Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From The Colts Game

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2017, 05:05 PM by Bullseye.)

My thoughts...

1.  I am not sure whether it's based upon the merits of each individual game, or because we have been so win deprived over the years, but it seems lately the wins have been particularly satisfying.  I'm sitting here wondering which win over the Colts I enjoyed the most between the 375, the fiddy burger, or today's shut out.

2.  Really hope Cam Robinson is okay.

3.  Good job by Bortles and the passing game today, though I am inclined to think it's more an indictment against the weak Colts defense.  Nevertheless, the offense had to capitalize on their opportunities, weak defense or not, and the passing game came through in fine style.

4.  I think the running game deserves credit too.  Yeldon has gotten a ton of flak on this board and among jaguars fans, but he had a very good game today with a long TD run.  I didn't like the fumble by Ivory, but I thought the running game overall did well.  This means the OL played well too, even after Robinson went out.  Heck let's face it.  The offense had over 500 yards and scored 27 points.  Not too much to complain about to be honest.

5.  As good as the offense was, I thought the defense was arguably better.  It pitched a shut out of the Colts in Indy!  Excluding the playoffs, this was the Jaguars first shutout in eleven years, and the first time the Colts have been shut out since before Peyton Manning.  The defense pressured Brissett just about all of the game.  Because the team worked with the lead most of the game, the run defense, while showing vulnerability, was not a negative factor for most of the game.  IIRC, Campbell, Fowler and Ngakoue each notched 2 sacks a piece.  Just saw the Jaguars' defense notched ten (10) sacks again!  I can't recall any defense recording 10 sacks a game more than once a year.  I've gotta look that up.  I can't tell you how nice it is to watch a Jaguars-Colts game and not see T.Y. Hilton or some other receiver destroy our secondary. 

6.  Special teams rightfully got trashed after last week's projectile vomit inducing performance.  Today, they showed what a competent to good special teams performance looks like.  New guy kicker Josh Lambo hit both of his FGs and all of his extra points in Indy, which is light years better than Myers' history there.  Lambo did not get the same distance on his kickoffs, but the coverage was there.  There were no punt blocks and the punt coverage was good.  Nortman had two good punts without any shanks.  Mickens, the other new guy, showed reliable hands on punt returns, if not much in the way of return ability.  I think special teams still needs to atone for the Rams game with some kick blocks and big returns in a game or games in the future, but being routinely competent is a good start.

7.  Rookie Watch:
  • Leonard fournette-DNP.  Glad he didn't, because by the next game, he will have had two and a half weeks of rest to get better.
  • Cam Robinson-wa sinjured early in the game.  I have not heard any updates.  I repeat I hope he is ok.  we will need him the second half of the season.
  • Dawaune Smoot-Saw him get snaps in garbage time.  He did not stand out.
  • Dede Westbrook-DNP.  Glad that this will likely change after the bye week.
  • Blair Brown-did not notice him if he did play.
  • Keelan Cole-Had his best game as a Jaguar, showing the deep speed we all saw in the preseason on the 57 yard post.  Would have been a TD had Bortles hit him in stride instead of making him wait on the ball.
8.  There was a really weird play late in the second quarter where it seemed all of our defensive linemen were tripped at the same time.  I hadn't seen anything like that.

9.  Did I express my get well wishes to Cam Robinson?  Get well soon Cam.

10.  Bottom line-It's nice to have a mid season bye and go into it still in first place.  We now have a chance to get Fournette, Robinson (barring some disastrous news), Linder and Westbrook healthy.  It's always great beating the Colts.  Even better blowing them out.  Better still shutting them out, and better yet shutting them out at their place.  Goodness knows they have had some butt kickings coming their way from us.  In any event, I will savor this win a little longer than normal.  I trust many of you will do the same.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Messages In This Thread
Impressions From The Colts Game - by Bullseye - 10-22-2017, 05:02 PM
RE: Impressions From The Colts Game - by knarnn - 10-22-2017, 05:15 PM
RE: Impressions From The Colts Game - by Jag - 10-22-2017, 05:15 PM
RE: Impressions From The Colts Game - by Mowerguy - 10-22-2017, 05:21 PM
RE: Impressions From The Colts Game - by rpr52121 - 10-22-2017, 05:29 PM
RE: Impressions From The Colts Game - by copycat - 10-22-2017, 05:29 PM
RE: Impressions From The Colts Game - by Bullseye - 10-22-2017, 07:51 PM
RE: Impressions From The Colts Game - by Jags239 - 10-22-2017, 05:31 PM
RE: Impressions From The Colts Game - by Nikowho - 10-22-2017, 06:11 PM
RE: Impressions From The Colts Game - by Bullseye - 10-22-2017, 08:07 PM
RE: Impressions From The Colts Game - by jaglyn - 10-22-2017, 08:12 PM