Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Which is the worst Jaguars draft blunder of all time?
Trading up for Derrick Harvey a.k.a. Raphael in 2008.
Beating the clots at the end of the 2011 season and handing them Andrew Luck in the draft.
Trading up for Justin Blackmon in 2012, meanwhile Tannehill and Kuechley are taken a few picks later.
Trading up for Gabbert in 2011, J.J. Watt is then taken by the tinhorns with the pick right after Gabbert.
Taking a Punter in the 3rd round of the 2012 draft, meanwhile Russell Wilson is picked 5 picks later.
Taking college QB Matt Jones in the 1st round in 2005 and making him a WR a position he has not previously played. Oh yeah and Aaron Rodgers is taken 3 picks later.
Taking R. Jay Soward in the 1st round of the 2000 draft.
corn
Blank #2
Taking Reggie Williams 9th overall in 2004, Roethlisberger goes 11th.
[Show Results]

Worst draft related blunder in Jaguars history?

The Harvey pick was by far the worst pick in Jags history. You could have stayed at 28 and picked Calais Campbell (who was even considered a better prospect!) Gabbert Made sense to trade up for, the other busts at least made sense, but you could have argued that the jags could have gotten Harvey outside the top ten. He was not considered a great prospect by anyone. He wasn't productive at Florida, he was tall and fast, and that was about it. 

Matt Jones and Reggie Williams were not bad players. This Idea that they were colossal busts is a bit of an exaggeration. I do firmly believe that they didn't carry the work ethic (along with drug problems) caused them to play sub par. I mean the Jones pick was terrible since he was in the first round (he should have been a 3rd). Reggie Williams was a good prospect, he was a huge prototype WR that fit what the Jags wanted to do. They are a big reason the Jags started picking quire boys from christian colleges and the good kids. 

Taking a punter in round 3 would have been acceptable if he was the best punter in league history. He isn't even considered in the top 5 of punters. The Jags completely gave up on that Draft class. After the draft and hearing the team interviews, you could tell they just picked kids with zero potential. It was a weak class after the first round, but they could have still come up with more than they did. You never draft specialty positions that high. Even if Wilson was still a backup you never heard of, that pick made no sense. They could have even traded it away for a player if they hated the prospects that much or trade away the pick for a 2013 selection.

Rodney Jay was a sad tale of a talented guy with a drug problem. He came off as a complainer, he even said it was bad that he was a 1st rounder because it was too much pressure. 

Aaron Rodgers looked like an awful passer at Cal, he had a disgusting throwing motion and the Jags were still going with Leftwich, even though I disagree with how high they took him, passing on Rodgers is all hindsight. The Jags also avoided busts like Brady Quinn thankfully. 

I feel like this with the Gabbert Pick, you always go for the QB over a DE. It made sense, Gabbert looked the part. Although it should have raised flags when SF passed on him. JJ Watt just burns because he was picked by Houston and I everyone loved him coming in, whats funny is that many though Watt was a late 1st rounder.

From what I know about Irsay, I wouldn't put it past him to say he tanked that season the minute he signed Collins. There is no way that the Colts were so awful that they lose 1 player and the team doesn't win more than 2 games. I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but if anyone were to do something shady/sneaky. It would be Jim Irsay. 

Here's the thing, the Jags are going to miss out on several players in the 2015 draft. It's been said over and over that you can take any draft and look at the guys you missed on. For every Andrew Luck, there are 5 Blaine Gabberts and every JJ Watt there are 5 Derrick Harveys. These guys come and go so quickly and that's why it's such a harsh business. but looking at the strings of poor draft decisions is a direct correlation as to why Jacksonville is still picking in the top 5 for the 3rd straight season. the Jags are long overdue for a homerun. 

Messages In This Thread
Worst draft related blunder in Jaguars history? - by Guest - 12-29-2014, 04:01 PM
Worst draft related blunder in Jaguars history? - by Guest - 12-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Worst draft related blunder in Jaguars history? - by Guest - 12-29-2014, 06:16 PM
Worst draft related blunder in Jaguars history? - by Guest - 01-04-2015, 02:20 PM
Worst draft related blunder in Jaguars history? - by TheAll22 - 01-05-2015, 11:23 AM
Worst draft related blunder in Jaguars history? - by Guest - 01-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Worst draft related blunder in Jaguars history? - by Guest - 01-18-2015, 10:36 AM