Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Year 3 of the rebuild. The arrow is not pointing up. When to hit the reset button?

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015, 07:02 PM by Pujo.)

Quote:A HC that constantly thinks he's in in "learning mode" and that winning isn't all that big a deal is a problem.  The culture and mentality that he's creating is one of a kindergarten class.  One where learning and improving is good.  

Dude, anyone that has ever been in management knows you don't run a team like that... Even when you have a whole bunch of newbies, you push them to be successful...  Not be see good things.  Or to learn from mistakes.  You push and you push.

Gus came in to a rebuild and said he was all about development.  It was clear that winning wasn't important.  The problem is that this is year 3, and I really don't think he thinks winning is important.

Look at a guy like Rex Ryan.  The dude never gave excuses.  He still doesn't give excuses.  He strives for winning.  All the dang time.  That's the mentality a team has to have.

What is our mentality?  What is our philosophy?  What is our identity?

We don't have one.  Because Gus just sees this as a chance to get better.  That's great in kindergarten.  This is professional football.  The only thing that matters is winning.  And Gus doesn't have that type of attitude.  And it reflects in our play and execution on Sundays.

We're never going for the throat.  We never seem to be ready to execute perfectly.  That's because in practice there is no push for that.  Everything is about getting better.  Things should be about executing and winning.  I just don't think Gus gets it...

Im going to preface my comments by saying that I am not a huge fan of Gus and do not think he is a great head coach. However, I think it is tough to say things like there is no push in practice or that gus doesnt care about winning. I think Gus portrays it to the media that he is always positive. That being said nobody here knows how Gus interacts with the team in the locker room. As you could see in the video from Gus yelling and screaming at his defense during his Seattle days that is on youtube, he has that mean grit to him. I think as a coach he chooses to be positive in the media so that the players can focus on playing and not worrying about them getting asked questions about Gus calling them out. 

Now this is just hopeful talk and if he is the same way behind the scenes as he is in interviews and press conferences, I can see why the team is underperforming and not playing crisply. I just dont really think its fair to make a claim about how Gus is to the players when in fact we have no way of knowing how he communicates with them. I believe he is mostly that outgoing positive person, but I can't believe he didn't rip them a new one after that embarrassing loss.

Messages In This Thread
Year 3 of the rebuild. The arrow is not pointing up. When to hit the reset button? - by Pujo - 09-29-2015, 07:01 PM