Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The defense has fallen off a cliff

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2023, 01:20 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-14-2023, 11:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-14-2023, 10:53 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The biggest issue is Injuries.  Before Cambell got injured he was a top 10 corner in the league and you can put him on a island with most WRs in this league.  Herndon out has also hurt this team, he was having a career year and one important job for a nickle corner is run defense and that is something Herndon is very good at.  It has taken a big hit since we lost Herndon.  The Hamilton injury has also been a big blow to this D.  If we can get all these guys back healthy for the playoffs I think our D can much improve.  Fatukasi play has also dropped.  Need him healthy as well.  Agnew back will also be huge for our ST

Bad tackling has been a plague in recent weeks all over the back seven, not just the nickel spot

FTR - the missed tackles vs the Browns by Jags backup secondary players are as follows:
Greg Junior - 2
Montaric Brown - 3
Antonio Johnson - 0

Something I forgot to mention in the post I made yesterday is that at least 3 of the explosive plays allowed in the past two weeks have come from sending the blitz and getting beaten before the pressure arrived. (may be as many as 5 big plays, but I haven't fully researched it) 

I expect the game plan against Balt/Lamar to be about containment more than pressure, so we may see a shift in that.  

We also may see Caldwell rethink how and when he's dialing up these blitzes moving forward so that doesn't get exploited from what we've put on tape. 

I noticed the DBs giving away their blitz early and the opposing QB adjusting at least 3 times since the niners game. 
That strategy needs a new wrinkle to keep them guessing. 

I know they fake this DB blitz at times and drop into coverage - but if the QB changes protection or calls a hot route - we can't allow free running receivers anymore. Not sure what is coached in those situations when the offense is seen obviously adjusting to the threat - but it may need a change.

Yes, I didn't say bad tackling has been just by the nicklle.    Brown is also a backup coming in because of injury.  Injuries had been a huge part of our poor play on offense and defense.  We have to get some of these guys back or we don't stand a chance in the playoffs if we make it there

Messages In This Thread
The defense has fallen off a cliff - by OG-JAGFAN - 12-11-2023, 12:31 PM
RE: The defense has fallen off a cliff - by flgatorsandjags - 12-14-2023, 01:19 PM
RE: The defense has fallen off a cliff - by Mikey - 12-15-2023, 09:39 AM
RE: The defense has fallen off a cliff - by Jag88 - 12-24-2023, 04:21 PM
RE: The defense has fallen off a cliff - by Eric1 - 12-24-2023, 08:30 PM