Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Students in UK being taught boys can have periods

Question 

Story here and other websites are carrying it too.

"PRIMARY school pupils will now be told that boys can have periods too in new sex education guidance.

The advice to teachers was approved by Brighton Council in a bid to tackle stigma surrounding menstruation.

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]The report states: "Trans boys and men and non-binary people may have periods", adding "menstruation must be inclusive of 'all genders'."
[/font]

It also orders that "bins for used period products are provided in all toilets" for children and that trans pupils and students should be provided with additional support from a school nurse if needed.

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]The council said it was also "important for all genders  to be able to learn and talk about menstruation together".[/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]Um..... I'm a bit confused. First of all, why on earth are you talking to 8 year olds about menstruation; second of all, are they saying trans boys can have periods meaning girls who see themselves as boys will have those periods? And what are binary people? Those who see themselves as neither gender? And are the parents of all these kids aware that this is being taught? [/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]I never raised kids so I have no idea what is taught in American schools regarding this subject. I only remember vague classes regarding this when I was in school and there were no boys in those classes and the parents decided if their daughter was taught this in school. [/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]I know there are girls who are never told about this subject at home and only find out when it happens and they freak out and I sympathize with them, and for them a class like this is necessary. But to bring boys into the room and discuss it this way is..... I would have been mortified. I'm not saying education for trans girls who think they're boys is not necessary because they will have periods, I'm saying biological boys and girls should not be forced into these conversations in the same classroom. This article didn't quite articulate how this is going to happen in a way that I can understand, and reading other articles didn't clear it up so if anyone, especially our UK friends know what they're talking about and can elaborate that would be great.[/font]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Messages In This Thread
Students in UK being taught boys can have periods - by americus 2.0 - 12-21-2018, 07:48 PM