Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Christmas (Holiday) Survey

(12-09-2022, 10:44 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-08-2022, 05:17 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I always thought this would be interesting to ask. Just always wondered how other members of the board celebrate, decorate and feast over the holiday season.

I'll start with a template.. Don't really need to go into detail, unless you want to.

Do you put up a tree or light a menorah?
Tree, one indoor, one on front porch

Is it an artificial tree or a real tree?
Fakes

Do you decorate the inside, outside or both with seasonal decor?
Both. I mainly do the lighting and leave decor to my bride.

Any special or unique traditions that you or your family like to do every season?
I make several gallons of egg nog, and give out small jars to friends

Any special holiday movie(s) that you consider a favorite 'must watch' every season?
The original Grinch, Emmet, The Year Without a Santa Claus (miser bros!!). I am losing the battle to mix up the rotation of xmas movies, seeing the same movies every year for 15 years takes away some of the intrigue for me.

How about Christmas or Holiday Dinner? Turkey? Ham? Steak & Lobster?
Growing up, gram would make a huge Spaghetti dinner, with meatballs, sausage, pork neckbones, and uh, the pigeons that weren't winning races. I think we do Turkey nowadays, but I know which battles are worth fighting.
Oh yeah, and after dinner at gram's the men would drink and play poker, and we'd eat smelt, which are little fish, fried and salted. If time travel ever becomes a thing, this is where I'm going.

How long do you keep your tree up after the Holiday?
Depends. Usually the weekend after New Year's, depending on whether I am donating platelets that Saturday. 7.5 ft. fake tree is a heavy load to carry up the ladder into the attic!

Any Christmas or Holiday parties that you attend yearly? Work? Family? Friends?
Prime Rib beer dinner at the local watering hole. Not necessarily a party, but it's blocked into the calendar every year.

Favorite Christmas or Holiday Present, you have ever given?
Nothing comes to mind, probably because the gifiting part of the holiday is my least favorite part of the season.

If there's anything else that I didn't think of that you'd like to share, feel free! I love hearing about other traditions and cultures.

Favorite Song: O Holy Night (not ashamed to say I'll cry just about any time I hear it)
Least Favorite Song: that Mariah Carey song is beyond overrated, but the crown has to go to SIMMMMMMMMPLY HAAAAAAAAAAAAAVING

And if you've never seen Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, you're missing out!!

[Image: emmet-otter-emmet-otter-jug-band-christmas-1.gif]

see above. Cool idea!

That's pretty cool with the eggnog.. Family recipe? Non-alcoholic?
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Messages In This Thread
The Christmas (Holiday) Survey - by WingerDinger - 12-08-2022, 05:17 PM
RE: The Christmas (Holiday) Survey - by Jags - 12-08-2022, 07:50 PM
RE: The Christmas (Holiday) Survey - by Jags - 12-08-2022, 09:54 PM
RE: The Christmas (Holiday) Survey - by Mikey - 12-09-2022, 10:44 AM
RE: The Christmas (Holiday) Survey - by WingerDinger - 12-09-2022, 10:49 AM
RE: The Christmas (Holiday) Survey - by Mikey - 12-09-2022, 05:14 PM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 12-09-2022, 10:47 AM
RE: The Christmas (Holiday) Survey - by Caldrac - 12-09-2022, 06:58 PM
RE: The Christmas (Holiday) Survey - by Jags - 12-09-2022, 08:02 PM
RE: The Christmas (Holiday) Survey - by Sammy - 12-10-2022, 03:42 PM