Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Valentine's Day Draft favorites

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2024, 09:22 PM by jaglou53.)

(02-17-2024, 04:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 04:14 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Good point about Barton. It is possible he could drop to the Jags in round 2. I don't have anything against Van Pran, but he is more of the athletic, zone blocker type and some say he may lack the necessary strength to take on the best nose tackles. I do like his experience and he seems to have a high football IQ which would enable him to start quickly. Of course, Fortner also has the high mental acumen and we know how that worked out!

We run a zone blocking scheme.  What makes you think he lacks the strength to take on some of the top NT's?  Something you have seen watching Georgia games?  I dont recall him getting pushed around.

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/statu...9852104150

Just a LB'er here but its something i have never seen from Fortner regardless of who he is blocking.  Cant think of one time i actually seen Fortner block someone into the dirt

https://twitter.com/OfficialJAYCHI/statu...3518518306
Maybe I was being a little too critical. His core strength has been mentioned as a weakness along with short arms and occasional balance issues. Can't say I've seen this in the Georgia games I've watched, however. I just prefer JPJ, Barton and Frazier.

(02-17-2024, 08:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 12:50 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: That defensive line would be amazing for sure. They would likely need to trade up in the 2nd to get Sweat, as you said. Another option with Newton in round 1 is to take McKinley Jackson in round 3 to be the nose tackle. Although he lacks the overall athleticism and size of Sweat, he was very effective as both a run stuffer and penetrator who often needed to be double-teamed. This would enable Newton, Allen and Walker to thrive in the 4-3 scheme you describe. In this scenario, they could either take an offensive lineman or receiver in round 2, depending on what they do in free agency with Ridley, Robinson, Scherff, etc. Both those positions are deep and an immediate upgrade can be found at both. Zach Frazier and Christian Haynes may be a notch below JPJ, but both have the necessary traits to be solid centers in the NFL. Kiran Amegadgie would be risky, but he fits the Baalke profile with his size and injury. Some project him as moving to the inside. The potential receivers the Jaguars could find in round 2 include Xavier Worthy, Adonai Mitchell, Ladd McConkey, Roman Wilson and Troy Franklin. Franklin, Worthy and Wilson would add the true "speed" receiver the team lacks, while McConkey always finds a way to get open combined with reliable hands and good speed. Mitchell is slightly different in that his speed is average, but he has great size combined with superior route-running. Any of these receivers would be more than adequate replacements for either Zay Jones or even Ridley. 

Newton has slipped slightly in recent mock drafts likely due to his size ( less than 300 pounds ). The more I look at his film and statistics, the thought of him in teal is enticing- especially when lined up next to someone like Sweat or Jackson. Hopefully the Jaguars will acquire at least one guard in free agency ( preferably Hunt, Lewis or Dotson) as a replacement for Scherff and another to compete at the other guard spot or center. This would enable them to possibly " steal " Newton with the 17th pick.

Christian Haynes is not a center, he took all 800+ college snaps at right guard.

(02-17-2024, 07:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: A good thing is this is one of the worst off the ball LB and RB classes I have seen.  I think Payton Wilson is a stud but overall a very weak class in both positions.  Outside of Bowers a very weak TE class as well imo, Sanders is meh to me.  Not a fan of the safety class as well.    The deepest positons are QB, WR, and OL.

That's why Baalke has to get Trotter, Jr. in the 1st, there's not much after him to scratch Baalke's itch.
I stand corrected on Haynes. Not sure why I thought he was a center.

Messages In This Thread
Valentine's Day Draft favorites - by jaglou53 - 02-14-2024, 09:00 PM
RE: Valentine's Day Draft favorites - by Caldrac - 02-16-2024, 03:34 PM
RE: Valentine's Day Draft favorites - by jaglou53 - 02-17-2024, 12:50 PM
RE: Valentine's Day Draft favorites - by jaglou53 - 02-17-2024, 04:14 PM
RE: Valentine's Day Draft favorites - by jaglou53 - 02-17-2024, 09:20 PM
RE: Valentine's Day Draft favorites - by jaglou53 - 02-18-2024, 03:09 PM