Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We need a Hero

(03-19-2019, 05:16 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-19-2019, 01:36 PM)Inziladun Wrote: I feel like this is understated. Especially these days, where your degree comes from matters less and less, it's more about what your degree is in, especially with such a shortage in STEM and Vocational fields. With the exception of some Ivy League schools landing you jobs in prestigious law firms, the difference is really minor for us plebs down here fighting to be middle of the pack.

I got a pretty good gig with a simple IT degree from FSCJ and I'm only at the start of my career. Most people who are driven for success will achieve it in some way or another, even if they don't have a degree. My brother in law was a millionaire at the age of 18 from flipping houses. Used the money to buy into a company and just recently started a second one.  I bring it up because I think it's interesting that  people who are driven for monetary success usually have very unique personality traits from what I've noticed. Most of us are okay with working 9-5 as long as we don't have to worry about bills too much.

I think that it's all a matter of perspective and I don't believe that a degree is necessary to be successful.  I guess what I'm saying is that what people view as "successful" differs.  "Success" doesn't mean monetary wealth.  I'm the only one of 4 siblings that doesn't have a degree.  

The oldest (my brother) has a master's degree in theology.  Today he works in an office job and earns a fairly good income in the $75k range (upper middle class income in his area of the country).  He lives a good, comfortable life, rents a place in the downtown metro part of his city and doesn't struggle.

The next one is my sister who has a master's degree in psychology (was at one time close to getting her PHD).  She's a mess and works just enough to get by.  My best guess is she earns something in the $35k-$40k range (pretty much middle class for where she lives), but is very poor when it comes to money management.  She rents cheap apartments and is constantly moving, and always compares herself with others.  She has very low self-esteem and often makes up lies to try to "fit in" with other people.

Next is my other sister that has a master's degree in nursing.  She currently teaches nursing and earns over 6 figures (upper middle class for where she lives) and is doing very well.  Her husband (who also posses a degree in political science and earns over 6 figures) and her are preparing for retirement and own homes/properties in a few different states.  Needless to say they live rather comfortably.

Then there's me.  I never went to college and never had any desire to.  My education came from serving in the Navy as well as reading and "teaching myself".  I have had to teach and train students with electronics engineering degrees and computer science degrees from UF on more than one occasion.  I currently earn over 6 figures and am getting ready to retire myself at an "early" age (mid 50's).  My wife never graduated high school and earns roughly $45k per year here in Jacksonville.  We managed to pay off our home, our vehicles (with the exception of farm equipment) and purchase some property (35 acres) that we work on over the weekends to build our ultimate retirement home.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I agree with you.  I think too much in our society it's stressed that you have to go to college and get a degree to be successful.  Meanwhile, I know many people that followed the same path I did or something similar (trade school) that have had success.  Again, I think the idea of "success" is relative.  Success != monetary wealth.  It's not about what you earn or what you have in the bank.  It's all about creating a comfortable life and being able to retire on your terms and not depend on the government to fund your retirement.
That’s great that you were able to do all that without a degree but at your current job, would you even hire someone today without an engineering degree? Have there been kids who were your age when you started hired today with no degree?

Back when you were starting out, times were simpler. What jobs currently hire kids without college degrees? Fast food? Construction labor?

Messages In This Thread
We need a Hero - by Sammy - 03-15-2019, 05:45 PM
RE: We need a Hero - by homebiscuit - 03-15-2019, 07:34 PM
RE: We need a Hero - by Jags - 03-15-2019, 08:20 PM
RE: We need a Hero - by Sammy - 03-16-2019, 01:35 PM
RE: We need a Hero - by flsprtsgod - 03-16-2019, 08:09 AM
RE: We need a Hero - by Sammy - 03-16-2019, 04:07 PM
RE: We need a Hero - by mikesez - 03-16-2019, 06:07 PM
RE: We need a Hero - by Inziladun - 03-19-2019, 01:36 PM
RE: We need a Hero - by jagibelieve - 03-19-2019, 05:16 PM
RE: We need a Hero - by Cleatwood - 03-19-2019, 07:11 PM
RE: We need a Hero - by copycat - 03-19-2019, 10:33 PM