Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cancel culture at it again, Queen's Fat Bottom Girls.......

(08-24-2023, 12:32 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(08-24-2023, 12:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Frequent use of the same P-word and similar references. yes - basically the 1990 version of WAP and controversial at the time. 

The book removal is about much more than adult themed content  - and music rated for "adults" has been part of our landscape for a long, long time. decades.  There hasn't been a shift there. 

The book thing substantiates a shift.

You're right to compare WAP to 2 Live Crew.  Neither was on the radio, neither was played at school events, neither was ever meant for kids.   The one difference is WAP is sung by women, and there's a certain breed of misogynist that will laugh when men talk about sex but get all concerned and disgusted when women return the favor.  I suspect more than one of the people bringing up WAP are exactly that type of misogynist, though they don't realize it.

But I think you're blind to the issue about books.  When we were kids there was simply no such thing as a library book that was accessible to kids that had queer characters in it.  When I was a kid these were just starting to be published, and no library in Jax had them, school or public.  But as of a couple of years ago, there were all sorts of books with queer characters that were meant for kids.  Princes in shining armor that fight dragons and also want to kiss other boys. I have kids.  We go to the library.  These are facts. It's all mixed in with all the normal books.  It's been creeping in for years, and no one spoke up. It needs to be separated out into its own section.  And the publishers and libraries have refused. They won't work with parents on this.  So instead of segregation you get banning.  Sad, but understandable.

I'm not blind to it at all. I think that queer content is only the tip of the iceberg with the censorship DeSantis and his ilk wish to impose on our children's education. That isn't the issue, just a facet of it.

Messages In This Thread
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 08-24-2023, 09:50 AM
RE: homebiscuit - by NYC4jags - 08-24-2023, 10:02 AM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 08-24-2023, 11:18 AM
RE: homebiscuit - by NYC4jags - 08-24-2023, 11:32 AM
RE: homebiscuit - by flsprtsgod - 08-24-2023, 11:35 AM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 08-24-2023, 11:50 AM
RE: homebiscuit - by NYC4jags - 08-24-2023, 12:10 PM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 08-24-2023, 12:28 PM
RE: homebiscuit - by mikesez - 08-24-2023, 12:32 PM
RE: homebiscuit - by NYC4jags - 08-24-2023, 01:31 PM