Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
PSA: Jaguars Press Conference at 11:50 AM

(02-05-2022, 02:49 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 02:46 PM)Sibelius Wrote: Not really. There were twitter stories about Spielman being the guaranteed choice but the team never said that. He was nothing more than the first person they interviewed. They can interview other candidates now and choose the best fit. If it happens to be Spielman, so be it. If they choose someone else, same thing. 

The only problem is if there were some documented evidence that the Jags offered Spielman the job this past week and then set up the interviews.

Yeah, I caught that too. I thought it was an odd choice of words.

I didn't think it was odd at all.  I think it was an odd question.   What Khan was saying was, why would I announce that I am keeping someone who is already under contract?

You make a good point about Spielman.  And, I think there might be a lot of pressure from the league for us to hire a minority in that spot.  On the other hand, I would assume an EVP would be someone with GM experience, since he will be over the GM.  He needs to be able to step in as GM if that is called for.  There are not a lot of ex-GMs that are minorities.  So it would be hard to find a minority candidate for that spot, unless you get an ex-coach like Caldwell.

In addition, and I think this might become a very important factor, there will be a lot of pressure now on minority candidates not to take part in sham interviews.  Watch out for that.

I want a former GM and not a former coach for the EVP position.  I have faith in Doug Pederson to handle the coaching.  I have little to no faith in Trent Baalke to handle the personnel side.  We need someone who is experienced on the personnel side.

I'm not overly concerned about finding minority candidates to interview.  Even if they know it is a sham, some will still see it as being beneficial to themselves.  It gets their name out there in the press.  It raises their stature to be considered for an EVP position.  It can be used as leverage if they are interviewing somewhere else for whatever job.  It's also an opportunity to impress an NFL owner.  Even if the candidate doesn't get the EVP job, what if Baalke is fired a year from now?  Perhaps they go back to that guy who impressed in the EVP interviews to be the new GM.  People will interview.

Messages In This Thread
RE: PSA: Jaguars Press Conference at 11:50 AM - by TheDuke007 - 02-05-2022, 04:34 PM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 02-06-2022, 02:44 AM