Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions from the Rams Game

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2017, 09:39 PM by Bullseye. Edit Reason: Correction made after fact check by astute poster )

When I arrived at the stadium, I felt something I haven't sensed at a game in a while-a sense of excitement overall.  I can't put my finger on why-outside of the team being in first place.  However, it was something of a mirage, as I was disappointed with the crowd, and ultimately the team.  My thoughts...

1.  I never thought I'd see the day our special teams performed worse than the Cincinnati game a few years back.  Today was that day.  Counting the two missed FGs (actually three had Myers not gotten the do over due to the penalty), the special teams gave up 23 points to a team that scored 27 for the game.  The opening kickoff gave up 7.  Nortman's horrible shank (16 yard punt) gave the Rams the ball on the Jaguars' side of the 50, allowing them a FG.  The defense got the Rams 3 and out on that possession.  He also had a 28 yard punt.  The blocked punt gave up 7 points.    God, why can't we get just average special teams play??!?!?   Wallbash Wallbash Wallbash 

2.  I hope Fournette is okay.  He is a frigging HUGE part of our offense.

3.  While special teams deserves the overwhelming majority of the blame, I thought the defense bears a small amount of responsibility for the loss.  They played well overall, make no mistake.  The secondary, especially early on, played very well.  Calais Campbell got two sacks.  My problem comes with the run defense, especially on that next to last Rams drive.  They could not stop the run and get the ball back to the offense when they needed.  A defense worthy of a nickname gets the ball back to the offense in that situation, and doesn't allow a team to run the ball down their throats down the field in clutch.

4.  This was a strange game for the offense.  Fournette comes out like gangbusters in the first quarter.  But then, starting in the second quarter, the offense had stretches where there were 2nd and 10+ yards on numerous consecutive possessions.  Bortles threw for more yards than the Rams had total yards,  but generated no points in the passing game and threw a TD pass to Ivory. But he threw a pick that ended a promising drive that would have tied the game.  The run blocking was decent to good, but the Rams seemed to get more pressure than any team we played thus far.  It seemed 2-3 of the sacks were Bortles stepping up in the pocket allowing linemen already blocked to disengage and make the play. 

5.  Continuing on the OL, from what I could tell, Shatley played decently at C.  Of course, a review of the game video might give me a different take.  I'm wondering how Linder could fit in at one of the G positions once he is better. Edit: After review of Fournette's 75 yard run, Shatley moved his man completely out of his gap. Excellent job on that play.

6.  I have to give credit to the Rams offense.  While they did not generate much in the way of yards and points, I saw some things that impressed me.  They constantly varied the tempo, often going no huddle and quick snap.  They ran that Jet sweep early, and the threat posed by that helped keep the run defense honest.  I thought the Jaguars' defensive line played better than the stats indicated, but part of the issue with the lack of sacks was Goff getting rid of the ball quickly.  Part of the issue  was constant use of roll outs.  I can see why the Rams have improved offensively.  They seem well coached.

7.  Rookie Watch:
  • Leonard Fournette had some absolutely beautiful runs today in rushing for over 100 yard in the game.  On the first offensive play of the game, he ran for 75 and a TD.  Also had a nice run off the left side where he gave a spin move and got extra yardage.  But he got hurt at the end.  Hopefully he's okay.
  • Cam Robinson-had a couple of penalties, a face mask and a hold.  Can't tell how he was in protection without going back and watching the video of the game.
  • Dawaune Smoot-saw him play, did not see him make an impact
  • Dede Westbrook-DNP
  • Blair Brown-I think he played, but he did not stand out.
  • Keelan Cole-had a catch.
8.  Marqise Lee had a pretty good game today.

9.  Bottom line:  The only solace I take in this loss is that we're still in first place-even if tied-and that it's an NFC loss.  But make no mistake, this loss represents a regression and yet another blown opportunity.   I don't know how, but special teams has to be fixed.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Messages In This Thread
Impressions from the Rams Game - by Bullseye - 10-15-2017, 09:02 PM
RE: Impressions from the Rams Game - by Bullseye - 10-15-2017, 09:08 PM
RE: Impressions from the Rams Game - by Bullseye - 10-15-2017, 09:20 PM
RE: Impressions from the Rams Game - by Cleatwood - 10-15-2017, 09:20 PM
RE: Impressions from the Rams Game - by Bullseye - 10-15-2017, 09:41 PM
RE: Impressions from the Rams Game - by Bullseye - 10-15-2017, 09:49 PM
RE: Impressions from the Rams Game - by Bullseye - 10-15-2017, 09:51 PM
RE: Impressions from the Rams Game - by Bullseye - 10-15-2017, 09:46 PM
RE: Impressions from the Rams Game - by Jags239 - 10-15-2017, 09:52 PM
RE: Impressions from the Rams Game - by MoJagFan - 10-15-2017, 10:31 PM
RE: Impressions from the Rams Game - by jaglyn - 10-16-2017, 12:53 AM