Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Colts Game

Apologies for not posting after last week’s game.  I was absolutely giddy with the team’s performance, especially over my buddy’s team.  I had some technical difficulties, and ordinarily that would have irritated me to no end as I tried to post.  However, nothing was going to rain on my parade last week.  I was skeptical of the team coming into this week.  Seems I was proven right.  But it wasn’t as easy as it sounds.

My thoughts:

1.      I don’t know what it’s going to take for this team to stop killing itself with stupid penalties, but they are needlessly burdening themselves with penalties that keep this team in second and long yardage.  Manhertz alone accounted for thirty (30) yards in penalties.  With Trevor’s inexperience and the lack of talent in the receiving corps, this team has enough to overcome.  The last thing this team needs is the weekly barrage of penaltes that keep us behind the chains.  It HAS to stop!

2.      For most of the season, the defense has been cringeworthy.  The blitzes always seemed predictable by other offenses and never seemed to generate any pressure.  On top of that, they couldn’t cover anyone.  Even in the first quarter today, the run defense looked frighteningly bad.  However, over the past few weeks, thi is looking more and more like a defense that gets it.  The blitzes are timely and are generating legitimate pressure. Josh Allen has come on like a ton of bricks.  The move to zone defense has done a lot for the coverage, and aside from a disastrous first quarter, the run defense looks pretty good too against a strong Colts running game.  The defense didn’t make the game turning play needed to win (I’m looking at you, Griffin), but they played well today.

3.      Jamal Agnew seems every bit the weapon we hoped Shenault would become for us. That TD run on the jet sweep was a thing of beauty! I just wish he had more consistent hands.  But considering he is making the switch from DB/ST player to offensive weapon, struggles in that area are to be expected.

4.      Is it too soon, too little to say that Taven Bryan is having a resurgence?  Okay, that term implies an initial surge…something we haven’t seen.  But Bryan has had a good couple of games.

5.      A decent. Not great OL performance from the O Line.  Not much surrendered in the way of sacks, but TL took some hits today that made me uncomfortable, and more importantly, looked like they made HIM uncomfortable.

6.      Special teams was NOT good at all.  Bryant’s kickoffs were short, which enabled the Colts to get decent return yardage/field position on kickoffs.  Bryant also missed a FG and an extra point that could have been key down the stretch.  But without question, the worst thing was Logan Cook getting his punt blocked.  I think Wingard, the up back, let his guy come through for the block, as replays showed he looked away from the rushers and stepped to the right.  He could not recover in time to keep his rusher from blocking the kick.  That was the difference in the game and put us in a hole early.

7.      Rookie Watch:
                         A.     Trevor Lawrence-I know some of the passing game struggles have to do with lack of talent and speed at WR.  I know part of the passing game struggles have to do with opposing defenses having film on the receivers.  Part of the struggles have to do with opposing defenses having film on Trevor Lawrence.  But I can’t completely absolve Trevor Lawrence from blame.  I think his inexperience is contributing to some of the struggles.  He is also having issues with accuracy.  Those accuracy issues are having a negative effect on the offense overall.  A more productive game from him could have led to a win for us.  He needs to step it up.

B.         Travis Etienne-DNP.  On IR

C.     Tyson Campbell-He got lots of playing time, but had minimal negative impact.  He even forced an incompletion bby knocking the ball out of the receiver’s hands on the sidelines.  I still don’t have any faith in him.  But that was a sign of improvement, no matter how slight.

D.     Walker little-Was a surprise starter last week, but with Cams return to LT this week, Little didn’t get any PT.

E.      Andre Cisco-Saw him out there twice.  Got called for one penalty.  I’d still like to see him get more playing time.

F.      Jay Tufele-  DNP

G.    Jordan Smith- Inactive

H.     Luke Farrell- Did not see him at all.

8.      Nice to see Treadwell get his first catch as a Jaguar.

9.      Malcolm Brown had a good game at DT, and got good movement in on short yardage down at the goal line.  In fact, I’m glad they finally adopted a more conventional goal line approach rather than always having TL in spread in short yardage.

10.  Bottom line:  A disappointing loss, especially with the way we opened the game.  It looked like the Colts were going to put this game away early with a blowout.  However, I am impressed with the team’s fight and unwillingness to quit.  I got the sense the team was not out adjusted at halftime and were in a legit position to win the game at the end.  While the loss will make it seem hollow, this is another sign, albeit small, of progress.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Messages In This Thread
Impressions From the Colts Game - by Bullseye - 11-14-2021, 06:19 PM
RE: Impressions From the Colts Game - by NYC4jags - 11-14-2021, 06:30 PM
RE: Impressions From the Colts Game - by Jags - 11-14-2021, 08:00 PM
RE: Impressions From the Colts Game - by Jags - 11-14-2021, 08:48 PM
RE: Impressions From the Colts Game - by DTWD4∞ - 11-14-2021, 09:48 PM
RE: Impressions From the Colts Game - by surfon - 11-14-2021, 09:46 PM
RE: Impressions From the Colts Game - by rfc17 - 11-14-2021, 09:47 PM
RE: Impressions From the Colts Game - by NYC4jags - 11-15-2021, 10:54 AM
RE: Impressions From the Colts Game - by NYC4jags - 11-16-2021, 12:44 PM
RE: Impressions From the Colts Game - by NYC4jags - 11-16-2021, 10:32 PM
RE: Impressions From the Colts Game - by NYC4jags - 11-18-2021, 02:45 PM