Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Christmas (Holiday) Survey

Star 

I always thought this would be interesting to ask. Just always wondered how other members of the board celebrate, decorate and feast over the holiday season.

I'll start with a template.. Don't really need to go into detail, unless you want to.

Do you put up a tree or light a menorah?
(Tree)

Is it an artificial tree or a real tree?
(We always do a real tree, love that pine scent)

Do you decorate the inside, outside or both with seasonal decor?
(We decorate both the inside and outside. Lots of lights. Has to look right though, don't like tacky)

Any special or unique traditions that you or your family like to do every season?
(None off the top of my head)

Any special holiday movie(s) that you consider a favorite 'must watch' every season?
(A Christmas Story, Miracle on 34th Street, Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life)

How about Christmas or Holiday Dinner? Turkey? Ham? Steak & Lobster?
(We normally do either a turkey or ham, but this year my wife is making a slow cooker roast beef)

How long do you keep your tree up after the Holiday?
(We used to keep ours up until New Years, but the last handful of years, everything has been coming down a couple of days after)

Any Christmas or Holiday parties that you attend yearly? Work? Family? Friends?
(Not really, but we used to go to our Christmas Party at work, that's about it)

Favorite Christmas or Holiday Present, you have ever given?
(About 15 years ago, I bought my mom this really old, beautiful antique glass hutch. I only paid maybe $300-$400 for it, but the impact it had on my mom was priceless.

If there's anything else that I didn't think of that you'd like to share, feel free! I love hearing about other traditions and cultures.

And if you've never seen Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, you're missing out!!

[Image: emmet-otter-emmet-otter-jug-band-christmas-1.gif]
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2022, 07:51 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

Maybe include best gift you’ve received as well. Not that it’s about receiving.  Unless you like to receive, of course.  In the spirit of best being something completely unexpected, needed, extra thoughtful/special etc.

(12-08-2022, 05:17 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I always thought this would be interesting to ask. Just always wondered how other members of the board celebrate, decorate and feast over the holiday season.

I'll start with a template.. Don't really need to go into detail, unless you want to.

(Tree) I  put a tree up. Only put menorah in the grass in areas that need more nutrients 

Been artificial for years, this year we went for a real one

Do you decorate the inside, outside or both with seasonal decor? Both

(We decorate both the inside and outside. Lots of lights. Has to look right though, don't like tacky)

Any special or unique traditions that you or your family like to do every season?
not really 

Any special holiday movie(s) that you consider a favorite 'must watch' every season?
(A Christmas Story, Miracle on 34th Street, Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life)
no

(We normally do either a turkey or ham, but this year my wife is making a slow cooker roast beef)
Usually turkey or ham, last couple of years we’ve had a prime rib roast. I’m hoping that’s what it is again. My wife does a great job making those buggers. 
(We used to keep ours up until New Years, but the last handful of years, everything has been coming down a couple of days after)
Used to do the new year thing, now we are old.  So now it comes down a lot earlier.  Usually we want our extra space back that the tree takes up. 
occasionally a work party for the Mrs place.  This year my mom asked for me to attend the FOP one with her.  She’s my mom, gotta go.  But I try to avoid them. 

(About 15 years ago, I bought my mom this really old, beautiful antique glass hutch. I only paid maybe $300-$400 for it, but the impact it had on my mom was priceless.
wifw and kid usually get a bad [BLEEP] gift.  The wife’s gift tends to get pricey.  Usually because I wait too long and say [BLEEP] it.  So I’ve given them many nice gifts.  But in special wise…idk.  I gave my brother a 200 knife last year.  We don’t usually exchange gifts, I just wanted to do something for him nice that he would appreciate. 

If there's anything else that I didn't think of that you'd like to share, feel free! I love hearing about other traditions and cultures.

(12-08-2022, 05:17 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I always thought this would be interesting to ask. Just always wondered how other members of the board celebrate, decorate and feast over the holiday season.

Tree, one indoor, one on front porch

Fakes

Both. I mainly do the lighting and leave decor to my bride.

I make several gallons of egg nog, and give out small jars to friends

The original Grinch, Emmet, The Year Without a Santa Claus (miser bros!!). I am losing the battle to mix up the rotation of xmas movies, seeing the same movies every year for 15 years takes away some of the intrigue for me.

Growing up, gram would make a huge Spaghetti dinner, with meatballs, sausage, pork neckbones, and uh, the pigeons that weren't winning races. I think we do Turkey nowadays, but I know which battles are worth fighting.
Oh yeah, and after dinner at gram's the men would drink and play poker, and we'd eat smelt, which are little fish, fried and salted. If time travel ever becomes a thing, this is where I'm going.

Depends. Usually the weekend after New Year's, depending on whether I am donating platelets that Saturday. 7.5 ft. fake tree is a heavy load to carry up the ladder into the attic!

Prime Rib beer dinner at the local watering hole. Not necessarily a party, but it's blocked into the calendar every year.

Nothing comes to mind, probably because the gifiting part of the holiday is my least favorite part of the season.

Favorite Song: O Holy Night (not ashamed to say I'll cry just about any time I hear it)
Least Favorite Song: that Mariah Carey song is beyond overrated, but the crown has to go to SIMMMMMMMMPLY HAAAAAAAAAAAAAVING

see above. Cool idea!

Bah!

[Image: 596185.jpg]

(12-09-2022, 10:44 AM)Mikey Wrote:

Tree, one indoor, one on front porch

Fakes

Both. I mainly do the lighting and leave decor to my bride.

I make several gallons of egg nog, and give out small jars to friends

The original Grinch, Emmet, The Year Without a Santa Claus (miser bros!!). I am losing the battle to mix up the rotation of xmas movies, seeing the same movies every year for 15 years takes away some of the intrigue for me.

Growing up, gram would make a huge Spaghetti dinner, with meatballs, sausage, pork neckbones, and uh, the pigeons that weren't winning races. I think we do Turkey nowadays, but I know which battles are worth fighting.
Oh yeah, and after dinner at gram's the men would drink and play poker, and we'd eat smelt, which are little fish, fried and salted. If time travel ever becomes a thing, this is where I'm going.

Depends. Usually the weekend after New Year's, depending on whether I am donating platelets that Saturday. 7.5 ft. fake tree is a heavy load to carry up the ladder into the attic!

Prime Rib beer dinner at the local watering hole. Not necessarily a party, but it's blocked into the calendar every year.

Nothing comes to mind, probably because the gifiting part of the holiday is my least favorite part of the season.

Favorite Song: O Holy Night (not ashamed to say I'll cry just about any time I hear it)
Least Favorite Song: that Mariah Carey song is beyond overrated, but the crown has to go to SIMMMMMMMMPLY HAAAAAAAAAAAAAVING

see above. Cool idea!

That's pretty cool with the eggnog.. Family recipe? Non-alcoholic?

(12-09-2022, 10:49 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: That's pretty cool with the eggnog.. Family recipe? Non-alcoholic?

Friend's grandad's recipe that was shared. On the contrary, quite alcholic. 2 cups of brown liquor per batch, which does well to fill a 96 oz jug. I mix it up and do some with whiskey, and after last year's test, spiced rum might even be a bit better.

(12-09-2022, 05:14 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-09-2022, 10:49 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: That's pretty cool with the eggnog.. Family recipe? Non-alcoholic?

Friend's grandad's recipe that was shared. On the contrary, quite alcholic. 2 cups of brown liquor per batch, which does well to fill a 96 oz jug. I mix it up and do some with whiskey, and after last year's test, spiced rum might even be a bit better.

Not bad..

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2022, 06:59 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

WingerDingerI always thought this would be interesting to ask. Just always wondered how other members of the board celebrate, decorate and feast over the holiday season.

(Tree)

And if you've never seen Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, you're missing out!!Do you put up a tree or light a menorah?

Put up a tree on my end. Usually go with just white lights. Nothing too crazy or colorful. We have a two year old son so we have a little tree in his room. Same style. Wife's got a thing for Gnomes so we have some little gnomes under the tree and outside in the front yard I have some decent blow up's. 

Artificial but plan on doing a real one next year. For the same reasons. I am a man of the Earth. Any scent or color that's Earthy is always something I dig and delve into. I love that [BLEEP]. LOL. 

Both. For sure. I grew up in apartments my whole life and when I finally bought my own home I always wanted to put things out for showing. 

With my wife we try to get out of town. We live here in Jacksonville and she really got me into travelling. Something I rarely did as a child with my family. It's grown on me. I love the mountains man. The higher the elevation the better. We try to get a cabin now off and on towards the end of the year. 

All of the Christmas classics. Little drummer boy, charlie brown, frosty, grinch, etc. Try getting my son into them as much as I can. 

We always go to my Mom's and she mixes it up a lot. We always have staples though like deviled eggs and ham. This year we're adding on a big [BLEEP] pan of Lasagna and other things. I like making Buckeyes, Pralines and Banana Pudding. Usually rotate between Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

Always after New Year's. It's bad luck in our family to take it down before New Year's. 

Work. Not anymore. This little railroad lost it's sense of family and community after the last buyout but I always do something with family. Not very many friends on my end. I have two younger brothers. They've always been all I have needed for the most part. 

Man. Tough one. I love giving in general. I think anytime I give my parents anything they're always appreciative and get onto me about spending too much. Anything custom really. Like personalized blankets with family photos. Probably last year actually. Made my Mom cry. It was all of her boys over the years in images to keep her warm. 

It's the one holiday that always makes me reflect on my past. Makes me miss my Grandmother. My Grandfather. Makes me think on how short life really is and why it's important to try and mend old wounds and keep bridges strong. Seeing my mother and father now getting closer to 60 is scary but also it's life. I enjoy any little minute with them that I can manage to steal.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-09-2022, 06:58 PM)Caldrac Wrote: WingerDingerI always thought this would be interesting to ask. Just always wondered how other members of the board celebrate, decorate and feast over the holiday season.

(Tree)

And if you've never seen Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, you're missing out!!Do you put up a tree or light a menorah?

Put up a tree on my end. Usually go with just white lights. Nothing too crazy or colorful. We have a two year old son so we have a little tree in his room. Same style. Wife's got a thing for Gnomes so we have some little gnomes under the tree and outside in the front yard I have some decent blow up's. 

Artificial but plan on doing a real one next year. For the same reasons. I am a man of the Earth. Any scent or color that's Earthy is always something I dig and delve into. I love that [BLEEP]. LOL. 

Both. For sure. I grew up in apartments my whole life and when I finally bought my own home I always wanted to put things out for showing. 

With my wife we try to get out of town. We live here in Jacksonville and she really got me into travelling. Something I rarely did as a child with my family. It's grown on me. I love the mountains man. The higher the elevation the better. We try to get a cabin now off and on towards the end of the year. 

All of the Christmas classics. Little drummer boy, charlie brown, frosty, grinch, etc. Try getting my son into them as much as I can. 

We always go to my Mom's and she mixes it up a lot. We always have staples though like deviled eggs and ham. This year we're adding on a big [BLEEP] pan of Lasagna and other things. I like making Buckeyes, Pralines and Banana Pudding. Usually rotate between Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

Always after New Year's. It's bad luck in our family to take it down before New Year's. 

Work. Not anymore. This little railroad lost it's sense of family and community after the last buyout but I always do something with family. Not very many friends on my end. I have two younger brothers. They've always been all I have needed for the most part. 

Man. Tough one. I love giving in general. I think anytime I give my parents anything they're always appreciative and get onto me about spending too much. Anything custom really. Like personalized blankets with family photos. Probably last year actually. Made my Mom cry. It was all of her boys over the years in images to keep her warm. 

It's the one holiday that always makes me reflect on my past. Makes me miss my Grandmother. My Grandfather. Makes me think on how short life really is and why it's important to try and mend old wounds and keep bridges strong. Seeing my mother and father now getting closer to 60 is scary but also it's life. I enjoy any little minute with them that I can manage to steal.

Amen dude! Good stuff!

Lasagna for Christmas Dinner isn't as odd as ya think. We've had it a few times too.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2022, 08:11 PM by Jags. Edited 4 times in total.)

My parents are very hard to buy for.  They can afford anything they want.  So, I’d like to amend my “best gift given”.  Dad is retired LEO, and very proud of it.  Mom is… well, mom.  She wanted she (after me asking) told me she wanted a watch.  But nothing special and she knew that I knew her sense of style. 

Maybe this can help some out on gift ideas:

So that year, I had themed gifts for them.  Mom wanted a watch.  I went the “time” theme.  I bought her a nice watch.  Then I decided to very nice hourglass that could be displayed or used.  The final gift was a calendar.  For my dad, I went the “thin blue line” route. I honestly don’t remember all 3 to him, but I know he keeps his house at around 230 degrees F and has a blanket on him when is colder people come over.  I had a thin blue line blanket made, a  thin blue line hat and I can’t remember the third gift even after asking the Mrs.  But it i was along the lines.  Both appreciated the thought given as well as the gifts.  

So for those that are having trouble buying for the unbuyable, maybe a “themed” thing works.

Sometimes (mostly) it’s not the gift but the thought.  

Keep the season real. Merry Christmas peeps!

I always thought this would be interesting to ask. Just always wondered how other members of the board celebrate, decorate and feast over the holiday season.

(Tree)

Being just myself, and my wife we no longer put up a tree (or lights), but I thought about buying a tree that can be planted afterwards. I seen them for sale a couple days ago, but the price was a bit more than I wanted to pay.

Our last tree was artificial.

If we had grandchildren, I would do it up just for them.

Other than the usual large gathering of family at my SIL’s house to open presents, eat too much, and pass out from a food coma.

Nothing in particular, but it used to be some of the classics. Rudolph (cartoon), Charlie Brown, Original Scrooge, and a few you mentioned.

Always turkey, and ham … but I am intrigued by the roast beef. Idea, I may have to try that.

N/A

I’m retired, so no office party. Huge Christmas day gathering, at the SIL’s home. I guess it technically is my home, as I own it, but she lives there with a few other family members. Rent free, so I could call that a Christmas gift.

I gave my youngest son a Danial Defense DDM4 V7Pro last Christmas.

I will have to look that up.

^^ Welcome back!

(12-10-2022, 03:44 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: ^^ Welcome back!

Thank you, I even got my password correct on the first try.

(Tree) Ditto

Up until last year, always real. Got my first artificial one cuz I’m tired of praying my ornaments won’t all side down to the floor as the tree dies a quick and painful death before Christmas even gets here.

Inside I decorate like I’m doing windows at Bloomingdale’s in NYC. Outside I do lights, a wreath and my Santa Flamingo.  Smile

Nothing particularly unique 

Die Hard of course

Paella. Lots and lots of paella!

Usually the first weekend after New Year’s Day, definitely before Valentine’s Day. Laughing

Not really

I’ll have to think about this one some

(12-10-2022, 03:49 PM)Sammy Wrote:

Sammykins is back! It’s the miracle of Christmas!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(12-10-2022, 03:49 PM)Sammy Wrote:

Welcome back!  

And that is an amazing gift.  I actually just gifted myself a DDM4V7 Had it 2 days now!

Bchbunnie4

(12-10-2022, 03:49 PM)Sammy Wrote: Thank you Bunny, I may need to spend more time here.

All I need to do is practice on replying and quoting correctly.

(12-10-2022, 05:57 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-10-2022, 03:49 PM)Sammy Wrote: Thank you, I even got my password correct on the first try.

Welcome back!  

And that is an amazing gift.  I actually just gifted myself a DDM4V7 Had it 2 days now!

Congratulations, Jags on that gift, really high end AR.  I would be embarrassed to admit the gun I have purchased for him this year.

(12-10-2022, 07:23 PM)Sammy Wrote: Bchbunnie4

(12-10-2022, 03:49 PM)Sammy Wrote: Thank you Bunny, I may need to spend more time here.

All I need to do is practice on replying and quoting correctly.

(12-10-2022, 05:57 PM)Jags Wrote: Welcome back!  

Congratulations, Jags on that gift, really high end AR.  I would be embarrassed to admit the gun I have purchased for him this year.

Thanks.  You and him both seem like gun enthusiasts.  So I wouldn’t be embarrassed at all.  Something tells me he’ll love it.  I’ll enjoy my DD just as much as a  Rough Rider.

DD's and Rough Riders.. Makes me think of this porn I saw once..

(12-10-2022, 07:23 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(12-10-2022, 05:57 PM)Jags Wrote: Welcome back!  

There will be no NERF shaming on this board, sir.

Wait, you didn't buy one of those NERF knockoffs, did you?