Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Colts Game

Apologies for not posting after last week’s game.  I was absolutely giddy with the team’s performance, especially over my buddy’s team.  I had some technical difficulties, and ordinarily that would have irritated me to no end as I tried to post.  However, nothing was going to rain on my parade last week.  I was skeptical of the team coming into this week.  Seems I was proven right.  But it wasn’t as easy as it sounds.

My thoughts:

1.      I don’t know what it’s going to take for this team to stop killing itself with stupid penalties, but they are needlessly burdening themselves with penalties that keep this team in second and long yardage.  Manhertz alone accounted for thirty (30) yards in penalties.  With Trevor’s inexperience and the lack of talent in the receiving corps, this team has enough to overcome.  The last thing this team needs is the weekly barrage of penaltes that keep us behind the chains.  It HAS to stop!

2.      For most of the season, the defense has been cringeworthy.  The blitzes always seemed predictable by other offenses and never seemed to generate any pressure.  On top of that, they couldn’t cover anyone.  Even in the first quarter today, the run defense looked frighteningly bad.  However, over the past few weeks, thi is looking more and more like a defense that gets it.  The blitzes are timely and are generating legitimate pressure. Josh Allen has come on like a ton of bricks.  The move to zone defense has done a lot for the coverage, and aside from a disastrous first quarter, the run defense looks pretty good too against a strong Colts running game.  The defense didn’t make the game turning play needed to win (I’m looking at you, Griffin), but they played well today.

3.      Jamal Agnew seems every bit the weapon we hoped Shenault would become for us. That TD run on the jet sweep was a thing of beauty! I just wish he had more consistent hands.  But considering he is making the switch from DB/ST player to offensive weapon, struggles in that area are to be expected.

4.      Is it too soon, too little to say that Taven Bryan is having a resurgence?  Okay, that term implies an initial surge…something we haven’t seen.  But Bryan has had a good couple of games.

5.      A decent. Not great OL performance from the O Line.  Not much surrendered in the way of sacks, but TL took some hits today that made me uncomfortable, and more importantly, looked like they made HIM uncomfortable.

6.      Special teams was NOT good at all.  Bryant’s kickoffs were short, which enabled the Colts to get decent return yardage/field position on kickoffs.  Bryant also missed a FG and an extra point that could have been key down the stretch.  But without question, the worst thing was Logan Cook getting his punt blocked.  I think Wingard, the up back, let his guy come through for the block, as replays showed he looked away from the rushers and stepped to the right.  He could not recover in time to keep his rusher from blocking the kick.  That was the difference in the game and put us in a hole early.

7.      Rookie Watch:
                         A.     Trevor Lawrence-I know some of the passing game struggles have to do with lack of talent and speed at WR.  I know part of the passing game struggles have to do with opposing defenses having film on the receivers.  Part of the struggles have to do with opposing defenses having film on Trevor Lawrence.  But I can’t completely absolve Trevor Lawrence from blame.  I think his inexperience is contributing to some of the struggles.  He is also having issues with accuracy.  Those accuracy issues are having a negative effect on the offense overall.  A more productive game from him could have led to a win for us.  He needs to step it up.

B.         Travis Etienne-DNP.  On IR

C.     Tyson Campbell-He got lots of playing time, but had minimal negative impact.  He even forced an incompletion bby knocking the ball out of the receiver’s hands on the sidelines.  I still don’t have any faith in him.  But that was a sign of improvement, no matter how slight.

D.     Walker little-Was a surprise starter last week, but with Cams return to LT this week, Little didn’t get any PT.

E.      Andre Cisco-Saw him out there twice.  Got called for one penalty.  I’d still like to see him get more playing time.

F.      Jay Tufele-  DNP

G.    Jordan Smith- Inactive

H.     Luke Farrell- Did not see him at all.

8.      Nice to see Treadwell get his first catch as a Jaguar.

9.      Malcolm Brown had a good game at DT, and got good movement in on short yardage down at the goal line.  In fact, I’m glad they finally adopted a more conventional goal line approach rather than always having TL in spread in short yardage.

10.  Bottom line:  A disappointing loss, especially with the way we opened the game.  It looked like the Colts were going to put this game away early with a blowout.  However, I am impressed with the team’s fight and unwillingness to quit.  I got the sense the team was not out adjusted at halftime and were in a legit position to win the game at the end.  While the loss will make it seem hollow, this is another sign, albeit small, of progress.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Penalties, offensive game plan/play calling are ongoing issues.
Trevor having a poor accuracy day didn't help.

Special teams failures were ugly and catastrophic today.

Defense was horrible for 13 minutes then good for the remainder.

-------------

Would love to see more 3 step drop , quick release passes called - they are hurting Lawrence with the long developing play calls being overused.

Offense has to stop racking up 10-15 yards in penalties on 80% of drives.

ST needs fundamental refresher course.

Defense should finally make the obvious switch at safety

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2021, 06:40 PM by SeldomRite. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-14-2021, 06:30 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Penalties, offensive game plan/play calling are ongoing issues.
Trevor having a poor accuracy day didn't help.

Special teams failures were ugly and catastrophic today.

Defense was horrible for 13 minutes then good for the remainder.

-------------

Would love to see more 3 step drop , quick release passes called - they are hurting Lawrence with the long developing play calls being overused.

Offense has to stop racking up  10-15 yards in penalties on 80% of drives.

ST needs fundamental refresher course.

Defense should finally make the obvious switch at safety

There were some head scratcher plays called today. The quarterback run on first down later in the fourth quarter was one, another where there was a play fake then the entire left side of the line let their guys through to crunch Lawrence was awful.

I don't know if those were just bad execution, Lawrence getting mixed up, or [BLEEP] play calls, but we're nine games in, I'd hope that kind of thing was behind us by now.

We need to use Agnew like the Bears used Devin Hester. I WANT TO SEE MORE OF AGNEW ON OFFENSE!

(11-14-2021, 06:30 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: -------------

Can't agree with this more. Get the kid in a rhythm. Hand offs to Robinson and 3 stop drop reads with some rollout options sprinkled in there.

Lawrence and the offense could have played better. Now, if we had a kicker like Scobee or the old Lambo it could have been a different game. Wright miss an XP. Okay, made up for by getting 2 on the second. Wright missed a makable FG. Add three and it’s overtime Take away a blocked punt for a td, and the Jags would’ve won. It’s not how it panned out. But fix the stupid [BLEEP]/find a decent kicker and we’re mediocre at best.

Better coaching and a better roster and I think we’re at least a respectable team.

(11-14-2021, 08:00 PM)Jags Wrote: Lawrence and the offense could have played better.  Now, if we had a kicker like Scobee or the old Lambo it could have been a different game.  Wright miss an XP.  Okay, made up for by getting 2 on the second.  Wright missed a makable FG.  Add three and it’s overtime  Take away a blocked punt for a td, and the Jags would’ve won.  It’s not how it panned out.  But fix the stupid [BLEEP]/find a decent kicker and we’re mediocre at best. 

Better coaching and a better roster and I think we’re at least a respectable team.

Missing 50+ yard field goals happens, but he has a weak leg for the NFL. The short kicks-off are a problem for this team.

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2021, 08:50 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-14-2021, 08:32 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 08:00 PM)Jags Wrote: Lawrence and the offense could have played better.  Now, if we had a kicker like Scobee or the old Lambo it could have been a different game.  Wright miss an XP.  Okay, made up for by getting 2 on the second.  Wright missed a makable FG.  Add three and it’s overtime  Take away a blocked punt for a td, and the Jags would’ve won.  It’s not how it panned out.  But fix the stupid [BLEEP]/find a decent kicker and we’re mediocre at best. 

Missing 50+ yard field goals happens, but he has a weak leg for the NFL. The short kicks-off are a problem for this team.

Although true, unless I’ve been that spoiled with Scobee and Lambo, you shouldn’t be holding your breath for an XP or wondering if the kick I’ll be long enough for a 50+. We don’t have our kicker.  Sadly, even with the offense being inept most of the time, a reliable kicker would have at least had this game tied or won if not for the rare blocked punt/td return. I understand that the blocked punt isn’t 100% on the kicker.

I honestly don’t have too much of an issue with the short kick offs if the coverage were better.  At least this week.

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2021, 09:47 PM by surfon. Edited 1 time in total.)

Cullen needed to stop Taylor earlier in the game. He finally got that right and the game changed.

Trevor and or playcalling sucked. Wrs suck. Catch the ball. No separation. Ever.

Defense needed to get at least one turnover.

Its sad to see the frustration on robinsons face as another good run gets called back by penalty.

Nice summary bullseye.

Nycjags you are spot on also.

Didn't see much of the game other than the last drive. Sounds like Lawrence was inaccurate today. Especially early. But also sounds like there were some bad drops as well. Not sure what has happened but it feels like the offense has really taken a step back since the bye. The stretch from the Cardinals-Dolphins games it felt like the offense was beginning to find a rhythm at times. Yea we left a lot of points on the field for various reasons (missed 4th downs, missed FGs, dumb penalties, etc...) but it felt like things were starting to come together. But it's almost as if the Seahawks game dealt a body blow the offense hasnt quite recovered from yet. Was hoping that was more of anomaly thinking the team didn't cope with losing Robinson early in the game. But the poor play has continued the last two weeks. Don't follow closely enough anymore to know if the Seahawks exposed some schematic flaw and we haven't been able to adjust yet. It also feels like Lawrence has taken a step back the last three games as well. A lot more tentative and the accuracy feels like more of an issue. We just aren't seeing the confident throws down the field that are on the money like we did earlier in the year. And the few times we do there is a decent chance it'll be dropped. While we can talk all we want about not much talent (which I think is legit), the only person we've lost is Chark. And we've gained Arnold and Agnew. Chark isn't so big of a threat to completely handicap an offense without him. Which makes me think it is more of a scheme thing and/or defenses have figured out what Lawrence likes to do and are forcing him into plays he is less comfortable with. And he just needs to involve. As does the offensive playcalling. We throw a lot of stuff underneath but rarely are we running pick plays and scheming guys open.

Overall though still feels to me like the team is moving in the right direction. Seattle game appears to be a real outlier. Team is still playing hard. Defense is getting a lot better. If the offense can start to move the ball like it was before the bye and the defense can continue this play, we'll definitely start putting more Ws on the board.

good take except we don't know what would have happened if the punt was not blocked other than probably more time of possession for the Clots in the first quarter. From the second quarter on the defense played very well. Overall this year I am not impressed with Bevell.  I would like to see Shotty call a game.

I agree. I am not a fan of Bevell.

The defense only gave up 16 points, despite the slow start. They played well enough for us to win. I can't fault the defense for the blocked punt. I know it was Winger that didn't see 3 guys in 2 gaps on the left side...but it was ST. The offense continues to shoot themselves in the foot with penalties and dropped passes. I have to believe we are one Travis Etienne type player away from being to execute this offense as it is being called much better. Problem is we don't have that guy. The coaches need to do maybe a deep dive like the defense did and adjust to the personnel they have?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

The big thing for me is that defense showed that last week wasn't a complete fluke.  No, it wasn't quite as good, but still a very respectable performance.  The Colts scored 23 points, but 7 points came off a blocked punt.  The defense only gave up 16 points.  The Colts scored 45 points last week and have scored 30+ points in each of the last four games.  I would also note that the Bills who we held to 6 points last week scored 45 points in their game today.  They've now scored 26+ points in seven straight games not counting the Jaguars and three of those games were 40+ points.  That's back to back good defensive performance by the Jaguars against high scoring teams.  The switch to the zone defense has clearly been successful.  Rudy Ford has also been a good addition to the lineup and we've also seen improved performance by various players including Allen, Smoot, Bryan, etc.

(11-14-2021, 11:05 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: The big thing for me is that defense showed that last week wasn't a complete fluke.  No, it wasn't quite as good, but still a very respectable performance.  The Colts scored 23 points, but 7 points came off a blocked punt.  The defense only gave up 16 points.  The Colts scored 45 points last week and have scored 30+ points in each of the last four games.  I would also note that the Bills who we held to 6 points last week scored 45 points in their game today.  They've now scored 26+ points in seven straight games not counting the Jaguars and three of those games were 40+ points.  That's back to back good defensive performance by the Jaguars against high scoring teams.  The switch to the zone defense has clearly been successful.  Rudy Ford has also been a good addition to the lineup and we've also seen improved performance by various players including Allen, Smoot, Bryan, etc.

^  this is important stuff to note!

The pass rush went from a joke to dare I say... looking really really good? 

Wentz was running around quite a bit. It's like they just flipped a switch all of the sudden.

(11-15-2021, 03:20 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 11:05 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: The big thing for me is that defense showed that last week wasn't a complete fluke.  No, it wasn't quite as good, but still a very respectable performance.  The Colts scored 23 points, but 7 points came off a blocked punt.  The defense only gave up 16 points.  The Colts scored 45 points last week and have scored 30+ points in each of the last four games.  I would also note that the Bills who we held to 6 points last week scored 45 points in their game today.  They've now scored 26+ points in seven straight games not counting the Jaguars and three of those games were 40+ points.  That's back to back good defensive performance by the Jaguars against high scoring teams.  The switch to the zone defense has clearly been successful.  Rudy Ford has also been a good addition to the lineup and we've also seen improved performance by various players including Allen, Smoot, Bryan, etc.

^  this is important stuff to note!

Because it means offense can be the full focus for improvement. I don’t how much can be done considering the dearth of talent. Avoiding penalties should be the first step.

In that last sentence add Campbell to the list and I hated the pick. Campbell is improving a little each game.  QBs aren't able to pick on h any more

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2021, 09:17 AM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

That blocked punt ruined the game. This was a winnable game! The jags still need a little more help on d. Like a little. The d looks really nasty good lately. in the draft , it think 1 more cb and a line backer. Playmakers. Cullen scheme is what the jags fans have been asking for.

(11-14-2021, 10:11 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I agree. I am not a fan of Bevell.

In Bevell's defense, you can't scheme your way out of certain personnel limitations.  It might work for a game or two, but when opponents get some film to look at, and see what you are doing, they adjust, and if your personnel isn't good enough to counter-adjust, you are pretty screwed.  Right now, we don't have a receiver that can stretch the defense, so the defenders are no longer afraid of getting beat deep, so they cover the shorter routes that were working earlier in the year, and there's nothing we can do about it.  

That's what I'm noticing.  That's why Trevor is trying to throw to guys who are well-covered.  There aren't a lot of open receivers because defenses are starting to squat on the short routes, because they are not afraid of getting beat deep.   If you are an offensive coordinator, you can't scheme your way out of that.