Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Transgender HS student wants to use female locker room

Quote:Well sure, you listed one in particular where you have to deal with a chaperone just do the job you trained for. Why is that tho? Did it stem from some sexual mis-conduct on the part of a male to a female during some kind of evaluation? I don't know the reason so I'm asking.

It's unfortunate that a few sickos set a precedent that then makes these kinds of rules be put into place. Hell before 9/11 we didn't have to get practically strip searched at the airport either, but a few bad onions ruin the soup.

Generally speaking tho, I cannot think of too many instances where a male, white of otherwise, is discriminated against on the regular.

It's not just at my facility. Every sonographer I've ever talked to has the policy in place that males need chaperones for those procedures. The reason most facilities have the policy in place is to ensure female patients they are save and prevent sexual assault from happening. That's fine, I have no problem with that. The lack of a similar policy being in place for females performing exams on male patients is where the double standard exists. Are female sonographers incapable of sexually assaulting a male patient when performing a scrotal ultrasound? One would have to be incredibly naive to think that.

Furthermore, considering that breast and pelvic ultrasounds are probably about 20% of what we do, it negatively affects employment opportunities. A hospital is not suppose to be allowed to discriminate against gender, but why would they hire a female over a male when they will have to pay for the male to have a chaperone during some exams?

You ask why I bring this up. It's because this is something that I have a significant amount of personal history with and every female in the profession I have talked to agrees that the double standard exists. It's a good discussion to have with people who are unaware of double standards that negatively affect men.

"Generally speaking tho, I cannot think of too many instances where a male, white of otherwise, is discriminated against on the regular."

Just a couple things from the top of my head:

1. Sexual assaults against women are just about always treated as heinous crimes, and rightfully so. Sexual assaults against men are often trivialized with things like "he probably liked it!". A great example of this is how the public would view a 30 year old male teacher sleeping with a 15 year old female student compared to how the public would view a 30 year old female teacher sleeping with a 15 year old male student.

2. Domestic violence against women is a very oft-reported and the awareness on it is high. Domestic violence against men is often trivialized by things like "so what, men are stronger than women" or "stop being a p....".  Watch this video and tell me what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRCS6GGhIRc

163 people go by without speaking up or sticking up for the guy being physically assaulted.

Messages In This Thread
Transgender HS student wants to use female locker room - by hailtoyourvictor - 09-18-2015, 12:39 PM