Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Developing Faster than anticipated?

Quote:My thoughts on Blake that don't deserve it's own thread. Here are my thoughts on Blake Bortles. There's some things that separate Blake from Blaine, and I'll be making excuses for Blake and Blaine. I say this because I think the excuses I make for Blaine can be an absolute positive for Blake

1. Blake is just better than Blaine

Bortles is simply more talented than Gabbert who although had the prototypical NFL size like Bortles, Bortles has shown that he can utilize his size, speed, and arm talent more.

2. Bortles has more talent around him

This is where I make an excuse for Gabbert that bodes well for Blake's success. A lot of times, Gabbert had Jason Hill and Mike Thomas as his #1 and #2 receivers. A younger Cecil Shorts and an oft-suspended Blackmon. He did have MJD and Marcedes, but for the most part, he didn't have the receivers and protection that Blake will. Not here to argue whether he would have been better as we've seen his San Fran debut, but it's hard to argue that he had talent. Blake who has talent and talent around him from Marqise Lee, Allen Robinson, Cecil Shorts, Ace Sanders, Mike Brown, Toby Gerhart, Marcedes Lewis, the O-Line talent, and even D-Rob!

3. Coaching continuity

If you include Mel Tucker, Gabbert has had 5 Head Coaches in 4 years. Not including his college coach Gary Pinkel, he's gone from JDR to Mel Tucker to Mularkey to Gus to Harbaugh. This guy hasn't seen the same leader at te helm in a long, long time. I think little things like this matters. More likely than not, Blake will have that opportunity. He'll go into his second season with the same coach and same offense.

3. Defense!

The best offense is a good defense, right? Blake will have what Gabbert didn't: a formidable defense. Assuming that our defense stays on track, we're looking at a pretty talented bunch. Poz, Smith, Mince, and Pottoast lead Gabbert's team. All good players, but not nearly as talented as the D we have now.

5. Bortles just shows up!

Blaine always flashed his talent, but it was rarely seen on the field. He probably prepared well and knew the offenses, but he just didn't show up on GAMEDAY. Even one game, Bortles showed more stuff that goes beyond stats. Scramble ability, toughness, throwing or the run, throwing with pressure in your face. If he didn't have a couple of drops, his stat line would "look" better. But he just shows up. He flashes potential, but he definitely is a gamer as well.

That's an awful lot of words.

You could shorten that a hell of a lot by saying Gabbert's problems are all in his head (or spine).
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Bortles Developing Faster than anticipated? - by RicoTx - 08-11-2014, 09:21 AM