Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So What Positions Will You Scout this fall?

(06-25-2017, 03:57 PM)Bullseye Wrote: If you are like me, one of the things I like to do is identify the potential team weaknesses and focus on those positions in the college game in the fall.  However, I think despite the record, as a whole Caldwell and company have adequately stocked the roster with talent such that there doesn't appear to be many glaring holes upon which to focus. 

Assuming this to be true, will you just watch college football generally, focus on QB until Bortles shows himself to be the guy, or are there particular positions other than QB on which you will place your focus?

For me, even though the positions seem well stocked for now, I think WR and LB will be my focus this fall.  

My focus on WR is not an indictment on the position now.  I think Robinson, Lee, Hurns, Benn and Westbrook are all capable receivers.  But the position, on a long term basis, is far from stable.

While Hurns has been signed to a contract extension, Robinson and Lee are slated to be free agents at the end of this season.  It's not out of the realm of possibility both could be re-signed, I could see  a scenario where one or both could leave.  If Robinson leaves, that would leave the Jaguars without a definite #1 WR.  If Lee departs, I don't know if the Jaguars would be left with a reliable deep threat.  Westbrook can get deep, but with his off field issues, there is no telling how long he can avoid staying out of the doghouse of strict disciplinarians Doug Marrone and Tom Coughlin.  A worst case scenario could leave the Jaguars with only Hurns.  I like Hurns, but that is in no way acceptable for a team that has been so devoid of quality WR play for so long.

Linebacker presents different issues.  Jack, for the moment seems to be a longer term solution at one of the three positions, the other two are questionable.  Telvin Smith has made some plays for the Jaguars, but he is slated to be a free agent at the end of the year.  Paul Poszlusny, a career ILB/MLB, is moving to SAM this year.  Age concerns aside, I'm left to wonder how he can adjust to the switch.  He is adept in zone, but can he run with a TE down the seam?  What if he gets isolated on a speedy RB on a wheel route?  I think contract, age and speed concerns mandate LB be a primary focus.

As always, your thoughts are welcome.

What a difference a preseason makes!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Messages In This Thread
RE: So What Positions Will You Scout this fall? - by Bullseye - 09-01-2017, 11:45 AM