Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Developing Faster than anticipated?

Per Pro football talk...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/cat...umor-mill/

Quote: 

“He’s had OTAs and minicamp and then now he’s got four weeks to figure out what is he going to do. I thought he really prepared so he came back ahead of where I thought he was going to be.”

Considering he was also made second team QB and not third, is it possible he may become starter earlier than anticipated?

I think the team doesn't want to rush him.

However, if they were 100% married to the idea they would not rush Bortles' development and he would not start this year under any circumstances, they would have made him the 3rd QB.

Over the summer, the subject of Bortles getting playing time/starts this year was the subject of debate on this board.

It appears those indicating he will get starts this year have a little more evidence they were right.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

You hear/see nothing but good things with him.

I am interested in seeing how he performs in the preseason.

Russell Wilson was the backup his rookie camp. He played lights out in the first two preseason games as the backup. Started the third game and played well again. 

He was too good to not start.

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2014, 03:20 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Nice to read/ see.....

but....

lets all take a deep breath (through your nose, not mouth) and relax. 

Bortles shouldn't and won't be starting for awhile. As it should be, 

Quote:Nice to read/ see.....

but....

take a deep breath (through your nose, not mouth) and relax. 

(reads again)

take a deep breath (through your nose, not mouth) and relax. 

Oh...I get it.

Sick burn brah.

Quote:Nice to read/ see.....

but....

lets all take a deep breath (through your nose, not mouth) and relax. 

Oh...I agree with your closing statement.

He should not be rushed into the lineup.

But those are signs he may be deemed "ready" earlier than anticipated.

Now he may be second team just for the purposes of getting him more reps in camp.  (wild speculation on my part)

But if his position as 2nd QB holds into the regular season, you have to wonder whether he'll see action before next year.  Given the flux of the offensive line, I shudder to think what might happen if Henne went down in the preseason through week 5-6 of the regular season.

Quote:Oh...I agree with your closing statement.

He should not be rushed into the lineup.

But those are signs he may be deemed "ready" earlier than anticipated.

Now he may be second team just for the purposes of getting him more reps in camp.  (wild speculation on my part)

But if his position as 2nd QB holds into the regular season, you have to wonder whether he'll see action before next year.  Given the flux of the offensive line, I shudder to think what might happen if Henne went down in the preseason through week 5-6 of the regular season.

Oh, I anticipate Blake starting before seasons end. 

I always figured it would be very similar to what the Eagles did with McNabb (I think he became permanent starter around week 10 or so) 

My post was just aimed at the mouthbreathers that will use that story you provided to start bangin the drum for Bortles to be named starter "yesterday"....

Well...to put this in perspective...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...team-soon/

He'll be starting before the end of the season.  I've said before that I think Bortles should start sooner rather than later, and I think that happens despite what most on here think.  I agree with Prisco and O'Halloran on this subject: Play the kid.

Since the team drafted him with the idea of sitting him out and tweaking his mechanics/footwork, I rather they not play him this year until later in the year just to get his feet wet (assuming we're out of playoff contention by then). Worst thing we can do is throw him out there and for him to revert back to his old habits due to the speed of the game, making the entire process of "redshirting" him meaningless.

Quote:You hear/see nothing but good things with him.

Russell Wilson was the backup his rookie camp. He played lights out in the first two preseason games as the backup. Started the third game and played well again. 

Be very careful with preseason assessments.  Gabbert looked great in preseason games.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Everyone looks good at camp. Wait until preseason but of course this is still good news to hear
[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

They grow so fast.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:You hear/see nothing but good things with him.

They also had an incapable starter. The Jags have Henne and he is decent. Blake needs time. Why rush him?

Quote:Be very careful with preseason assessments. Gabbert looked great in preseason games.

He did?
;

;

Quote:He did?
last preseason he looked new and improved. It was not the case on e regular season started.

Quote:He'll be starting before the end of the season.  I've said before that I think Bortles should start sooner rather than later, and I think that happens despite what most on here think.  I agree with Prisco and O'Halloran on this subject: Play the kid.

Play the kid; once were out of playoff contention. The later the better. 

Quote:He did?

Seconded

Quote:last preseason he looked new and improved. It was not the case on e regular season started.

He may have looked adequate. His rookie year he started at New England in the preseason and was awful.

His second season, I remember a decent game at New Orleans and then got destroyed at Baltimore.

Wasn't he hurt last year?
;

;

Quote:He may have looked adequate. His rookie year he started at New England in the preseason and was awful.

His second season, I remember a decent game at New Orleans and then got destroyed at Baltimore.

Wasn't he hurt last year?
I don't think he was during the preseason. I could be wrong... I've been trying to put th

Quote:They also had an incapable starter. The Jags have Henne and he is decent
. Blake needs time. Why rush him?

This statement completely invalidates your opinion in regards to QB evaluation.