Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
UPS Fires 250 Workers For Participating In Protest

Quote:Out of curiosity. Do you feel the employees in this case were justifiably terminated. I would have to assume that UPS must feel they could do it without any wrongful termination repercussions.

Probably so. Without know particulars, it's hard to say. I'm guessing the guy fired was popular, perhaps a thorn in the company's side and they witch hunted him and finally fired him, possibly on questionable reasons...which would tick off the rest.

What makes me curious, is that so many walked out. In most cases, if an employee is a sorry worker type, trouble maker for petty reasons, he wouldn't get that support.

If the company did this under some violation of their collective bargaining contract, perhaps a different rule concerning a job steward, which this guy was apparently, then the issue gets cloudy.

The company and that particular local union have had contentious relations in the past, but as a whole, UPS and the Teamsters have a good working relationship. In many cases they learned to synergize.

You can bet the phones are buzzing between Atlanta and DC.

The 250 fired drivers will have access to the grievance procedure, and depending how hard the company digs its heels in, can be worked out.

This could also be a shot across the bow at the local union... I don't know how their relationship is. But could lead to wider spread animosity. Not good for either side.
Blakes Life Matters

Messages In This Thread
UPS Fires 250 Workers For Participating In Protest - by Ringo - 04-07-2014, 10:23 AM
UPS Fires 250 Workers For Participating In Protest - by Guest - 04-09-2014, 10:46 AM