Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Detailed Midseason Breakdown of Dave Caldwell's Major Moves

Quote:Well that was educational.

I think I can sum up your entire post in three sentences:

Caldwell has taken a very aggressive approach to rebuilding the roster. A few of the decisions look to have worked out, but many haven't. I am unhappy about this.

My response to that is similar to FBT's. The team was full of overpaid players who either hadn't worked out (Cox, Knighton) or were past their prime (D. Smith, Landry). Instead of committing lots of money to players he didn't think would be around by the time this team makes a playoff run, he chose to replace them with young guys who had a shot to be contributors down the line. Taking a long look at your list, I can honestly say that I don't see any one name that makes me go, "Wow, we'd have won two games if he was still here." I mean, fullback is high on your list of complaints. Fullback? Really? Willy T. is average. At a lot of positions, that's problematic, but for a fullback making minimum salary? As long as he can stalemate defenders long enough to buy Mojo a hole--and the line has been far worse blocking for the run than Willy T. has--he's a passable NFL fullback. I wouldn't be surprised if Caldwell goes with a more versatile fullback as early as next year, but Willy T. does well enough for now. Paying Greg Jones over three times as much wouldn't have bought us a single win.

Look at it like this: is Dawan Landry a better strong safety than John Cyprien? Right now, yes, he probably is. But Cyprien is younger, faster and much, much cheaper. Apply the same general principal to Daryl Smith. Is he a better linebacker than Geno Hayes? Yes, absolutely. But Hayes is younger, cheaper, and considerably faster than Smith ever was. Smith does not fit the team's plans long-term; Hayes might.
If you read my post fully you would see I don't have anything negative to say about any of the moves Dave has made the the safety and CB positions. I said him letting Cox walk saved us a lot of money, and Blackmon, Ball, and Gratz look to have the position stabilized. I also said I wouldn't knock him for letting Landry and Lowry go because he replaced them with up and comers in Jon and Josh. My main issue is that we let Jones, Smith, and Knighton all go places where they didn't get huge paychecks, and then we replaced them at almost the exact same cost with worse players. The whole reason to not resign them was supposed to be they were old and expensive, but the thing is we paid almost as much to sign their replacements who are still only stop gap players, and they have less talent. Jones could have been a big help in our backfield now because our QBs and RBs need all the extra blockers they can get, and an average journeyman FB isn't cutting it. WIll T, was not going to be a contributor on a playoff team, and I understand Geno could be but we could have signed him and Smith and still been fine with money. Then signing Miller for the exact same amount that Knighton got paid is just ridiculous. Knighton is better than Miller is! Why let him go then pay a worse DT the same amount of money?!

Messages In This Thread
Detailed Midseason Breakdown of Dave Caldwell's Major Moves - by mattsurf1700 - 10-31-2013, 09:02 PM