Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
UPS Fires 250 Workers For Participating In Protest

UPS Fires 250 Workers For Participating In Protest

<p class="">UPS reportedly fired 250 of its New York drivers after the workers participated in a protest against the dismissal of a long-time employee. 

<p class="">The protest, which took place on Feb. 26, found all of the Queens-based employees leaving their shifts for 90 minutes. Workers protested the firing of Jairo Reyes, 24, an employee and union activist.

<p class=""> 

<p class="">http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/u...ng-protest

You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:UPS Fires 250 Workers For Participating In Protest

UPS reportedly fired 250 of its New York drivers after the workers participated in a protest against the dismissal of a long-time employee. 

The protest, which took place on Feb. 26, found all of the Queens-based employees leaving their shifts for 90 minutes. Workers protested the firing of Jairo Reyes, 24, an employee and union activist.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/u...ng-protest

That'll learn 'em.

You can't leave work in the middle of your shift and then expect nothing to happen because of it.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:You can't leave work in the middle of your shift and then expect nothing to happen because of it.

Job abandonment at it's finest..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Cool, job openings!

Quote:Cool, job openings!

There ya go!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Bunch of guys stuck up for their co worker. I respect it.

Something many wouldn't do.

As far as job openings, it won't affect you TMD...it's hard work. You wouldn't be able to hack it.
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Bunch of guys stuck up for their co worker. I respect it.

As far as job openings, it won't affect you TMD...it's hard work. You wouldn't be able to hack it.

I think many respect what they did, but I'd imagine they were probably given warnings about it or at least during it about missing work. 

I'm not a union supporter, so it doesnt make me too sad.

Unions = the death of American industry.

They could have easily protested during non working hours.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

I think the workers have the right to do whatever they feel is necessary. I also feel like UPS, or any given company has the right to do what they want to do as well.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2014, 09:30 AM by TravC59.)

Quote:Unions = the death of American industry.

They could have easily protested during non working hours.
Agree for the most part. They can have their advantages, but most go way above and beyond.

;

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2014, 09:41 AM by Jagwired.)

Quote:Agree for the most part. They can have their advantages, but most go way above and beyond.
Unions are entities which were started with good intentions. Unfortunately we know what road those pave. In today's times unions generally serve to demand things for their members that far exceed what many would be willing to do without to have the same job. That kills jobs and in return hurts their own members.

Quote:Unions are entities which were started with good intentions. Unfortunately we know what road those pave. In today's times unions generally serve to demand things for their members that far exceed what many would be willing to do without to have the same job. That kills jobs and in return hurts their own members.
Agree 100%. When run correctly it benefits both the company and the workers.

;

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2014, 09:59 AM by Ringo.)

How many have worked in the unionized work place, management or worker? I'm betting very few.

With all problems that may be associated with Unions, they are the only voice a working man has......Bruce Springsteen.

Govt Union? That's a different animal.

In this case, the Union, so many dislike, negotiated with the city of NY , along with the company, to not ticket their trucks for parking in areas of the city. Saving around 16 million a year in tickets.

One driver, who was hit by a car while delivering a package, was out for many months , and went through rigorous rehabilitation, just came back to work. Did not know what was going on, but was fired anyway...because he couldn't go on his route.

There's more to the eye than these evil unions. If companies treated employees fairly, paid them a fair days wage for a fair days work, Unions would be less.

In most cases , employees reach out to a local union .. The unions don't just blindly try to organize anyone. The employees come to them, and the process begins.

Anyway, I'm in the minority here, so ill leave it at that. Some believe in workers bonding, others, if it doesn't concern them personally, don't care.
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:I think many respect what they did, but I'd imagine they were probably given warnings about it or at least during it about missing work. 

I'm not a union supporter, so it doesnt make me too sad.

If they weren't Union, then you'd be more sympathetic. Gotcha.
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:How many have worked in the unionized work place, management or worker? I'm betting very few.

With all problems that may be associated with Unions, they are the only voice a working man has......Bruce Springsteen.

Govt Union? That's a different animal.
I agree, in many cases unions can be the only voice. That isn't the problem.

;

Quote:I agree, in many cases unions can be the only voice. That isn't the problem.

From my understanding.. This walkout wasn't sanctioned by the Union. Unless it was an unfair labor practice, it would be an illegal strike.

For so many to walk out in protest, tells me that there are some deep underlying issues. That, or maybe the New Yorkers stick together more than certain others. Maybe both.
Blakes Life Matters

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2014, 10:13 AM by Jagwired.)

Quote:From my understanding.. This walkout wasn't sanctioned by the Union. Unless it was an unfair labor practice, it would be an illegal strike.

For so many to walk out in protest, tells me that there are some deep underlying issues. That, or maybe the New Yorkers stick together more than certain others. Maybe both.
Out of curiosity. Do you feel the employees in this case were justifiably terminated. I would have to assume that UPS must feel they could do it without any wrongful termination repercussions. 

edit, I think maybe it's not really fair to even ask this with so little information on the circumstances surrounding the protest. I guess we don't know if there were warnings prior to it or not.

Quote:Bunch of guys stuck up for their co worker. I respect it.

Yes, and you can decipher that from message board postings. :wacko: 

lolz, clown. 

Quote:Out of curiosity. Do you feel the employees in this case were justifiably terminated. I would have to assume that UPS must feel they could do it without any wrongful termination repercussions.

Probably so. Without know particulars, it's hard to say. I'm guessing the guy fired was popular, perhaps a thorn in the company's side and they witch hunted him and finally fired him, possibly on questionable reasons...which would tick off the rest.

What makes me curious, is that so many walked out. In most cases, if an employee is a sorry worker type, trouble maker for petty reasons, he wouldn't get that support.

If the company did this under some violation of their collective bargaining contract, perhaps a different rule concerning a job steward, which this guy was apparently, then the issue gets cloudy.

The company and that particular local union have had contentious relations in the past, but as a whole, UPS and the Teamsters have a good working relationship. In many cases they learned to synergize.

You can bet the phones are buzzing between Atlanta and DC.

The 250 fired drivers will have access to the grievance procedure, and depending how hard the company digs its heels in, can be worked out.

This could also be a shot across the bow at the local union... I don't know how their relationship is. But could lead to wider spread animosity. Not good for either side.
Blakes Life Matters