our week 1 matchup against Houston.  I just hope I am not disappointed.

6.  Speaking of disappointments and Taven Bryan...SMH.  I shouldn't root for guys to be unemployed, but I don't want Bryan on this team any more without him making dramatic improvement.

Thank you very much.  I enjoy the dialogue with all of you guys and gals on here.  To the extent I have any sanity left, you guys help me keep it by giving good football talk.  Thank you.

Re: #6, that's the thing with the moves this team made this offseason. We kept a failure like Bryan but bailed on Scott and Oliver while signing a washed up Hyde and Dorsett and uber project Tebow. It just seems like there's no real strategy behind these moves but to "get faster" and give FoUs a job.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-31-2021, 09:47 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 08:46 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: 1- Yeah I saw the media label Lawrence a 'rookie QB' as he missed 2 RZ throws. I think this is something we are going to have to get used to, anytime the 'best prospect since Manning' makes the slightest mistake ite going to get massively overblown. Thats what practise is for! In a way I like that that's all theyve got to criticize him on.

1.  Yep.  Although some of it is borne from a Jaguars' QB reasonably held to higher expectations, there will almost always be some overreaction and panic to a report of this nature.  That said, I'd rather have this because we have Trevor Lawrence, than the deafening silence of indifference because we have someone inferior at QB.

2.  If we were talking a 27 year old Julio Jones, I wouldn't be opposed to dealing for him.  It still likely would not happen, but I'd know that TL would still get Julio Jones in some of his prime years.  I think if the Falcons could keep Julio Jones, they could still get a good year or so out of him, but I would expect the decline and the injuries to become more evident.  I think because ETN will be utilized as a WR, that would lend itself to keeping at most 5 "pure" WRs on the roster.  The question is who will be on the bottom?  I like what I saw of Collin Johnson last year and I am encouraged by what Jimmy Smith had to say about him this year.  But as I've often said, I am unsure whether he matches UM's WR paradigm.  I am not a huge fan of Phillip Dorsett, but I think he fits UMs WR paradigm more.  It would not be a total shock if Dorsett is kept over Collin Johnson, but I believe it will be a mistake if he is.  I would really like a healthy in his rime Hurns for TL.  Don't see it happening this year considering we only brought in six UDFAs.

3.  You raise a fundamental chicken vs. egg type debate that has existed in football.  Most people think (myself included) that I'd rather have a dominant D-Line and live with substandrd DBs than vice versa.  But that belief system may be slowly changing.  There seems to be a school of thought developing that because offenses are so effective in getting the ball out more quickly now, having quality DBs becomes more paramount.  UM may well be on the edge of that approach, considering how many DBs he brought in this offseason.  I was initially not too crazy about the Henderson pick last year, but his first game was nothing short of brilliant.  I've been looking for him to repeat that performance ever since.  I hope he can play the entire season at that level.  If Henderson, Griffin and Campbell can all play at a high level, our pass defense will be nice to see.

5.  It's really strange considering we are coming off of a 1-15 season and have a rookie QB and rookie coach, but I seem like I am bordering on overconfidence going into our week 1 matchup against Houston.  I just hope I am not disappointed.

6.  Speaking of disappointments and Taven Bryan...SMH.  I shouldn't root for guys to be unemployed, but I don't want Bryan on this team any more without him making dramatic improvement.

Thank you very much.  I enjoy the dialogue with all of you guys and gals on here.  To the extent I have any sanity left, you guys help me keep it by giving good football talk.  Thank you.

1- Yeah your right, the bar for Lawrence will be higher and that's fair. Hes the #1 pick and been hyped to the moon. I also agree it's nice to pick on 2 missed passes where as with someone like Bortles, wr celebrated him only missing 2 passes. Damn Blake must have been on fire!!

2- Yeah if we were close and somebody like Julio could take you over the top and you would see his impact in January but that's not where we are. I think he still has a good season or 2 in him but think someone will bite and take a chance on him. I'm also not that big on the Dorsett pickup but like you say, hes a Meyer guy and he obviously thinks he can offer us something. It will be an interesting story to follow through OTA's and Camp and I'm intrigued how that unit falls depth wise. I do wonder how Meyer is looking at those areas of the roster and how much he thinks they can do what he wants.

3- You put that so well. That's exactly it. It's not just get a solid DB unit and your D line feasts or a great D line and your DB's will suddenly be better. It's the whole unit working together. A solid D line can stop the run or hold them to short yardage which makes the QB throw. If you cant stop them up front or have to bring LB's or Safeties down to help then you open yourself up for the deep ball. I'm looking forward to that first preseason game just to see what they are thinking even though it will be a vanilla version. I loved Bouye and Ramsey and Henderson started great but struggled at times. We really need him to step up this season and hopefully he can. We have a lot of question marks on players and that's not being negative but a new staff and new system, can that take them to that next step. I really hope but we have to wait and see

5- I know Meyers college career has already made some peoples opinions and I'm not saying either side is right or wrong. I said at the time this feels a hire that's going to be brilliant or a disaster, I dont see a middle ground. I'm encouraged when I hear him speak and while every coach 'wants to win', it feels different to Marrone's 'we'll be better next week' schtick. I have no number of W's or expectations like playoffs, just want to see improvement but I'm also excited to see just what we can do this season.

6- Agreed. I know he was like the 30th pick but still a 1st rounder. He has the odd play where he does something but we only notice that as theres so many we dont see him. Hes got some competition this season in the middle and it would be great if he could be that guy but his time is running out.

I love this crazy place. So nice to chat with proper fans. We aren't the Pat's with the bandwagon and we haven't had much to cheer about but one day....one day. Its going to be so much sweeter for all these tough years.

No way I’m trading Shenault for 32 year old Julio. Maybe if he was 30 years old.

At 32 I just can’t do it as much as I would like to. Nice write up Bullseye

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2021, 09:00 AM by Jag149.)

(05-31-2021, 11:27 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: No way I’m trading Shenault for 32 year old Julio. Maybe if he was 30 years old.

At 32 I just can’t do it as much as I would like to. Nice write up Bullseye

I almost feel sorry for Atlanta. They have maneuvered the franchise into a spot between the proverbial rock and hard place. Not sure they have enough room to even sign their draft class. We have been there. No reason for us or any other team to bail them out as I am positive they would not do that for us. (remember I said almost )
A new broom always sweeps clean.

2: It sounds weird to say, but where would Julio fit on this team? It feels like at his age, he is just a plus version of Chark and on the decline. Chark appears to be ascending. Building plays around Julio probably just takes opportunities from Chark to build a connection with Lawrence. Trading Shenault means we are down a truly dynamic receiver as far as YAC with a unique skill set. We have a great mix of WR talent, I don't think investing what it takes to acquire Julio makes sense.

3: I definitely feel the same as you on the Campbell pick. Usually reactions like that are the result of expectations built over many months not matching reality. Some of the players falling out of Round 1 were guys I hoped for at pick 25. They fit obvious needs and to my untrained eye looked like true first round talents. They obviously feel very strongly that Campbell is a superior talent/ value. He certainly was not a need selection. Hopefully they are right, but it is tough to get excited about a player when you start from a place of disappointment.

4: I would be willing to trade for a young pass catching TE if one comes available. Njoku is probably the most obvious, but maybe NY is ready to move on from Evan Engram. I would prefer not to go after an older TE since we aren't going anywhere this year. It just feels like a waste to add a player like Ertz at this point in his career.

7: You mentioned video games in a later post. Please don't take offense, but I assumed you were past video game age based on some of your fantastic football history knowledge/ perspective. What type of games do you like? I'm sure our fellow posters can help you find fun options to pass the dead zone.

(06-02-2021, 12:18 PM)rufftime Wrote:

2: It sounds weird to say, but where would Julio fit on this team? It feels like at his age, he is just a plus version of Chark and on the decline. Chark appears to be ascending. Building plays around Julio probably just takes opportunities from Chark to build a connection with Lawrence. Trading Shenault means we are down a truly dynamic receiver as far as YAC with a unique skill set. We have a great mix of WR talent, I don't think investing what it takes to acquire Julio makes sense.

3: I definitely feel the same as you on the Campbell pick. Usually reactions like that are the result of expectations built over many months not matching reality. Some of the players falling out of Round 1 were guys I hoped for at pick 25. They fit obvious needs and to my untrained eye looked like true first round talents. They obviously feel very strongly that Campbell is a superior talent/ value. He certainly was not a need selection. Hopefully they are right, but it is tough to get excited about a player when you start from a place of disappointment.

4: I would be willing to trade for a young pass catching TE if one comes available. Njoku is probably the most obvious, but maybe NY is ready to move on from Evan Engram. I would prefer not to go after an older TE since we aren't going anywhere this year. It just feels like a waste to add a player like Ertz at this point in his career.

7: You mentioned video games in a later post. Please don't take offense, but I assumed you were past video game age based on some of your fantastic football history knowledge/ perspective. What type of games do you like? I'm sure our fellow posters can help you find fun options to pass the dead zone.

2. If this team were 2 years further along (or even 1 year if Lawrence is the real deal early) i'd say yes. But give the age, the money and the fact that he only played 8 games last year with a lingering injury i'm gonna pass. There's nothing that Julio does as far as veteran leadership we can't get out of MJJ and nothing receiving wise that Chark can't grow into (at this point in Julio's career well north of 30 that is)

3. Yea, i was expecting this pick to be an impact player at a key position of need, specifically offensive line. In hindsight Walker Little was their guy and they were targeting him where we got him so if they knew they were going to address it later in the round I can kind of understand. Campbell was BAP for them and has all the athletic tools, it's good to know we have depth at CB for this first time since 2017, and he'll be used at nickel and SS as well. considering Henderson showed potential and was drafted high last year, it was just surprising to see them go CB after that AND signing Griffin I guess

4. I'd make the trade for Ertz, I think he just needs a change of scenery. If the Giants are willing to just give away Engram for a midrounder i'm willing to take a flyer on him

7. Break down film. When you eventually get bored of that, look ahead to the 2022 draft. put together a top 100 and try and see how it matches up with the Jaguars remaining needs; always fun to speculate on that.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!