Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Transgender HS student wants to use female locker room

"The walkout lasted for about two hours. Roughly 30-40 people showed support for senior Lila Perry, who wants to use the girls’ locker room during gym class. Perry was born a male but said she has identified as a female since 13.

'There’s a lot of ignorance, they are claiming that they’re uncomfortable. I don’t believe for a second that they are. I think this is pure and simple bigotry,' said Perry."

http://www.youngcons.com/missouri-studen...ker-rooms/

No, no, and no. If/when I have a daughter in the future, heck if she's going to be forced to have to share a locker room with someone who has male genitalia.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I support transgender rights in almost all situations. This is not one of them. Hardware should determine which locker room you suit up in. If a transgirl has already had gender reassignment surgery and the bits and pieces are no longer intact, yeah, she belongs in the girls locker room. If she's still got her man parts, she should be in a third, isolated location. There's too much risk of her being abused in the boys' locker room, and too much liability putting her in with the girls.

For those who have not read the story, the school offered the use of a neutral bathroom. 

If they allow this trans girl to use the girls restroom/locker room then they will open the door for any pervy boy to put on a dress and request to use the lady facilities. If they offered a neutral bathroom then this person needs to use it.

Quote:If they allow this trans girl to use the girls restroom/locker room then they will open the door for any pervy boy to put on a dress and request to use the lady facilities. If they offered a neutral bathroom then this person needs to use it.

A boy doing that would not be a perv, he would be normal.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:A boy doing that would not be a perv, he would be normal.
Dressing himself as a girl so he can see girls naked against their will would most definitely be a pervert.

Quote:Dressing himself as a girl so he can see girls naked against their will would most definitely be a pervert.

If you say so.  :mellow:

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:For those who have not read the story, the school offered the use of a neutral bathroom. 

I'm generally pretty sympathetic to victims of bigotry, but this right here pretty much makes this come off as an attention grab. The one thing I am curious about is if this student is treated by the student populace as female...meaning if "he's just one of the girls" in every other conceivable circumstance, I can kinda see where this stems from. Even then, common sense should step in. I think TJBender said it best overall.

I would like to think if I were in a similar situation, I would actually prefer the neutral bathroom...

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:If you say so.  :mellow:
Big fan of Bill Cosby?

Quote:Big fan of Bill Cosby?

I was just 13 once.

Quote:I'm generally pretty sympathetic to victims of bigotry, but this right here pretty much makes this come off as an attention grab. The one thing I am curious about is if this student is treated by the student populace as female...meaning if "he's just one of the girls" in every other conceivable circumstance, I can kinda see where this stems from. Even then, common sense should step in. I think TJBender said it best overall.

I would like to think if I were in a similar situation, I would actually prefer the neutral bathroom...

Sure, you'd like to think that.  The problem is it's difficult for any of us to understand what it's like for a transperson.  To feel like you're in the wrong body.  Being forced to use the unisex bathroom makes her feel like she's not 'normal'.  This can't make sense to most of us, because we can't understand what it's like for her.  I know some people will say she's not 'normal'.  I very much disagree.  My wife's uncle's friend had a trans-child, who was pretty much as normal as they come.  Unfortunately like many transgender people, she killed herself.

Perhaps the ideal solution would be to stop having all students change into gym clothes.  It cuts into valuable gym time anyway.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2015, 11:09 AM by rollerjag.)

Quote:Sure, you'd like to think that.  The problem is it's difficult for any of us to understand what it's like for a transperson.  To feel like you're in the wrong body.  Being forced to use the unisex bathroom makes her feel like she's not 'normal'.  This can't make sense to most of us, because we can't understand what it's like for her.  I know some people will say she's not 'normal'.  I very much disagree.  My wife's uncle's friend had a trans-child, who was pretty much as normal as they come.  Unfortunately like many transgender people, she killed herself.

Perhaps the ideal solution would be to stop having all students change into gym clothes.  It cuts into valuable gym time anyway.

The text I bolded is at the heart of the matter. As foreign the situation may be to most of us, a transperson does not feel at all normal with the genitalia with which they were born or the societal norm in which they live.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

What a lot of people don't realize is that the suicide rate for TG's is 31%. Most TG's have had at least 1 suicide attempt by the age of 20.

I Agree a neutral locker room is the answer here since she has not had SRS.

You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2015, 12:01 PM by Jaguar Warrior.)

Quote:The text I bolded is at the heart of the matter. As foreign the situation may be to most of us, a transperson does not feel at all normal with the genitalia with which they were born or the societal norm in which they live.

Most of the mentally ill don't feel normal. You are correct. The government should subsidize corrective research to help cure the individual. In the meantime, a gender neutral bathroom is a perfect solution.

Quote:Sure, you'd like to think that.  The problem is it's difficult for any of us to understand what it's like for a transperson.  To feel like you're in the wrong body.  Being forced to use the unisex bathroom makes her feel like she's not 'normal'.  This can't make sense to most of us, because we can't understand what it's like for her.  I know some people will say she's not 'normal'.  I very much disagree.  My wife's uncle's friend had a trans-child, who was pretty much as normal as they come.  Unfortunately like many transgender people, she killed herself.

So I'm not sure what you're supporting here in this case. Do you think he should be allowed to use the girl's locker room?

Quote:So I'm not sure what you're supporting here in this case. Do you think he should be allowed to use the girl's locker room?

I think that we should do away with changing into gym clothes.  I thought that was clear by me saying: "Perhaps the ideal solution would be to stop having all students change into gym clothes.  It cuts into valuable gym time anyway."

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I think that we should do away with changing into gym clothes.  I thought that was clear by me saying: "Perhaps the ideal solution would be to stop having all students change into gym clothes.  It cuts into valuable gym time anyway."
I can't even begin to imagine how bad high schools would smell...

Quote:I think that we should do away with changing into gym clothes.  I thought that was clear by me saying: "Perhaps the ideal solution would be to stop having all students change into gym clothes.  It cuts into valuable gym time anyway."
Everyone should have to suffer through smelling like a trash heap because one person can't just use their bathroom?

Quote:I can't even begin to imagine how bad high schools would smell...

Axxe, hair spray and 3-hours-after-gym-class drawers.

We'd be able end the teen pregnancy issue... 

I didn't think you were serious with something than unreasonable.