Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So What Positions Will You Scout this fall?

If you are like me, one of the things I like to do is identify the potential team weaknesses and focus on those positions in the college game in the fall.  However, I think despite the record, as a whole Caldwell and company have adequately stocked the roster with talent such that there doesn't appear to be many glaring holes upon which to focus. 

Assuming this to be true, will you just watch college football generally, focus on QB until Bortles shows himself to be the guy, or are there particular positions other than QB on which you will place your focus?

For me, even though the positions seem well stocked for now, I think WR and LB will be my focus this fall.  

My focus on WR is not an indictment on the position now.  I think Robinson, Lee, Hurns, Benn and Westbrook are all capable receivers.  But the position, on a long term basis, is far from stable.

While Hurns has been signed to a contract extension, Robinson and Lee are slated to be free agents at the end of this season.  It's not out of the realm of possibility both could be re-signed, I could see  a scenario where one or both could leave.  If Robinson leaves, that would leave the Jaguars without a definite #1 WR.  If Lee departs, I don't know if the Jaguars would be left with a reliable deep threat.  Westbrook can get deep, but with his off field issues, there is no telling how long he can avoid staying out of the doghouse of strict disciplinarians Doug Marrone and Tom Coughlin.  A worst case scenario could leave the Jaguars with only Hurns.  I like Hurns, but that is in no way acceptable for a team that has been so devoid of quality WR play for so long.

Linebacker presents different issues.  Jack, for the moment seems to be a longer term solution at one of the three positions, the other two are questionable.  Telvin Smith has made some plays for the Jaguars, but he is slated to be a free agent at the end of the year.  Paul Poszlusny, a career ILB/MLB, is moving to SAM this year.  Age concerns aside, I'm left to wonder how he can adjust to the switch.  He is adept in zone, but can he run with a TE down the seam?  What if he gets isolated on a speedy RB on a wheel route?  I think contract, age and speed concerns mandate LB be a primary focus.

As always, your thoughts are welcome.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

1) Given the recent high draft selections of Carson Wentz and Mitch Trubisky, I think I'll be paying more attention to Josh Allen QB Wyoming who will most likely be selected in the top 5 of the QB heavy draft class.

2) Our TEs kind of suck. It's a weak draft class so I guess I'm just praying someone like Sterling emerges

3) Safety --- Pitt has a dude named Jordan Whitehead that runs a 4.45 and was a star RB and DB back in high school. He's a freakish athlete and will be lining up on offense in certain situations so I'll be comparing him to Derwin James as either may be there in the mid-rounds if we actually hit 7-9 or 8-8 this year.

4) I love to see us have a true Ray Lewis type ILB but there's none out there

5) WR --- With our focus on the running game and the fact that we focused on WRs the past few years, this should be the least of our worries so if we're looking at WRs late in the season, that means we've had another terrible year.

6) RBs ---- Barkley-Chubb-Guice-Scarborogh ..... holy crap, the big-fast RBs are making a comeback

OL
QB
TE
FS
SS

(I think I like our safeties, but lining up an heir apparent to either wouldn't be a bad idea IMO. Church will be getting long in the tooth by the third year of his contract and we'll know whether we want to keep paying Gipson or not by season's end. That's a big, fat "maybe" right now.)

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2017, 06:41 AM by Bullseye.)

(06-26-2017, 09:26 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: 1) Given the recent high draft selections of Carson Wentz and Mitch Trubisky, I think I'll be paying more attention to Josh Allen QB Wyoming who will most likely be selected in the top 5 of the QB heavy draft class.

2) Our TEs kind of suck.   It's a weak draft class so I guess I'm just praying someone like Sterling emerges

3) Safety --- Pitt has a dude named Jordan Whitehead that runs a 4.45 and was a star RB and DB back in high school.  He's a freakish athlete and will be lining up on offense in certain situations so I'll be comparing him to Derwin James as either may be there in the mid-rounds if we actually hit 7-9 or 8-8 this year.

5) WR --- With our focus on the running game and the fact that we focused on WRs the past few years, this should be the least of our worries so if we're looking at WRs late in the season, that means we've had another terrible year.

6) RBs ---- Barkley-Chubb-Guice-Scarborogh ..... holy crap, the big-fast RBs are making a comeback

1.  I guess QBs will be/should be a focus until we definitively have one.

2.  Yeah, they do suck, and the sad thing is they had the deepest and most talented TE class in recent history to re-stock it, and they didn't.

3.  S makes some sense.

4.  & 6.  Is your desire for a Ray Lewis type ILB an indictment of Myles Jack, a realization that the big RB is making a comeback, or something else?

5.  Do you think the Jaguars will end up re-signing Lee and Robinson, or do you think losing these guys are no big deal?

(06-26-2017, 05:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: OL
QB
TE
FS
SS

(I think I like our safeties, but lining up an heir apparent to either wouldn't be a bad idea IMO.  Church will be getting long in the tooth by the third year of his contract and we'll know whether we want to keep paying Gipson or not by season's end. That's a big, fat "maybe" right now.)

Are there any positions on the OL you are focusing on in particular?  If so, is it because this past draft's OL class was so weak, more investment is needed?

(06-27-2017, 06:40 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-26-2017, 09:26 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: ...

5.  Do you think the Jaguars will end up re-signing Lee and Robinson, or do you think losing these guys are no big deal?

(06-26-2017, 05:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: OL
QB
TE
FS
SS

(I think I like our safeties, but lining up an heir apparent to either wouldn't be a bad idea IMO.  Church will be getting long in the tooth by the third year of his contract and we'll know whether we want to keep paying Gipson or not by season's end. That's a big, fat "maybe" right now.)

Are there any positions on the OL you are focusing on in particular?  If so, is it because this past draft's OL class was so weak, more investment is needed?

Like the FS situation I described - it depends on what happens in 2017 - but here's how I see it: 

Parnell will turn 32 before next year's training camp. He's under contract for a few more years, but he may diminish before it's up.  We may or may not have a sure thing stud starter at both guard spots.  We don't know where Linder will be playing for sure. We don't know much about out current depth besides Shatley and Omameh being "solid." Maybe Bowanko too. Watford is still an unknown. 
  • I think they may want to add competition at RT even if it's a guy that they don't plan to start right away should Parnell be perform well in 2017.  (perhaps a 3rd or 4th round tackle that falls a bit and could develop to challenge Parnell in time is a good move - depends on the tackle class)
  • If no clear answer emerges on both sides of the center - I think they go after a stud guard to man one of those spots.
  • If Linder stays at guard - they will likely want to find a stud center. 

So - I think RT is a good one to watch and G and C sort of depend on what shakes out from the wheat and chaff this season. One of those could be on deck in the 2018 draft as well.

(06-27-2017, 07:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-27-2017, 06:40 AM)Bullseye Wrote: ...

Like the FS situation I described - it depends on what happens in 2017 - but here's how I see it. 

Parnell will turn 32 before next year's training camp. He's under contract for a few more years, but he may diminish before it's up.  We may or may not have a sure thing stud starter at both guard spots.  We don't know where Linder will be playing for sure. We don't know much about out current depth besides Shatley and Omameh being "solid." Maybe Bowanko too. Watford is still an unknown. 
  • I think they may want to add competition at RT even if it's a guy that they don't plan to start right away should Parnell be perform well in 2017.  (perhaps a 3rd or 4th round tackle that falls a bit and could develop to challenge Parnell in time is a good move - depends on the tackle class)
  • If no clear answer emerges on both sides of the center - I think they go after a stud guard to man one of those spots.
That makes sense.

How do you think Robinson fits into the analysis?  Do you see him as the long term answer at LT or RT?

I think given Parnell's age (and Albert's too), T should be a focus, whether Robinson ends up at LT, RT, or G.

(06-27-2017, 08:01 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-27-2017, 07:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: ...
That makes sense.

How do you think Robinson fits into the analysis?  Do you see him as the long term answer at LT or RT?

I think given Parnell's age (and Albert's too), T should be a focus, whether Robinson ends up at LT, RT, or G.

I think at this point I have to take Marrone and Caldwell at their word when they talk about Cam being the LT for the Jags for a long time.  I know some of that talk was probably meant for Albert's agent's ears, but I think it's probably (and ideally) where he eventually ends up nonetheless. 
Agreed on Tackle being a focus. It's listed first for me intentionally. Even if the guys on the roster look good this season - if value is there in the draft - then having the "next guy up" already on the roster would be wise given the age of Albert and Parnell and the yet unproven (but promising) Robinson topping the depth chart. 
Bad run blocking in the interior during '17 could shift that focus a bit however. Hopefully we don't have to cross that bridge.

(06-27-2017, 08:21 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-27-2017, 08:01 AM)Bullseye Wrote: That makes sense.

I think at this point I have to take Marrone and Caldwell at their word when they talk about Cam being the LT for the Jags for a long time.  I know some of that talk was probably meant for Albert's agent's ears, but I think it's probably (and ideally) where he eventually ends up nonetheless. 
Agreed on Tackle being a focus. It's listed first for me intentionally. Even if the guys on the roster look good this season - if value is there in the draft  - then having the next man on the roster would be wise given the age of Albert and Parnell and the yet unproven (but promising) Robinson topping the depth chart. 
Bad run blocking in the interior during '17 could shift that focus a bit however. Hopefully we don't have to cross that bridge.
To be honest, I can see arguments for Robinson starting anywhere this year, though for me, a best case scenario is that he is a dominant LT from jump and beats out Branden Albert, who slides to RT.

As far as your closing line, I hear you, brother.  The run blocking last year was absolutely demoralizing.

(06-27-2017, 06:40 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-26-2017, 09:26 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: 1) Given the recent high draft selections of Carson Wentz and Mitch Trubisky, I think I'll be paying more attention to Josh Allen QB Wyoming who will most likely be selected in the top 5 of the QB heavy draft class.

2) Our TEs kind of suck.   It's a weak draft class so I guess I'm just praying someone like Sterling emerges

3) Safety --- Pitt has a dude named Jordan Whitehead that runs a 4.45 and was a star RB and DB back in high school.  He's a freakish athlete and will be lining up on offense in certain situations so I'll be comparing him to Derwin James as either may be there in the mid-rounds if we actually hit 7-9 or 8-8 this year.

1.  I guess QBs will be/should be a focus until we definitively have one.

2.  Yeah, they do suck, and the sad thing is they had the deepest and most talented TE class in recent history to re-stock it, and they didn't.

3.  S makes some sense.

4.  & 6.  Is your desire for a Ray Lewis type ILB an indictment of Myles Jack, a realization that the big RB is making a comeback, or something else?

Regarding #4 & 6 -- Not really.  I was not linking them in the same fashion but they could go hand-in-hand which is a good observation.  

I just see Myles Jack as a finesse ILB at 6'1" 225 pounds whereas Ray Lewis was just a bad [BLEEP] ILB at 6'1" 250 pounds.  Of course, Lewis is a once in a generation type player but I prefer the bigger, intimidating type ILB.  I'd think MJ would be better suited for either OLB or an ILB in a 3-4 scheme.

#5 -- With a good QB, I think WRs like Lee & Hurns are a dime a dozen.  Good QBs can take unknown slow WRs who run decent routes and make them look like all pros. Take for instance the Steelers who had an undrafted WR Eli Rogers go for 594 yards last season.  If you ask anyone on the street who Eli Rogers is they'd most likely say an actor in an old western movie.

In no particular order:

Nose Tackle - It's not that I don't believe in Abry Jones, but a true stud Nose Tackle makes life a whole lot easier on everyone with regards to Defense and Jones is no stud. He is serviceable and I think he belongs on an NFL field, but I'm looking for a Vince Wilfork type here. The Nose tackle doesn't really need to be a true Zero technique type, but a large body Defensive Tackle is always a nice thing to have. 

Prospects: Lowell Lotulelei, Utah - - - Derrick Nnadi, Florida State

Tight End - I'll just write this and then go back to the point of this thread; there was too much damn talent in the Tight End spot and too much damn need for it on this roster for this team to not address it in some way. To me, quality Tight Ends are the easiest miss matches to create via scheme and if you don't have one you are missing out on a big advantage. Anyways, there is serviceable talent on the roster now but fresh, young blood needs to be brought in.

Prospects: Troy Fumagalli, Wisconsin - - - DeAndre Goolsby, Florida

Offensive Tackle - Similar to the Tight End situation where the spot is serviceable, but there is a need for fresh blood. Hell, might as well throw in Guard too!

Prospects: Martez Ivey, Florida (Guard?) - - - Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame (pipe dream)
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(06-27-2017, 01:30 PM)Deacon Wrote: In no particular order:

Nose Tackle - It's not that I don't believe in Abry Jones, but a true stud Nose Tackle makes life a whole lot easier on everyone with regards to Defense and Jones is no stud. He is serviceable and I think he belongs on an NFL field, but I'm looking for a Vince Wilfork type here. The Nose tackle doesn't really need to be a true Zero technique type, but a large body Defensive Tackle is always a nice thing to have. 

Huge benefit to the LBs as well since the NT absorbs the initial brunt of the blocks or impact of the RB.  I recall Ray Lewis (there I go again) complaining one year that they didn't have a NT so he was less effective ... then the Ravens went out and got Haloti Ngata.   The Steelers were much better with Casey Hampton as well.

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2017, 04:20 PM by Bullseye.)

So you might be okay with another Stroud or Henderson then?  Would you consider that position with our first round pick next year, or do you think other positions should be given higher priority in that round?

(06-27-2017, 11:25 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(06-27-2017, 06:40 AM)Bullseye Wrote: 1.  I guess QBs will be/should be a focus until we definitively have one.

3.  S makes some sense.

Regarding #4 & 6 -- Not really.  I was not linking them in the same fashion but they could go hand-in-hand which is a good observation.  

I just see Myles Jack as a finesse ILB at 6'1" 225 pounds whereas Ray Lewis was just a bad [BLEEP] ILB at 6'1" 250 pounds.  Of course, Lewis is a once in a generation type player but I prefer the bigger, intimidating type ILB.  I'd think MJ would be better suited for either OLB or an ILB in a 3-4 scheme.

#5 -- With a good QB, I think WRs like Lee & Hurns are a dime a dozen.  Good QBs can take unknown slow WRs who run decent routes and make them look like all pros. Take for instance the Steelers who had an undrafted WR Eli Rogers go for 594 yards last season.  If you ask anyone on the street who Eli Rogers is they'd most likely say an actor in an old western movie.

As to the portion in bold, you got exactly what I was getting at with my question.  Your paradigm of MLBs/ILBs are the big run pluggers, even though the league has gone to a passing league? 

Your closing statement in that paragraph is puzzling though.  I would think the 250 lb guy is the better fit as a 3-4 ILB, not a "finesse" guy like Jack.

As to number 5, while I have every confidence Coughlin, Caldwell and Marrone could  identify and draft productive WRs, not sure I would want to re-invent the wheel at that position, especially where draft capital could be better spent elsewhere.  Those guys are still productive and still in their primes.  I would give at least one of either Robinson or Lee another contract.

(06-27-2017, 04:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-27-2017, 01:30 PM)Deacon Wrote: Nose Tackle -

So you might be okay with another Stroud or Henderson then?  Would you consider that position with our first round pick next year, or do you think other positions should be given higher priority in that round?

To me, and understand that this is coming from the perspective of not having watched the 2017 Jacksonville team, but the First Round should be spent on the Tackle position on either side of the ball. Either a dominant Nose Tackle or a top notch OT. I would have no problem with having another good-to-great DT rotation starring three starting caliber players with two true studs.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(06-27-2017, 11:25 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: ...  

(06-27-2017, 04:04 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Huge benefit to the LBs as well since the NT absorbs the initial brunt of the blocks or impact of the RB.  I recall Ray Lewis (there I go again) complaining one year that they didn't have a NT so he was less effective ... then the Ravens went out and got Haloti Ngata.   The Steelers were much better with Casey Hampton as well.

You and I are inline with how we view ILBs; you need one mean, metal-eating MF'er there to set the tone and this Organization has not done a good job of drafting them. The last two really good ILBs that we've had have been bought, not drafted - Poz and Peterson - and while Free Agents still play, I like the dedication that the team has made to the LB corps. 

A strong "interior triangle" of the Mike and the DTs is absolutely invaluable. We've got the barest of start with Jack, but he's going to need help in order to get him to full blown "Run and Hit" status. So let's get him a DT.

I should have included that in my list.  It slipped my mind that Jones and Stefan Charles are our top NTs at the moment.  The defense would indeed benefit from having more of an "impact" guy there.  Jones was pretty disruptive at times, but he's not exactly elite at the position. 

However - they do tend to just use the NT to soak up a double team in base downs allowing the 3-tech to do the athletic stuff.
And then on nickel downs they will often pull the NT and put more of a pass rush guy in his spot. (I think we see Campbell slide in there a bit this season on nickel downs) 
So the opportunity for big impact at the NT spot is slightly diminished in Wash's defense if he continues to substitute that way.
The right guy added there could certainly alter the way they scheme that of course - and that could be a good thing.

This team has to find a legitimate QB that doesn't turn the ball over. Bortles is not the answer. I would be ok with Henne starting the season. Bortles has done nothing to prove to me that he deserves to be under center. Play Bortles... go 6-10 if you're lucky... Play Henne... go 8-8.
I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2017, 08:11 AM by Kane.)

(07-17-2017, 11:45 AM)David4499 Wrote: This team has to find a legitimate QB that doesn't turn the ball over. Bortles is not the answer. I would be ok with Henne starting the season. Bortles has done nothing to prove to me that he deserves to be under center. Play Bortles... go 6-10 if you're lucky... Play Henne... go 8-8.

6-10, 8-8
Same season... so why would you want 8-8 when 6-10 gets the better draft selection?
I'm really beginning to think that your avatar is a selfie.

On topic:
QB, TE, FS/SS are the main 3 positions I'll be keeping my eyes on. Now I wouldn't ignore OL, DL, LB, and WR... these position groups will need some depth additions and some insurance for contracts we just won't be able to resign. But immediate upgrades will be needed for TE, imo. And depending on Bortles, QB.
Also FS/SS if Gipson & Church turns out to be more stop gap signings than star signings.

As for QB, I'm excited to see how Luke Falk takes the next step as a QB. He did really well last year and decided to return for another year in Washington State's Air Raid attack. But that "Air Raid" attack is the knock... They haven't translated well in the NFL. NFL QBs to watch to see if the mold is breaking, Mahomes, Webb, & Goff. And I've always felt that a good QB is a good QB, no matter the system. I think Falk could be the first truly successful Air Raid guy, if Goff and Mahomes aren't.

At TE the pool of talent is smaller unless some star emerges this season.
I like Fumagalli as a 2nd round talent... middle round to late round guy Goolsby from UF (gotten a little better each year as a receiver).
Penn State has a guy who appeared out of nowhere last season and if he can continue his production of 600+ yards 5+ TDs, he could be an interesting target too.

For SS I like Derwin james and Ronnie Harrison. James sophmore season was cut short by injury but by all accounts was on his way to star status. If he can bounce back from a knee injury, watch out. Harrison is just another beast from a beastly program that just reloads on D like nobody else. Is it possible to go wrong when picking an Alabama prospect? Save for some over hyped running backs lol
At FS Whitehead is worth watching, he's actually switching from SS to FS this season because he has that all around skill set... which.. apparently the Jaguars like being able to switch swap their safeties from what I've read.

Here's why I don't like Josh Allen
Playing at Wyoming he didn't play against top notch talent. And he still struggled to perform sometimes...
As opposed to being a big fish in a little pond.. he's just a fish... in a pond... in Wyoming...

YPA is very good though, at 8.5
But comp % was under 60
28 TDs is decent, but 15 INTs is Bortles territory.
VS Nebraska it looked like he didn't belong. 1 TD 5 INTs, they got worked.
in 5 contests he threw for less than 200 yards and in 3 contests he threw 0 TDs

Maybe he has a different kind of season this year...but he has Iowa and Oregon in 2 of his first 3 matchups. Ouch.

Another reason to worry about WR- Belichick arranged pre-season joint practices last year with the Saints and then traded for Brandin Cooks. He certainly has information on impending free agents and likely arranged joint practices this year with a team with free agents that he likes so that he can get a first hand look. Guess who.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(07-23-2017, 08:05 PM)PF* Wrote: Another reason to worry about WR- Belichick arranged pre-season joint practices last year with the Saints and then traded for Brandin Cooks. He certainly has information on impending free agents and likely arranged joint practices this year with a team with free agents that he likes so that he can get a first hand look. Guess who.

I don't think he needed a joint practice to know Cooks was a beast though.

(07-17-2017, 11:45 AM)David4499 Wrote: This team has to find a legitimate QB that doesn't turn the ball over. Bortles is not the answer. I would be ok with Henne starting the season. Bortles has done nothing to prove to me that he deserves to be under center. Play Bortles... go 6-10 if you're lucky... Play Henne... go 8-8.

Henne has 27 TDs and 26 Ints with the Jags and 58 TDs and 63 Ints in his career.

Conversely, Bortles has 69 TDs and 51 Ints with the Jags with 23 TDs and 16 Ints last year.