Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
UPS Fires 250 Workers For Participating In Protest

Quote:Well, life would be much simpler if we were robots and took the human element out of the equation. If people didn't stand up to Companies at all then the working force would probably be in a worse situation. Granted, this is a little different situation and speaking in general terms.

While it is not a right to work and that is earned, I don't think I view it so cold heartedly as I've seen from the posts in this thread. But anyways, getting further from the topic so just leave it at that.

I think there was potentially a better way to resolve this issue and that goes for both sides, UPS and the workers. I know they have the right to fire them, but take that out of the equation. Do you think they should have been fired for 90 minute protest? Or could they have found a better solution?
Good points, except in this case, they dont necessarily have the right to fire them. There is a process. Now, in a  right to work State thats not unionized, the company can fire at will...providing they dont violate the cardinal rules of due to age, sex, color,religion, etc. They're smarter than that...in most cases. There are renegade union employees as there are managers, particularly middle management, who have just earned a little power.

I this case, JT, I know for a fact that UPS and the Teamsters have had a long relationship, and for most of the time work well together.So this is interesting. Local 804 was the home of past president of the Teamsters, Ron Carey, who sometimes had a contentious relationship with the company. But was years ago, and most has smoothed over. Sometimes a union rep gets overzealous in his actions and sometimes the company does in theirs.Its why they have a grievance procedure. Was proper protocol followed? Arbitrarily walking off the job sounds dumb, but common in sense ( to most ) would at least wonder why 250 drivers would do this and risk their jobs? Yet again, some respect that, others get excited over a job opening at someones expense. 

Blakes Life Matters

Messages In This Thread
UPS Fires 250 Workers For Participating In Protest - by Guest - 04-09-2014, 10:46 AM
UPS Fires 250 Workers For Participating In Protest - by Ringo - 04-09-2014, 02:08 PM