Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
People "shying away" from Jaguars OC position per John Clayton via BCC

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/1/14/7...c-position

Here's an excerpt from the article

<p class="">"It was a very curious move for Gus Bradley to fire Jedd Fisch. They were such good friends and all that. Hey, you go to a rookie quarterback, and the expectations are you're only going to get 14-16 points a game. That's reality, particularly knowing they didn't have a running game. So, Rick Dennison can be a candidate, but I think a lot of people are shying away from the job because it's going to take some time for this team to build up."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015, 10:51 AM by knarnn.)

Quote: but I think a lot of people are shying away from the job because it's going to take some time for this team to build up.

So in essence he really has no idea considering this is only his opinion and this blurb is the equivalent of throwing poo on the wall hoping it sticks.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Thats some BS. If anything the candidates should be thinking about this OC job as a challenge. IF someone was able to turn our offense around with this upcoming Defense then I think we can win more games if we add the missing pieces(Stud FS, LEO, RT) People are full of [BLEEP] if they wouldn't take this job. For a young offensive team we sparked a bit on some plays which showed some hope for the future. Nothing comes easy and if people don't want this job, they don't deserve any other job in the NFL. 

Nothing more than Clayton's opinion.

but I think a lot of people are shying away from the job

;

;

Quote:So in essence he really has no idea considering this is only his opinion and this blurb is the equivalent of throwing poo on the wall hoping it sticks.

Pretty much

;

;

On the other end I think Clayton is full of [BLEEP] as well. We need some proof to believe that anyway. I think the Jags are interviewing as many candidates possible and then pick the best one. They better move fast before the guy they want goes elsewhere. 

Quote:So in essence he really has no idea considering this is only his opinion and this blurb is the equivalent of throwing poo on the wall hoping it sticks.

I agree, albeit the guy is well connected around the league. In all honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this had some truth to it, I also wouldn't be surprised if it was 100% false. The Jaguars offense was an absolute dumpster fire last year, but there are some exciting young pieces to work with.

I would shy away from all our young offensive talent too.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

He thinks it's so, and that is somehow newsworthy?

He should stick to head banging and getting his mom to make him meatloaf. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

This isn't reporting. He had no "source" to confirm the sentiment. It's nothing more than his opinion based on what he knows about the team. Surmising.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015, 11:14 AM by Spartan6.)

Stupid. Like the BCC article also stated - (Jedd) Fisch was not helping Bortles by the 2nd half of the season. He was handcuffing him. The author recounted how in that first game after the bye week with 2 weeks to prepare, almost every single pass from Bortles that game went 9 yards or less in the air and that was inexcusable. And that any coach worth his salt will know this and see why Fisch was indeed fired. Clayton is being the typical irresponsible, lazy mainstream media that just like to take cheap shots at an easy target, even if they are 100% incorrect. 

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015, 11:18 AM by JagsorDie.)

Nice work clayton... Keep slinging it at the wall, maybe one day, it will stick.

Quote:Stupid. Like the BCC article also stated - (Jedd) Fisch was not helping Bortles by the 2nd half of the season. He was handcuffing him. The author recounted how in that first game after the bye week with 2 weeks to prepare, almost every single pass from Bortles that game went 9 yards or less in the air and that was inexcusable. And that any coach worth his salt will know this and see why Fisch was indeed fired. Clayton is being the typical irresponsible, lazy mainstream media that just like to take cheap shots at an easy target, even if they are 100% incorrect. 

I think the passes were short passes because Fisch didn't think the offensive line could protect long enough for the receivers to run longer routes.   It's also possible Bortles shied away from throwing longer passes for the same reason. 

I'm beginning to think we have a Muschamp situation here in Jacksonville.

Quote:He thinks it's so, and that is somehow newsworthy?

He should stick to head banging and getting his mom to make him meatloaf. 
JW would like you to know that it's just a commercial and thats not really how he lives his life.

On topic though, I think Gus and Dave are interviewing everyone possible and haven't offered the gig to anyone. I doubt people are shying away from the OC job since there's only 32 of them to go around. Some people might have been holding out because they are waiting to see who fills the head coaching vacancies first. Gase to 49ers, Bowles to Jets and Del Rio to Oakland is probably going to make the OC jobs start going faster.

Quote:I think the passes were short passes because Fisch didn't think the offensive line could protect long enough for the receivers to run longer routes.   It's also possible Bortles shied away from throwing longer passes for the same reason. 
Using that logic, Fisch can't be the scapegoat.

I would have liked to see what Bortles did next season... but whatever, change everything up and make him start over with a new playbook, while trying to work on his mechanics and such in the offseason as well

Quote:Using that logic, Fisch can't be the scapegoat.

I would have liked to see what Bortles did next season... but whatever, change everything up and make him start over with a new playbook, while trying to work on his mechanics and such in the offseason as well

Bortles was already going down the wrong track with Fisch in charge. More time almost certainly wasn't going to make this work. 

Lets not act as if there hasn't been situations like this in the annals of NFL history where an OC change was made early in a QB's career and it turned out for the better. 

Bortles was turning into Henne/ Gabbert the more time that passed and Caldwell correctly had to try to put a stop to it. Bortles went from a QB who would be overly aggressive to a QB that looked completely afraid to take a chance for fear of INT by seasons end. I don't think Bortles had a average of over 6 yards in any game after the bye. That can be excused if the TD's were coming at a higher rate like Bridgewater and Carr were progressing to but for Bortles they were not. Bortles was falling into the ultra safe trap. Caldwell had seen enough. 

Obviously a coordinator change doesn't guarantee success for Bortles next year, but I think keeping everything the same would have made failure on the offensive side a pretty safe bet. The Jags have too much invested in offensive skill position draft picks this past year to have kept going down a road that was progressively getting worse. 

Firing Fisch sped up our outlook by a season, and may help stop the de-development of Bortles

From what Oesher said in his O-Zone today, he doesn't think Trestman, Lynch or Wilson are going to be the OC. He thinks they haven't interviewed their OC yet and they will name one at the Senior Bowl.

I'm really holding out hope for Dennison.

They may have their eye on someone on the staff of the remaining 4 teams in the playoffs...  or maybe Clayton is right.  Either way, nothing to get bent out of shape about.  People can have their opinions.  He wasn't offering it up as fact.