Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pick No 61. Brenton Strange TE , PennState

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2023, 08:28 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 4 times in total.)

Someone mentioned Baalke saying he didn't want to leave a paper trail on Strange in the draft day thread which caused me to go find the video of him saying as much which I've posted below.  Such a comment is akin to saying "we were in love with the prospect and couldn't bear the thought of walking away from the draft without him."  I appreciate the transparency of draft strategy.  However, it also invites valid criticism if the pick turns out to be meh or a bust.  In short, if you're in love with a prospect, you'd better be right.  

This is not me second guessing the pick.  I don't know if he will work out or not, but I'm rooting for each and every Jaguars pick's success though I know most of them will likely not be here in short order.  I just find that many people around here and many sports fans in general sometimes create potential narratives in their head with very little actual information and then convince themselves (and then try to convince others) it's the god's honest truth.  Knock yourself out if that's your bag.  This, however, is an instance of Baalke providing actual information on what they were thinking prior to selecting him.  No narrative need be created.

Ultimately, if Baalke's days here come to an end at some point, this pick potentially failing probably won't be the sole reason, but so much regarding the draft is generally either unspoken, left up to interpretation or even outright intentionally misleading at times, it's nice to have some moments of clarity and nuggets of truth from time to time. If this pick doesn't pan out though, he'll deserve every bit of the criticism for it.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8kiqs7

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pick No 61. Brenton Strange TE , PennState - by Jaguarmeister - 05-01-2023, 08:09 PM