Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Valentine's Day Draft favorites

In honor of Valentine's Day, name 3 players you'd LOVE to see the Jaguars take in each of the first 3 rounds. Must have at least a slight chance of being available.

Round 1:

1. JPJ: He's deserving of the hype.

2. Taliese Fuaga: Mauler at guard or tackle.

3.Olu Fashanu: Initially a consensus top 5 pick, but has dropped. Would be hard to pass on at 17. 

Round 2:

1. Ladd McConkey: Love this kid and the comparisons to Puka Nakua.

2. Troy Franklin: Another excellent receiver to possibly replace either Zay or Ridley.

3. T'Vondre Sweat: Probably top pick of these 3 due to combination of athleticism and mammoth size.

Round 3:

1. Ricky Pearsall

2. Kiran Amegadjie: Injury may cause him to drop here.

3. Christian Haynes: In case they don't get JPJ.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2024, 09:30 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

Jonah Elliss is a guy id like to add in the 2nd or 3rd. I think he would give us that guy we are missing behind Allen and Walker

JPJ - Rd 1
2- Byron Murphy

3- Layden Robinson

(02-16-2024, 02:12 AM)StrayaJag Wrote: JPJ - Rd 1
2- Byron Murphy

3- Layden Robinson

That's really high for Robinson. PFF has him at 232 overall and the 8th rated guard. He'll likely be there on day 3. If we're going guard in the 3rd it's more likely a Beebe, Zinter, or Mahogany. I like JPJ, but I need to see the combine/pro day stuff so we can differentiate him from the others in this class. If we're taking a C in the 1st he needs to be an Alex Mack-level player IMO, otherwise spend that 1st on a tackle, WR, or CB. I like taking guards and centers closer to the numbers they wear.

My loves (for now) are:

1st - Oline: JPJ, Latham, Fuaga. WR: Thomas, Jr., Franklin. CB: Higgins, McKinstrey
2nd - Oline: Haynes, Frazier, Guyton, Fautanu. Wr: Legette, Mitchell, Walker. DI: Jenkins, Sweat, Fiske
3rd - Oline: Beebe, Van Pran, Goncalves. DB: Green, Brownlee, Tykee Smith DLine: McKinley, Wingo, Kneeland

Ideally JPJ is him and we take him, so:

1 - JPJ - C
2 - Haynes - G
3 - McKinley Jackson - DT

I know it won't go this way, but I'd rather take DB and WR in 4 through 6 and spend the early capital on big, strong bodies to win the line.

Just for fun, I like:

4 - Jaden Hicks - S
5 - Khyree Jackson - CB
6 - Sam Hartman - QB
7 - Evan Anderson - DT

We have more picks than that, but these 7 are what I'd like to bring in for next year.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2024, 03:42 PM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

1st RD: Jackson Powers-Johnson, Jer'Zhan Newton or Brian Thomas Jr.
2nd RD: Graham Barton, Xavier Worthy or T'Vondre Sweat.
3rd RD: Braden Fiske, Gabriel Murphy or Khyree Jackson.
4th RD: Javion Cohen or Malachi Corley.
5th RD: Mohamed Kamara or Gabe Hall.
6th RD: Javon Solomon or Hayden Hatten.
7th RD: Anthony Gould or Sam Hartman.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2024, 09:54 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

In the 1st for me. My top 3 guys i think could be there are

Fuaga, JPJ, or Newton.

Id love Latu if he checks out medically but if he does I think he will go top 10. Any of those 3 is the beginning of changing the trenches along with a top 10 player in this draft. Fuaga is my 2nd favorite tackle in this draft behind Alt and I think could be a dominant RG if we wanted to put him there or just plug him in at RT. JPJ I think will be a All Pro at center and a top 5 within a couple years and I also think Newton has All Pro potential at 3 tech in a 4-3. If we could add a couple pieces to the oline in FA and we take Newton at 17 id look to trade up for Sweat at the top of the 2nd if he falls to the 2nd.

Allen- Sweat- Newton - Walker I think would be the best dline in the league within 2 years and would change this defense dramatically. This would fix our run D and our interior pass rush. To go that route you would just have to make sure you fix the oline in FA to protect Trevor . This is one of the deepest interior olines in the draft in recent memory though so fixing the interior oline in the draft id be good with as well.

One of the best things about this draft is it lines up great with our biggest needs. If Doug and Baalke aren't idiots they could fix at minimum 2 positions with the first 2 picks. They could of easily done that last year as well though so we shall see.

(02-17-2024, 09:49 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: In the 1st for me.  My top 3 guys i think could be there are

Fuaga, JPJ, or Newton. 

Id love Latu if he checks out medically but if he does I think he will go top 10.  Any of those 3 is the beginning of changing the trenches along with a top 10 player in this draft.  Fuaga is my 2nd favorite tackle in this draft behind Alt and I think could be a dominant RG if we wanted to put him there or just plug him in at RT.  JPJ I think will be a All Pro at center and a top 5 within a couple years and I also think Newton has All Pro potential at 3 tech in a 4-3.  If we could add a couple pieces to the oline in FA and we take Newton at 17 id look to trade up for Sweat at the top of the 2nd if he falls to the 2nd. 

Allen- Sweat- Newton - Walker    I think would be the best dline in the league within 2 years and would change this defense dramatically.  This would fix our run D and our interior pass rush.  To go that route you would just have to make sure you fix the oline in FA to protect Trevor .  This is  one of the deepest interior olines in the draft in recent memory though so fixing the interior oline in the draft id be good with as well.

One of the best things about this draft is it lines up great with our biggest needs.  If Doug and Baalke aren't idiots they could fix at minimum 2 positions with the first 2 picks.  They could of easily done that last year as well though so we shall see.
That defensive line would be amazing for sure. They would likely need to trade up in the 2nd to get Sweat, as you said. Another option with Newton in round 1 is to take McKinley Jackson in round 3 to be the nose tackle. Although he lacks the overall athleticism and size of Sweat, he was very effective as both a run stuffer and penetrator who often needed to be double-teamed. This would enable Newton, Allen and Walker to thrive in the 4-3 scheme you describe. In this scenario, they could either take an offensive lineman or receiver in round 2, depending on what they do in free agency with Ridley, Robinson, Scherff, etc. Both those positions are deep and an immediate upgrade can be found at both. Zach Frazier and Christian Haynes may be a notch below JPJ, but both have the necessary traits to be solid centers in the NFL. Kiran Amegadgie would be risky, but he fits the Baalke profile with his size and injury. Some project him as moving to the inside. The potential receivers the Jaguars could find in round 2 include Xavier Worthy, Adonai Mitchell, Ladd McConkey, Roman Wilson and Troy Franklin. Franklin, Worthy and Wilson would add the true "speed" receiver the team lacks, while McConkey always finds a way to get open combined with reliable hands and good speed. Mitchell is slightly different in that his speed is average, but he has great size combined with superior route-running. Any of these receivers would be more than adequate replacements for either Zay Jones or even Ridley. 

Newton has slipped slightly in recent mock drafts likely due to his size ( less than 300 pounds ). The more I look at his film and statistics, the thought of him in teal is enticing- especially when lined up next to someone like Sweat or Jackson. Hopefully the Jaguars will acquire at least one guard in free agency ( preferably Hunt, Lewis or Dotson) as a replacement for Scherff and another to compete at the other guard spot or center. This would enable them to possibly " steal " Newton with the 17th pick.

(02-17-2024, 12:50 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 09:49 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: In the 1st for me.  My top 3 guys i think could be there are

Fuaga, JPJ, or Newton. 

Id love Latu if he checks out medically but if he does I think he will go top 10.  Any of those 3 is the beginning of changing the trenches along with a top 10 player in this draft.  Fuaga is my 2nd favorite tackle in this draft behind Alt and I think could be a dominant RG if we wanted to put him there or just plug him in at RT.  JPJ I think will be a All Pro at center and a top 5 within a couple years and I also think Newton has All Pro potential at 3 tech in a 4-3.  If we could add a couple pieces to the oline in FA and we take Newton at 17 id look to trade up for Sweat at the top of the 2nd if he falls to the 2nd. 

Allen- Sweat- Newton - Walker    I think would be the best dline in the league within 2 years and would change this defense dramatically.  This would fix our run D and our interior pass rush.  To go that route you would just have to make sure you fix the oline in FA to protect Trevor .  This is  one of the deepest interior olines in the draft in recent memory though so fixing the interior oline in the draft id be good with as well.

One of the best things about this draft is it lines up great with our biggest needs.  If Doug and Baalke aren't idiots they could fix at minimum 2 positions with the first 2 picks.  They could of easily done that last year as well though so we shall see.
That defensive line would be amazing for sure. They would likely need to trade up in the 2nd to get Sweat, as you said. Another option with Newton in round 1 is to take McKinley Jackson in round 3 to be the nose tackle. Although he lacks the overall athleticism and size of Sweat, he was very effective as both a run stuffer and penetrator who often needed to be double-teamed. This would enable Newton, Allen and Walker to thrive in the 4-3 scheme you describe. In this scenario, they could either take an offensive lineman or receiver in round 2, depending on what they do in free agency with Ridley, Robinson, Scherff, etc. Both those positions are deep and an immediate upgrade can be found at both. Zach Frazier and Christian Haynes may be a notch below JPJ, but both have the necessary traits to be solid centers in the NFL. Kiran Amegadgie would be risky, but he fits the Baalke profile with his size and injury. Some project him as moving to the inside. The potential receivers the Jaguars could find in round 2 include Xavier Worthy, Adonai Mitchell, Ladd McConkey, Roman Wilson and Troy Franklin. Franklin, Worthy and Wilson would add the true "speed" receiver the team lacks, while McConkey always finds a way to get open combined with reliable hands and good speed. Mitchell is slightly different in that his speed is average, but he has great size combined with superior route-running. Any of these receivers would be more than adequate replacements for either Zay Jones or even Ridley. 

Newton has slipped slightly in recent mock drafts likely due to his size ( less than 300 pounds ). The more I look at his film and statistics, the thought of him in teal is enticing- especially when lined up next to someone like Sweat or Jackson. Hopefully the Jaguars will acquire at least one guard in free agency ( preferably Hunt, Lewis or Dotson) as a replacement for Scherff and another to compete at the other guard spot or center. This would enable them to possibly " steal " Newton with the 17th pick.

As far as center, Graham Barton I feel could be a really good center as well, played it in college and at the Senior Bowl, also played LT this past year and I think he could play guard.  Barton could possibly be there with our 2nd round pick.  I think Van Pran is underrated in mocks who could go in the 2nd, 3 year starter in the SEC at center and played at a high level.  One of the best center classes I remember.  There is a number of guards I really like as well that could be an upgrade day 1

(02-17-2024, 01:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 12:50 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: That defensive line would be amazing for sure. They would likely need to trade up in the 2nd to get Sweat, as you said. Another option with Newton in round 1 is to take McKinley Jackson in round 3 to be the nose tackle. Although he lacks the overall athleticism and size of Sweat, he was very effective as both a run stuffer and penetrator who often needed to be double-teamed. This would enable Newton, Allen and Walker to thrive in the 4-3 scheme you describe. In this scenario, they could either take an offensive lineman or receiver in round 2, depending on what they do in free agency with Ridley, Robinson, Scherff, etc. Both those positions are deep and an immediate upgrade can be found at both. Zach Frazier and Christian Haynes may be a notch below JPJ, but both have the necessary traits to be solid centers in the NFL. Kiran Amegadgie would be risky, but he fits the Baalke profile with his size and injury. Some project him as moving to the inside. The potential receivers the Jaguars could find in round 2 include Xavier Worthy, Adonai Mitchell, Ladd McConkey, Roman Wilson and Troy Franklin. Franklin, Worthy and Wilson would add the true "speed" receiver the team lacks, while McConkey always finds a way to get open combined with reliable hands and good speed. Mitchell is slightly different in that his speed is average, but he has great size combined with superior route-running. Any of these receivers would be more than adequate replacements for either Zay Jones or even Ridley. 

As far as center, Graham Barton I feel could be a really good center as well, played it in college and at the Senior Bowl, also played LT this past year and I think he could play guard.  Barton could possibly be there with our 2nd round pick.  I think Van Pran is underrated in mocks who could go in the 2nd, 3 year starter in the SEC at center and played at a high level.  One of the best center classes I remember.  There is a number of guards I really like as well that could be an upgrade day 1
Good point about Barton. It is possible he could drop to the Jags in round 2. I don't have anything against Van Pran, but he is more of the athletic, zone blocker type and some say he may lack the necessary strength to take on the best nose tackles. I do like his experience and he seems to have a high football IQ which would enable him to start quickly. Of course, Fortner also has the high mental acumen and we know how that worked out!

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2024, 04:44 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-17-2024, 04:14 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 01:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: As far as center, Graham Barton I feel could be a really good center as well, played it in college and at the Senior Bowl, also played LT this past year and I think he could play guard.  Barton could possibly be there with our 2nd round pick.  I think Van Pran is underrated in mocks who could go in the 2nd, 3 year starter in the SEC at center and played at a high level.  One of the best center classes I remember.  There is a number of guards I really like as well that could be an upgrade day 1
Good point about Barton. It is possible he could drop to the Jags in round 2. I don't have anything against Van Pran, but he is more of the athletic, zone blocker type and some say he may lack the necessary strength to take on the best nose tackles. I do like his experience and he seems to have a high football IQ which would enable him to start quickly. Of course, Fortner also has the high mental acumen and we know how that worked out!

We run a zone blocking scheme.  What makes you think he lacks the strength to take on some of the top NT's?  Something you have seen watching Georgia games?  I dont recall him getting pushed around.

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/statu...9852104150

Just a LB'er here but its something i have never seen from Fortner regardless of who he is blocking. Cant think of one time i actually seen Fortner block someone into the dirt

https://twitter.com/OfficialJAYCHI/statu...3518518306

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2024, 04:37 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 3 times in total.)

Length i think will be the biggest question mark with Van Pran, i never thought strength was a issue. Could be wrong but i guess we will see how he does at the combine

https://twitter.com/colecubelic/status/1...-report%2F

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2024, 05:57 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

Malik Washington is the WR id like to add in the 3rd or 4th. I dont care if hes 5'8, gonna be one of the steals of the draft. Corley and Pearsall are the other 2 WR's I really want

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2024, 07:28 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 4 times in total.)

A good thing is this is one of the worst off the ball LB and RB classes I have seen. I think Payton Wilson is a stud but overall a very weak class in both positions. Outside of Bowers a very weak TE class as well imo, Sanders is meh to me. Not a fan of the safety class as well. The deepest positons are QB, WR, and OL.

(02-17-2024, 12:50 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:

Fuaga, JPJ, or Newton. 

Christian Haynes is not a center, he took all 800+ college snaps at right guard.

(02-17-2024, 07:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: A good thing is this is one of the worst off the ball LB and RB classes I have seen.  I think Payton Wilson is a stud but overall a very weak class in both positions.  Outside of Bowers a very weak TE class as well imo, Sanders is meh to me.  Not a fan of the safety class as well.    The deepest positons are QB, WR, and OL.

That's why Baalke has to get Trotter, Jr. in the 1st, there's not much after him to scratch Baalke's itch.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Must be a interesting time to be a bears fan with the big question around fields atm and teams like patriots , falcons & commandera in need of a qb they can pull of some intresting trades

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2024, 09:22 PM by jaglou53.)

(02-17-2024, 04:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 04:14 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Good point about Barton. It is possible he could drop to the Jags in round 2. I don't have anything against Van Pran, but he is more of the athletic, zone blocker type and some say he may lack the necessary strength to take on the best nose tackles. I do like his experience and he seems to have a high football IQ which would enable him to start quickly. Of course, Fortner also has the high mental acumen and we know how that worked out!

We run a zone blocking scheme.  What makes you think he lacks the strength to take on some of the top NT's?  Something you have seen watching Georgia games?  I dont recall him getting pushed around.

Just a LB'er here but its something i have never seen from Fortner regardless of who he is blocking.  Cant think of one time i actually seen Fortner block someone into the dirt

Maybe I was being a little too critical. His core strength has been mentioned as a weakness along with short arms and occasional balance issues. Can't say I've seen this in the Georgia games I've watched, however. I just prefer JPJ, Barton and Frazier.

(02-17-2024, 08:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 12:50 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: That defensive line would be amazing for sure. They would likely need to trade up in the 2nd to get Sweat, as you said. Another option with Newton in round 1 is to take McKinley Jackson in round 3 to be the nose tackle. Although he lacks the overall athleticism and size of Sweat, he was very effective as both a run stuffer and penetrator who often needed to be double-teamed. This would enable Newton, Allen and Walker to thrive in the 4-3 scheme you describe. In this scenario, they could either take an offensive lineman or receiver in round 2, depending on what they do in free agency with Ridley, Robinson, Scherff, etc. Both those positions are deep and an immediate upgrade can be found at both. Zach Frazier and Christian Haynes may be a notch below JPJ, but both have the necessary traits to be solid centers in the NFL. Kiran Amegadgie would be risky, but he fits the Baalke profile with his size and injury. Some project him as moving to the inside. The potential receivers the Jaguars could find in round 2 include Xavier Worthy, Adonai Mitchell, Ladd McConkey, Roman Wilson and Troy Franklin. Franklin, Worthy and Wilson would add the true "speed" receiver the team lacks, while McConkey always finds a way to get open combined with reliable hands and good speed. Mitchell is slightly different in that his speed is average, but he has great size combined with superior route-running. Any of these receivers would be more than adequate replacements for either Zay Jones or even Ridley. 

Christian Haynes is not a center, he took all 800+ college snaps at right guard.

(02-17-2024, 07:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: A good thing is this is one of the worst off the ball LB and RB classes I have seen.  I think Payton Wilson is a stud but overall a very weak class in both positions.  Outside of Bowers a very weak TE class as well imo, Sanders is meh to me.  Not a fan of the safety class as well.    The deepest positons are QB, WR, and OL.

That's why Baalke has to get Trotter, Jr. in the 1st, there's not much after him to scratch Baalke's itch.
I stand corrected on Haynes. Not sure why I thought he was a center.

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2024, 09:26 PM by Cleatwood.)

(02-17-2024, 08:30 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: Must be a interesting time to be a bears fan with the big question around fields atm and teams like patriots , falcons & commandera in need of a qb they can pull of some intresting trades
Bears will likely trade Fields for a 2nd rounder and then some. Maaaaaybe a 1st.

Then start with Caleb Williams and a stud WR or tackle at pick 9.

Then replenish the rest of the roster with all their other picks. If they can hit on this draft (especially Williams), they’re set up nicely to compete with Detroit and GB in 2025.

(02-17-2024, 08:30 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: Must be a interesting time to be a bears fan with the big question around fields atm and teams like patriots , falcons & commandera in need of a qb they can pull of some intresting trades
Bears will likely trade Fields for a 2nd rounder and then some. Maaaaaybe a 1st.

Then start with Caleb Williams and a stud WR or tackle at pick 9.

Then replenish the rest of the roster with all their other picks. If they can hit on this draft (especially Williams), they’re set up nicely to compete with Detroit and GB in 2025.

(02-17-2024, 09:20 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 04:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We run a zone blocking scheme.  What makes you think he lacks the strength to take on some of the top NT's?  Something you have seen watching Georgia games?  I dont recall him getting pushed around.

Just a LB'er here but its something i have never seen from Fortner regardless of who he is blocking.  Cant think of one time i actually seen Fortner block someone into the dirt

Maybe I was being a little too critical. His core strength has been mentioned as a weakness along with short arms and occasional balance issues. Can't say I've seen this in the Georgia games I've watched, however. I just prefer JPJ, Barton and Frazier.

(02-17-2024, 08:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Christian Haynes is not a center, he took all 800+ college snaps at right guard.

He played some center at the Senior Bowl but he has been a guard at Guard at UConn.  That's probably where you got Haynes at center

(02-17-2024, 11:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 09:20 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Maybe I was being a little too critical. His core strength has been mentioned as a weakness along with short arms and occasional balance issues. Can't say I've seen this in the Georgia games I've watched, however. I just prefer JPJ, Barton and Frazier.

He played some center at the Senior Bowl but he has been a guard at Guard at UConn.  That's probably where you got Haynes at center

You saw him take snaps at center? Have a link?