Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Baalke is really going to earn his money next year.

I think there's very little chance that Baalke is fired this year.  Khan has shown incredible loyalty in the past; this is only Baalke's second year as GM; and the team has shown improvement.  You could question whether it is enough improvement given the resources, but Khan doesn't seem to think like that.

As for his performance, I would consider it a mixed bag with a lot of unknowns to be determined.  I hear people say that he drafted Lawrence, ETN and Campbell last year.  Lawrence was a no brainer.  I really think any GM would have done the same.  My niece could have made that pick.  As for ETN and Campbell, yes, they are good, but they were also top 33 overall draft selections.  You should expect those picks to be good.  What did Baalke do after that?  We got Cisco, but not much else.  Walker Little was taken in the top half of the second round and he still can't find a starting spot after two years.  Baalke's day 3 picks have been terrible with only one player from that draft currently on the active roster and he's our fourth string tight end who has played less than 10% of the offensive snaps.  

As for 2022, if someone was being unbiased and judging it based upon on the field performance up to this point, I don't think it would get a very good grade.  Walker was taken #1 overall.  Is he NFL rookie of the year?  Is he even in the conversation?  Many say he is a project, but no one forced the Jaguars to take a project.  We hope he will improve, but that's still an unknown at this point.  LLoyd after starting strong has gotten benched.  Fortner is starting, but how good has he really been?  Muma is a nice pick in isolation but becomes questionable after having signed Oluokun to a big contract in free agency and drafting Lloyd in the first round.  What's the plan?  Baalke spent major resources on 3 players for only 2 starting positions.  Do the math.  As for day 3, it again, has netted us very little production up to this point.  One draft pick couldn't make the 53 man roster and another has only been on the field for 16 regular season snaps.  The other was a game day inactive until injuries occurred.  That being said, these players haven't even completed their rookie season.  How fair is it to judge them?  Their fate is still to be determined.  

As for free agency, we literally set an NFL record for spending this off-season.  You should expect some results out of that.  I won't go through the free agents one by one, but I would also consider them to be a mixed bag.  Some have been good, but we also spent a ton of money on a defense that still isn't very good. 

I didn't support hiring Baalke as I didn't think he was the best qualified and thought we should have gone with a fresh start after the Urban Meyer fiasco.  However, the decision has been made and we just have to hope for the best.  Time will tell.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Baalke is really going to earn his money next year. - by TheDuke007 - 12-16-2022, 10:11 PM