Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We need a Hero

(03-20-2019, 08:15 AM)Inziladun Wrote:
(03-19-2019, 07:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: That’s great that you were able to do all that without a degree but at your current job, would you even hire someone today without an engineering degree? Have there been kids who were your age when you started hired today with no degree?

Back when you were starting out, times were simpler. What jobs currently hire kids without college degrees? Fast food? Construction labor?

I'll bite. In my job field, IT degrees are by and large completely unimportant. This pretty much spans across the entirety of the Computer science field. Mostly it just matters what your experience is. A degree definitely helps getting your foot in the door somewhere, but there's plenty of guys I've worked with that havent had degrees. Personally i could've started my career 5 years sooner with 0 degree, but didn't utilise my connection like a dummy. But I've known guys that have gotten jobs just from creating a little portfolio for themselves over the course of a couple months(made themselves a website, did a little project, ect.)

I guess the answer to your question is: most fields that are desperate for people. You could even be an airline pilot with no college education if you wanted to. Of course nothing is stopping you from making your own business. Online business are increasingly easy to run these days, the trick is finding a niche and scaling the business. There's tons of options available. I think a large problem is that society by and large places a large emphasis on college education. Schools are laughing their way to the bank from all the hype, meanwhile degrees become more and more worthless. I personally wouldn't recommend anyone get a degree if they were walking away with debt because of it.
Just looking through some of the best paying jobs available and there wasn't a single one that didn't require a minimum of a college education. I'm not saying that I agree with it but it just seems to be the way it is now.

Creating your own business sounds find and dandy but how long until you can actually make a profit with said business? 1 year? 2 years? 3 years? How will you make a living when your business isn't turning a profit?

Messages In This Thread
We need a Hero - by Sammy - 03-15-2019, 05:45 PM
RE: We need a Hero - by homebiscuit - 03-15-2019, 07:34 PM
RE: We need a Hero - by Jags - 03-15-2019, 08:20 PM
RE: We need a Hero - by Sammy - 03-16-2019, 01:35 PM
RE: We need a Hero - by flsprtsgod - 03-16-2019, 08:09 AM
RE: We need a Hero - by Sammy - 03-16-2019, 04:07 PM
RE: We need a Hero - by mikesez - 03-16-2019, 06:07 PM
RE: We need a Hero - by Inziladun - 03-19-2019, 01:36 PM
RE: We need a Hero - by jagibelieve - 03-19-2019, 05:16 PM
RE: We need a Hero - by Cleatwood - 03-19-2019, 07:11 PM
RE: We need a Hero - by copycat - 03-19-2019, 10:33 PM