Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions from the Rams Game

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2017, 09:39 PM by Bullseye. Edit Reason: Correction made after fact check by astute poster )

When I arrived at the stadium, I felt something I haven't sensed at a game in a while-a sense of excitement overall.  I can't put my finger on why-outside of the team being in first place.  However, it was something of a mirage, as I was disappointed with the crowd, and ultimately the team.  My thoughts...

1.  I never thought I'd see the day our special teams performed worse than the Cincinnati game a few years back.  Today was that day.  Counting the two missed FGs (actually three had Myers not gotten the do over due to the penalty), the special teams gave up 23 points to a team that scored 27 for the game.  The opening kickoff gave up 7.  Nortman's horrible shank (16 yard punt) gave the Rams the ball on the Jaguars' side of the 50, allowing them a FG.  The defense got the Rams 3 and out on that possession.  He also had a 28 yard punt.  The blocked punt gave up 7 points.    God, why can't we get just average special teams play??!?!?   Wallbash Wallbash Wallbash 

2.  I hope Fournette is okay.  He is a frigging HUGE part of our offense.

3.  While special teams deserves the overwhelming majority of the blame, I thought the defense bears a small amount of responsibility for the loss.  They played well overall, make no mistake.  The secondary, especially early on, played very well.  Calais Campbell got two sacks.  My problem comes with the run defense, especially on that next to last Rams drive.  They could not stop the run and get the ball back to the offense when they needed.  A defense worthy of a nickname gets the ball back to the offense in that situation, and doesn't allow a team to run the ball down their throats down the field in clutch.

4.  This was a strange game for the offense.  Fournette comes out like gangbusters in the first quarter.  But then, starting in the second quarter, the offense had stretches where there were 2nd and 10+ yards on numerous consecutive possessions.  Bortles threw for more yards than the Rams had total yards,  but generated no points in the passing game and threw a TD pass to Ivory. But he threw a pick that ended a promising drive that would have tied the game.  The run blocking was decent to good, but the Rams seemed to get more pressure than any team we played thus far.  It seemed 2-3 of the sacks were Bortles stepping up in the pocket allowing linemen already blocked to disengage and make the play. 

5.  Continuing on the OL, from what I could tell, Shatley played decently at C.  Of course, a review of the game video might give me a different take.  I'm wondering how Linder could fit in at one of the G positions once he is better. Edit: After review of Fournette's 75 yard run, Shatley moved his man completely out of his gap. Excellent job on that play.

6.  I have to give credit to the Rams offense.  While they did not generate much in the way of yards and points, I saw some things that impressed me.  They constantly varied the tempo, often going no huddle and quick snap.  They ran that Jet sweep early, and the threat posed by that helped keep the run defense honest.  I thought the Jaguars' defensive line played better than the stats indicated, but part of the issue with the lack of sacks was Goff getting rid of the ball quickly.  Part of the issue  was constant use of roll outs.  I can see why the Rams have improved offensively.  They seem well coached.

7.  Rookie Watch:
  • Leonard Fournette had some absolutely beautiful runs today in rushing for over 100 yard in the game.  On the first offensive play of the game, he ran for 75 and a TD.  Also had a nice run off the left side where he gave a spin move and got extra yardage.  But he got hurt at the end.  Hopefully he's okay.
  • Cam Robinson-had a couple of penalties, a face mask and a hold.  Can't tell how he was in protection without going back and watching the video of the game.
  • Dawaune Smoot-saw him play, did not see him make an impact
  • Dede Westbrook-DNP
  • Blair Brown-I think he played, but he did not stand out.
  • Keelan Cole-had a catch.
8.  Marqise Lee had a pretty good game today.

9.  Bottom line:  The only solace I take in this loss is that we're still in first place-even if tied-and that it's an NFC loss.  But make no mistake, this loss represents a regression and yet another blown opportunity.   I don't know how, but special teams has to be fixed.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Second TD was a screen to Ivroy.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(10-15-2017, 09:07 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: Second TD was a screen to Ivroy.

Yes, I stand corrected.

Mea culpa to you, the board, and to Bortles.

(10-15-2017, 09:08 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 09:07 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: Second TD was a screen to Ivroy.

Yes, I stand corrected.

No worries. I was there too. Another weird game like the Jets game. Apparently these Jags have to get off to a fast start and impose their will early if they’re going to win the game. Liabilities at the QB position and check down options really hamstrings this team where a 2 score lead is enough to beat them. Coughlin’s primary objective in the offseason is to fix the QB situation.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

Goff had 124 yards. Jags should have won this game easily but they shoot themselves in the foot way too often.

Gifted the Rams 17 points. Can’t do that with a QB who can’t win a game when asked to step up.

(10-15-2017, 09:16 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 09:08 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Yes, I stand corrected.

No worries. I was there too. Another weird game like the Jets game. Apparently these Jags have to get off to a fast start and impose their will early if they’re going to win the game. Liabilities at the QB position and check down options really hamstrings this team where a 2 score lead is enough to beat them. Coughlin’s primary objective in the offseason is to fix the QB situation.

I agree. 

The offense seems mostly incapable of attacking downfield.

Even though it was incomplete, I did like the deep pass to Lee.

But the passing game is a huge problem.

The special teams shoulders the brunt of the blame for this loss, but Bortles' ineptitude as a professional QB kills any chance this team has if everything else doesn't go right which it didn't today. With mediocre QB play we overcome the special teams gaffs and win this game as our defense played well enough to win by surrendering just 13 points. Special teams has been solid this year prior to today and I have confidence that they will rebound in the following weeks and continue to be solid although Myers may find himself on the street soon. Watching Bortles "lead" this offense is aggravating to say the absolute least.

A sobering but on point analysis as always. I know you’re a patient fan Bullseye, so what do you think of the staff continuing to give Myers a paycheck?

(10-15-2017, 09:34 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: A sobering but on point analysis as always. I know you’re a patient fan Bullseye, so what do you think of the staff continuing to give Myers a paycheck?

I have long ago lost patience with Myers.

For Goodness sake, the team has to turn off the video boards to accommodate him on FGs and extra points, and he still can't make them.

There has to be a balance between FG accuracy and leg strength on kickoffs.

If he's not making the FGs, he's going to kick off less.

On the first sack of Bortles, Shatley seemed to miss a stunt.

(10-15-2017, 09:41 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 09:34 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: A sobering but on point analysis as always. I know you’re a patient fan Bullseye, so what do you think of the staff continuing to give Myers a paycheck?

I have long ago lost patience with Myers.

For Goodness sake, the team has to turn off the video boards to accommodate him on FGs and extra points, and he still can't make them.

Is this actually true?
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(10-15-2017, 09:47 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 09:41 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I have long ago lost patience with Myers.

Is this actually true?

Not turn off literally.

Whichever side he is facing, they have a dark background with the Jaguars head logo in the middle.

The board behind him has the live action shot.  I noticed that his first year.

(10-15-2017, 09:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 09:47 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: Is this actually true?

Not turn off literally.

Whichever side he is facing, they have a dark background with the Jaguars head logo in the middle.

Just wow.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(10-15-2017, 09:50 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 09:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Not turn off literally.

Just wow.

It's the only time in the games where they do that with the boards.

My concern with the run defense is how often the runner gets to the second level with no defender touching him ever. Obviously if you look at the stats today Fournette had a higher ypc becuase of the big run, but Gurley was constantly not being touched until 3-4 yards downfield. When Fournette gets a decent run is because he's breaking a tackle, spinning, or stiff arming someone at the LOS.

I'm glad I spent the remainder of my day driving to see Mt. Rainier up close.

Ugh this team. 10 Points is like an insurmountable mountain to climb. We are so hampered at the point positions (QB and Kicker). It is unrealistic to expecting scores from the defense to save the day. In the Jets and Rams game, the defense almost did it but you have to get pass completions.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(10-15-2017, 09:32 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: The special teams shoulders the brunt of the blame for this loss, but Bortles' ineptitude as a professional QB kills any chance this team has if everything else doesn't go right which it didn't today.  With mediocre QB play we overcome the special teams gaffs and win this game as our defense played well enough to win by surrendering just 13 points.  Special teams has been solid this year prior to today and I have confidence that they will rebound in the following weeks and continue to be solid although Myers may find himself on the street soon.  Watching Bortles "lead" this offense is aggravating to say the absolute least.

There's a lot to complain about with Bortles, but not today. Much of his passing was in 3rd and long situations, and the OL broke down frequently. There was also blatant pass interference on two incompletions to Lee that weren't called. In spite of all of that Bortles put up good numbers, 23/35 1 TD, 1 INT and over ten yards per completion, including some long third down completions. 

On the down side, he had at least one incompletion that was a poor choice and could have been intercepted. He also had two fumbles. Fortunately both were recovered by the linemen who's missed blocks allowed them.

Trying to make Bortles into a game manager seems to be working, but it limits the big play scoring. Fournette can't be expected to do everything. If the Jags has traded for Eli Manning would the coaching staff still use the same game plan that limits our scoring? I suspect they would, especially without a true deep threat WR.

We miss Allen Robinson. Cole has been very disappointing.

Special teams gave up 17 points, and left another six on the field with two (almost three) missed field goals. It sure was a coup to hire the best ST coordinator in the NFL, wasn't it?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Jaguars: "Come over to the east coast, if you make the plane ride, we'll give you a win"

Rams: "Yea sure"

(10-15-2017, 09:32 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: The special teams shoulders the brunt of the blame for this loss, but Bortles' ineptitude as a professional QB kills any chance this team has if everything else doesn't go right which it didn't today.  With mediocre QB play we overcome the special teams gaffs and win this game as our defense played well enough to win by surrendering just 13 points.  Special teams has been solid this year prior to today and I have confidence that they will rebound in the following weeks and continue to be solid although Myers may find himself on the street soon.  Watching Bortles "lead" this offense is aggravating to say the absolute least.

Conversely, you can win with a bad QB by making our run defense as good as the one in Denver.