Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What do you want to see from the starters this week?

(08-13-2022, 07:03 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-13-2022, 05:59 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote: I suspect they are trying to balance a few challenges.  A rookie center will be stretched, particularly early in the season, and having a guy on either side of him who are grisly veterans may be a safe bet for on-field coaching, etc.  But perhaps Bartch is a better guard than Shatley, but playing Bartch means you lose that on field coaching (if that’s what they are working at, which I think they are.  The veterans on either side idea came from the Pederson pre-game interview).

So the question is: what makes the line stronger?  Shatley next to Fortner with the on-the-spot mentorship or a slightly better Bartch but Fortner with less experience next to him?

My guess is we see Bartch getting practice time with the 1’s this week.  I think the decision on Shately or Bartch is less on the merits of them as individuals but how well Fortner plays lined up next to each of them.

EDIT: As I think about this some more, perhaps the reason Bartch has had some unexpected time running C drills is to give them the option of a less experienced LG.  Maybe if Bartch understands the C responsibilities better then he’ll be less dependent on an experienced player in that position.  Dunno.  Shatley didn’t play well so they have to consider options to try next week.  Or maybe take a punt on Shatley for the first three weeks of the season and then make a switch if they must.

EDIT II:  Fortner may have something to do with Little getting a first team go as well.  Scherff can only spread himself so thin.  Fortner’s development may have a say as to how much inexperience they can accept on both sides of Scherff.  How many times has Press Taylor said they need to figure the best combination of men in the OLine, or words to that effect?  Sure, in one-on-one comparisons you may select different guys, but if you decide to put Fortner in at center then the question mark positions, LG and RT, become a choice of the best person/experience combination on the line.  Could be.  Only the coaches know for sure,  guess.

So, it begs the question- what if our swing tackle is actually our best LG?  I wonder if they've thought of making a decision at RT and moving Jawaan Taylor to LG.

Why do people think Taylor can play guard?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do you want to see from the starters this week? - by flsprtsgod - 08-13-2022, 07:13 AM