Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From The Colts Game

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2017, 05:05 PM by Bullseye.)

My thoughts...

1.  I am not sure whether it's based upon the merits of each individual game, or because we have been so win deprived over the years, but it seems lately the wins have been particularly satisfying.  I'm sitting here wondering which win over the Colts I enjoyed the most between the 375, the fiddy burger, or today's shut out.

2.  Really hope Cam Robinson is okay.

3.  Good job by Bortles and the passing game today, though I am inclined to think it's more an indictment against the weak Colts defense.  Nevertheless, the offense had to capitalize on their opportunities, weak defense or not, and the passing game came through in fine style.

4.  I think the running game deserves credit too.  Yeldon has gotten a ton of flak on this board and among jaguars fans, but he had a very good game today with a long TD run.  I didn't like the fumble by Ivory, but I thought the running game overall did well.  This means the OL played well too, even after Robinson went out.  Heck let's face it.  The offense had over 500 yards and scored 27 points.  Not too much to complain about to be honest.

5.  As good as the offense was, I thought the defense was arguably better.  It pitched a shut out of the Colts in Indy!  Excluding the playoffs, this was the Jaguars first shutout in eleven years, and the first time the Colts have been shut out since before Peyton Manning.  The defense pressured Brissett just about all of the game.  Because the team worked with the lead most of the game, the run defense, while showing vulnerability, was not a negative factor for most of the game.  IIRC, Campbell, Fowler and Ngakoue each notched 2 sacks a piece.  Just saw the Jaguars' defense notched ten (10) sacks again!  I can't recall any defense recording 10 sacks a game more than once a year.  I've gotta look that up.  I can't tell you how nice it is to watch a Jaguars-Colts game and not see T.Y. Hilton or some other receiver destroy our secondary. 

6.  Special teams rightfully got trashed after last week's projectile vomit inducing performance.  Today, they showed what a competent to good special teams performance looks like.  New guy kicker Josh Lambo hit both of his FGs and all of his extra points in Indy, which is light years better than Myers' history there.  Lambo did not get the same distance on his kickoffs, but the coverage was there.  There were no punt blocks and the punt coverage was good.  Nortman had two good punts without any shanks.  Mickens, the other new guy, showed reliable hands on punt returns, if not much in the way of return ability.  I think special teams still needs to atone for the Rams game with some kick blocks and big returns in a game or games in the future, but being routinely competent is a good start.

7.  Rookie Watch:
  • Leonard fournette-DNP.  Glad he didn't, because by the next game, he will have had two and a half weeks of rest to get better.
  • Cam Robinson-wa sinjured early in the game.  I have not heard any updates.  I repeat I hope he is ok.  we will need him the second half of the season.
  • Dawaune Smoot-Saw him get snaps in garbage time.  He did not stand out.
  • Dede Westbrook-DNP.  Glad that this will likely change after the bye week.
  • Blair Brown-did not notice him if he did play.
  • Keelan Cole-Had his best game as a Jaguar, showing the deep speed we all saw in the preseason on the 57 yard post.  Would have been a TD had Bortles hit him in stride instead of making him wait on the ball.
8.  There was a really weird play late in the second quarter where it seemed all of our defensive linemen were tripped at the same time.  I hadn't seen anything like that.

9.  Did I express my get well wishes to Cam Robinson?  Get well soon Cam.

10.  Bottom line-It's nice to have a mid season bye and go into it still in first place.  We now have a chance to get Fournette, Robinson (barring some disastrous news), Linder and Westbrook healthy.  It's always great beating the Colts.  Even better blowing them out.  Better still shutting them out, and better yet shutting them out at their place.  Goodness knows they have had some butt kickings coming their way from us.  In any event, I will savor this win a little longer than normal.  I trust many of you will do the same.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yeldon should be the number 2 RB going forward

@ryanohalloran
#Jaguars LT Cam Robinson left locker room in walking boot and crutches. Term calling it a sprained ankle.
4:53 PM · Oct 22, 2017
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Congrats on the win we suck lol. Cant imagine how it would have been if fournette played.

Great win and I'm glad we play the bungles in week 9.....just maaaaaybe we'll win.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2017, 05:23 PM by homebiscuit.)

My impression? The clots suck. Still, our guys capitalized big time.

(10-22-2017, 05:21 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: Great win and I'm glad we play the bungles in week 9.....just maaaaaybe we'll win.

It's a home game, so...

We should rename the main Jags forum to the "The Road Team" in order to be more accurate.

Good as always Bullseye. I am out of town again and was unable to hear the broadcast, though I was able to watch (b-dubs). What the reaction to the pushing off call that negated the touchdown?

I am also curious about what Beuerlein had to say while they were talking about him being the 1st ever Jag QB. In the past he has not been too kind to the organization.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

My impression is that the offensive game plan this year is more what was holding Bortles back then himself. He's looked alright when the balls in his hands to make a play, just Fournette is legit. I'm not saying he's a franchise QB but he's nowhere near the bottom and still has upside every game if needed.

(10-22-2017, 05:29 PM)copycat Wrote: Good as always Bullseye.  I am out of town again and was unable to hear the broadcast, though I was able to watch (b-dubs).  What the reaction to the pushing off call that negated the touchdown?  

I am also curious about what Beuerlein had to say while they were talking about him being the 1st ever Jag QB.  In the past he has not been too kind to the organization.

Beuerlein was annoying throughout the game. He rambled on about his time with the Jags, on screen, while the Jags had a running back injured on the field, but the camera stayed on the broadcast booth the entire time. Before I learned it was Beuerlein in the booth I thought it might be a former Colt because he kept bad-mouthing the Jags.
“ I was a male, trapped in a female body........and then I was born. “

(10-22-2017, 05:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote: My thoughts...
[snip]
10.  Bottom line-It's nice to have a mid season bye and go into it still in first place.  We now have a chance to get Fournette, Robinson (barring some disastrous news), Linder and Westbrook healthy.  It's always great beating the Colts.  Even better blowing them out.  Better still shutting them out, and better yet shutting them out at their place.  Goodness knows they have had some butt kickings coming their way from us.  In any event, I will savor this win a little longer than normal.  I trust many of you will do the same.

Well, technically we're in second place since tacks own the head to head but hopefully we'll be able to remedy that soon.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I'm so glad to have a defense that hammers quarterbacks for a change! I hated watching Jags defenses in previous years where they could decently (Sometimes) stop the run, but be absolutely helpless in rushing the passer, or shutting down wide recievers...

They may still not be the best in either of those categories, but damn it, they're up there right now. Even if the AFC south isn't a great division.

If they could JUST get the passing game to even out like this for the rest of the year, who knows what could happen. Still not getting my hopes up just yet; I want to see them beat Tennessee next time, and get the division championship if they can.

The 1984 Bears were the last team to post two 10 sack games in 1 season.

The 375 was more satisfying because it was Payton in his SB year. That was a quality opponent that we stomped (even tho the Colts D was still bad). Todays win was kicking a guy when hes down. Of course, since that guy is the Colts, and they certainly did that to us for years with Manning, it is particularly enjoyable.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Too bad we beat them in 2012 in a meaningless game.

i just want to add some shoutouts to players we have all criticized throughout the offseason and season.

1. Yeldon - the guy showed some speed we haven't seen, didn't dance in the hole, and looked like a capable running back. The way this team wants to run the ball its a good thing to have the luxury of not needing to have him active for every game
2. Wells - When Cam went down I panicked because of what Wells has shown me in the past. He came in and played a solid game for us and was never the liability I was expecting.
3. Hurns - like Yeldon many of us have been down on him or wanted him traded. Today he made great catches, got open, and broke tackles for big gains. Like Yeldon Hurns is still a reliable pair of hands that can produce when given time.
4. Bortles - He made some big boy throws today, even if the accuracy is still a concern I thought he played extremely well. I made a point to watch his throwing motion in the second half and it looks greatly improved from last year and early in the season this year.
5. Cole - I was starting to think the big stage was too big for him and the preseason was a fluke, he produced today and you gotta think that will show up more in the future
6. Lewis - While he isn't likely to get more than 50 yards in a week or a TD there is a nice role in this offense for him blocking, taking the unexpected pass for a first, or bodying up in the endzone.
7. Day - been down on him lately after expecting a lot after his preseason, he got a great sack today and that should worry other teams who may try and take a shot when our backup dline comes in.
8. Hackett - we all have our issues with playcalling, without Fournette I don't think you can make a good argument against the game plan he put out there today.
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

(10-22-2017, 05:14 PM)Go Jagwaas Derp Wrote: Yeldon should be the number 2 RB going forward

Agreed. Ivory never seems to find a hole. I was never big on Yeldon, but I think he has a little better vision. If Ivory can't find the hole, he just tried to run through the back of his lineman. Lots of 2 yard runs

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2017, 07:55 PM by Bullseye.)

(10-22-2017, 05:29 PM)copycat Wrote: Good as always Bullseye.  I am out of town again and was unable to hear the broadcast, though I was able to watch (b-dubs).  What the reaction to the pushing off call that negated the touchdown?  

I am also curious about what Beuerlein had to say while they were talking about him being the 1st ever Jag QB.  In the past he has not been too kind to the organization.

I watched the game at my house, and I haven't heard any post game interviews on the subject, so I am only privy to my own reaction.  I've seen worse not called, but I wasn't overly broken up about it because we were in control of the game.

Beuerlein didn't even mention Coughlin by name, and admitted he's still bent out of shape about being yanked in the 3rd quarter of that inaugural game.

(10-22-2017, 06:05 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 05:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote: My thoughts...
[snip]

Well, technically we're in second place since tacks own the head to head but hopefully we'll be able to remedy that soon.

I stand corrected.

I agree with you on fixing that.

(10-22-2017, 06:14 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: The 1984 Bears were the last team to post two 10 sack games in 1 season.

Makes sense, considering they notched 72 that year.

(10-22-2017, 07:36 PM)realtorpat Wrote: i just want to add some shoutouts to players we have all criticized throughout the offseason and season.

1.  Yeldon -  the guy showed some speed we haven't seen, didn't dance in the hole, and looked like a capable running back.  The way this team wants to run the ball its a good thing to have the luxury of not needing to have him active for every game
2.  Wells - When Cam went down I panicked because of what Wells has shown me in the past.  He came in and played a solid game for us and was never the liability I was expecting.
3.  Hurns - like Yeldon many of us have been down on him or wanted him traded.  Today he made great catches, got open, and broke tackles for big gains.  Like Yeldon Hurns is still a reliable pair of hands that can produce when given time.
4.  Bortles - He made some big boy throws today, even if the accuracy is still a concern I thought he played extremely well.  I made a point to watch his throwing motion in the second half and it looks greatly improved from last year and early in the season this year.  
5.  Cole - I was starting to think the big stage was too big for him and the preseason was a fluke, he produced today and you gotta think that will show up more in the future
6.  Lewis - While he isn't likely to get more than 50 yards in a week or a TD there is a nice role in this offense for him blocking, taking the unexpected pass for a first, or bodying up in the endzone.
7.  Day - been down on him lately after expecting a lot after his preseason, he got a great sack today and that should worry other teams who may try and take a shot when our backup dline comes in.
8.  Hackett - we all have our issues with playcalling, without Fournette I don't think you can make a good argument against the game plan he put out there today.

Good job.  I agree completely.

(10-22-2017, 06:14 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: The 1984 Bears were the last team to post two 10 sack games in 1 season.

I'm wondering just how good this pass rush is going to be.

It is my understanding we have 33 sacks for the year after seven games.

We are now on a pace to break that '84 Bears single season sack record.

There are differences between the defenses.

That 84 Bears team could stop the run (+Bears).  They also blitzed a lot more than we do (+Jaguars).

We have a better secondary (+Jags), they had better LBs (+Bears).

Marrone may end up being a candidate for Coach of the Year if we finish over .500 and make the playoffs