Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
People "shying away" from Jaguars OC position per John Clayton via BCC

Quote:I understand the concern, but if you're looking for an experienced coordinator that has had success calling plays and
developing a young QB I believe you're going to be disappointed. There are not too many candidates available that can claim they've done such a thing, maybe a Bill Callahan or Rick Dennison?  Both of those guys are surely hot commodities so there's no guarantee they'd come here, Edgar Bennett has coached under one of the brightest offensive minds in football in Mike McCarthy, MM speaks highly of him. Ben Macadoo didn't call plays in GB and had a lot of success coordinating the New York Giants offense especially as the season went along, I understand he has a veteran QB in Eli Manning but you can't discredit the job he's done. Also, as I mentioned earlier the Jaguars have similar skill players to the Packers, it'd make sense to implement an offense that took advantage of Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson strengths, both guys were lauded for the YAC abilities, the West Coast offense emphasizes YAC. I believe the Jaguars OC target is currently coaching in the playoffs, when you start to narrow down the candidates Bennett makes as much sense as anyone else, just my opinion.
Actually, there are quite a few candidates out there that the team could pursue who have both coordinator and head coaching background.  Both Callahan and Dennison would almost  have to be on the Jags radar, and we know that they're looking to interview one of them for sure. 

I don't really care how highly McCarthy speaks about Bennett.  He's still not at the point where I'd trust handing this offense to him, IMO. 

I'd discount Macadoo as well.  He works for Coughlin.  We know the drill for his offensive play calling.  Coordinators seem to go to work for Coughlin and no matter how creative they might be, their offense looks identical to what the guy they're replacing ran.  Coughlin calls the shots on offense even now in NY. 

Sorry, but this team is too young to go with a first time coordinator.  They need a guy who is ready to step into that role and turn things around quickly.  You're more likely to get there with a proven entity, and in year 3 of a rebuild, we don't need someone who is just trying to figure it out. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Messages In This Thread
People "shying away" from Jaguars OC position per John Clayton via BCC - by FBT - 01-14-2015, 02:10 PM